Default Gas meter location - any laws/regulation on this??

Transco are in the process of renewing the gas supply to the block of
flats I live in. At present, my gas meter is located in a cupboard
within the flat, supplied by a central pipe that travels through the
building. Transco have proposed to run a new pipe on the outside of my
3 storey block, with a pipe coming into my flat through the main
bedroom with a meter here also. THe pipe will then run the length of
the bedroom to join the existing pipe in the cupboard to supply the
appliances. I am concerned about having a meter in my bedroom as my
existing cupboard/meter combo always smells strongly of gas. Are there
any regulations of safety guidance regarding the location of gas
meters?

I would appreciate any advice/guidance on this matter.

Many thanks!!

Doctor Drivel

"ben" wrote in message
. uk...
wrote:
Transco are in the process of renewing the gas supply to the block of
flats I live in. At present, my gas meter is located in a cupboard
within the flat, supplied by a central pipe that travels through the
building. Transco have proposed to run a new pipe on the outside of
my 3 storey block, with a pipe coming into my flat through the main
bedroom with a meter here also. THe pipe will then run the length of
the bedroom to join the existing pipe in the cupboard to supply the
appliances. I am concerned about having a meter in my bedroom as my
existing cupboard/meter combo always smells strongly of gas. Are
there any regulations of safety guidance regarding the location of gas
meters?

I would appreciate any advice/guidance on this matter.

Many thanks!!

Tell Transco your obejecting to this strongly and do not wish to have it
like this.
Its your flat that is where you live and they have to abide by what you
want, not what they want as an easy route to install their piping.

It is within regs to put the meter there. Gas meters should not smell at
all. Get it seen to. Tell them you do not want the meter in the bedroom
and for them to fin a suitable location. If they say no tell them you will
not allow them into the flat.

I used to design these things, and the last place you ever put one was in a
bedroom. I only ever put one in a bedroom as there literally was no other
location. I insisted on a spring door on the cupboard and a seal around the
door.

Alan

snip

I am concerned about having a meter in my bedroom as my
existing cupboard/meter combo always smells strongly of gas.

Then you have a leak. Make sure they replace the meter with a new one which
does not leak!

Alan.

ben

Alan wrote:
snip

I am concerned about having a meter in my bedroom as my
existing cupboard/meter combo always smells strongly of gas.

Then you have a leak. Make sure they replace the meter with a new one
which does not leak!

Alan.

Hmmm! I wonder why he's not sitting on the roof if its that strong a smell?

a couple of hours and he should of been a shade of blue.

raden

In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
I used to design these things,

Which one did you design ?

and the last place you ever put one was in a
bedroom. I only ever put one in a bedroom as there literally was no other
location.

But you're not CORGI

--
geoff
John Rumm

Doctor Drivel wrote:

and for them to fin a suitable location. If they say no tell them you will
not allow them into the flat.

You will probably find they have statutory power of entry if they want
to get stroppy...

--
Cheers,

John.

ben

John Rumm wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:

and for them to fin a suitable location. If they say no tell them
you will not allow them into the flat.

You will probably find they have statutory power of entry if they want
to get stroppy...

Who from?

If the Landord does not want Gas meter situated in the bedroom then they
have no right of entry.

Ben Blaukopf

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"ben" wrote in message
. uk...

wrote:

[...]

Apart from the obvious issue, my gas meter squeaks. I got it replaced -
the new one squeaks a bit too. It's not really a problem in the kitchen,
but would drive me nuts in the bedroom.

Ben

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Ben Blaukopf writes:
Apart from the obvious issue, my gas meter squeaks. I got it replaced -
the new one squeaks a bit too. It's not really a problem in the kitchen,
but would drive me nuts in the bedroom.

My parents use to have one which sounded like someone snoring...

--
Andrew Gabriel

tarquinlinbin

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 21:11:34 GMT, "ben" wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Fraid not,,he can quite reasonably ask for an explanation as to the
choice of the new meter position but fact is that it is no longer
permissable to have any great length of live gas main/service within a
premise and the live service should ideally be outside the
premise(outside meterbox) or terminate as soon as possible within the
premise. To ensure that this happens,service entry tees (the bit the
main on/off valve fits on) are manufactured to specific shortest
possible sizes.

This is a common situation,,for example,flat where the service riser
went up internally in the block or an ordinary house where the service
emerged somehwere centrally in the house from under the wooden floor
or concrete raft. In all such situations,the new service entry would
be sited to the periphery of the property,i.e external wall. The only
exceptions apply to tall multistory blocks which still have internal
risers but there are special regs/provisions for this relating to
support,fireproofing ,ventilation and regular inspection

Be a good Global citizen-CONSUMECONFORMOBEY

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.
http://www.sexuallymutilatedchild.org/
tarquinlinbin

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 04:52:19 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Doctor Drivel wrote:

and for them to fin a suitable location. If they say no tell them you will
not allow them into the flat.

You will probably find they have statutory power of entry if they want
to get stroppy...

Trust me,no one is getting stroppy,, Trandco is just proposing the
renew the main in the interests of customer safety. Current regs
prevent renewal to the existing position and therefore it needs to be
compliant with the latest regs,i.e outside wall entry,no probs,just
speak to people,no need for strops/creating difficulties that arent
there!

Be a good Global citizen-CONSUMECONFORMOBEY

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.
http://www.sexuallymutilatedchild.org/
tarquinlinbin

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 07:33:55 GMT, "ben" wrote:

John Rumm wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:

and for them to fin a suitable location. If they say no tell them
you will not allow them into the flat.

You will probably find they have statutory power of entry if they want
to get stroppy...

Who from?

If the Landord does not want Gas meter situated in the bedroom then they
have no right of entry.

But then the landlord may find that his tenant has no gas supply when
the mains are renewed!

Be a good Global citizen-CONSUMECONFORMOBEY

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.
http://www.sexuallymutilatedchild.org/
tarquinlinbin

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:03:10 +0100, "Alan"
wrote:

snip

I am concerned about having a meter in my bedroom as my
existing cupboard/meter combo always smells strongly of gas.

Then you have a leak. Make sure they replace the meter with a new one which
does not leak!

Alan.

Yes indeed but then maybe the householder will report it first!

Be a good Global citizen-CONSUMECONFORMOBEY

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.
http://www.sexuallymutilatedchild.org/
ben

John Rumm wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:

and for them to fin a suitable location. If they say no tell them
you will not allow them into the flat.

You will probably find they have statutory power of entry if they
want to get stroppy...

Who from?

If the Landord does not want Gas meter situated in the bedroom then
they have no right of entry.

But then the landlord may find that his tenant has no gas supply when
the mains are renewed!

Be a good Global citizen-CONSUMECONFORMOBEY

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.
http://www.sexuallymutilatedchild.org/

I dont think anyone in their right mind would have a gas meter installed in
their bedroom, colud be a wind up from the OP, but never the less..No way
would that happen and should'nt happen. The only time I know of a gas meter
being installed in a bedroom when its a bedsit.

Alex

tarquinlinbin wrote:
be sited to the periphery of the property,i.e external wall. The only
exceptions apply to tall multistory blocks which still have internal
risers but there are special regs/provisions for this relating to
support,fireproofing ,ventilation and regular inspection

Be a good Global citizen-CONSUMECONFORMOBEY

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.
http://www.sexuallymutilatedchild.org/

Can you fix your signature please - it should be preceeded by a new line
and --

thanks

--
Alex Meaden
Technical Support Officer
John Rumm

ben wrote:

and for them to fin a suitable location. If they say no tell them
you will not allow them into the flat.

You will probably find they have statutory power of entry if they want
to get stroppy...

Who from?

If the Landord does not want Gas meter situated in the bedroom then they
have no right of entry.

I don't expect that in reality you will have any problem - even if they
need to run a pipe through the bedroom I am sure they can locate the
meter somewhere else.

However statutory power of entry means just that. It is a right bestowed
on them by government that means they may effect entry to any premises
regardless of if they have been given explicit permission (or even had
it denied for that matter), and usually without need for any additional
form of warrant.

Gas and Electricity providers traditionally have this right so that they
can legally correct potentially dangerous faults in private property
without needing to get permission first.

There are a few other bodies that have this power. Customs and Excise is
one (not sure how that translates to the new HM Customs and Revenue....
how is that for a scary thought, the tax man breaking down your door!)
There are others, but I can't remember them at the mo.

--
Cheers,

John.

ben

John Rumm wrote:
ben wrote:

[...]

I know all about the rights Gas/Manweb have on gaining entry to a premises.
What I'm trying to explain is they do not have the right to enter the
premises if the occupant/landord has stipulated that he does not want the
Meter installed in the bedroom, however he has informed them that he has no
objection to have it installed elsewhere in the property, either in the
livingroom/hallway or backitchen, they then have to re-route the main pipe
underground and near to where the meter will be situated.

Sounds to me as they are avoiding ground work and looking to save themselves
some hard work.

tarquinlinbin

John Rumm wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:

and for them to fin a suitable location. If they say no tell them
you will not allow them into the flat.

You will probably find they have statutory power of entry if they
want to get stroppy...

Who from?

If the Landord does not want Gas meter situated in the bedroom then
they have no right of entry.

But then the landlord may find that his tenant has no gas supply when
the mains are renewed!

Be a good Global citizen-CONSUMECONFORMOBEY

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.
http://www.sexuallymutilatedchild.org/

I dont think anyone in their right mind would have a gas meter installed in
their bedroom, colud be a wind up from the OP, but never the less..No way
would that happen and should'nt happen. The only time I know of a gas meter
being installed in a bedroom when its a bedsit.

I dont see that it really matters as long as it is not a visual
intrusion. If it can be accomodated in a cupboard and its not in the
way then it sounds fine to me.

Be a good Global citizen-CONSUMECONFORMOBEY

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.
http://www.sexuallymutilatedchild.org/
Matt

"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

I used to design these things

Yes, of course you did DINKY

10 15mm Tees and a thermocouple

Just to update everyone.. the work has gone ahead - pipes have been
fitted, with the meter being moved on monday. It seems that this was
the last resort due to various different parties'
involvement/interests. They are due to box in the meter early next
week - is there any particular method for this that would be
preferable? An earlier post mentioned a spring door and seal
arrangement.

Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
I used to design these things,

Which one did you design ?

and the last place you ever put one was in a
bedroom. I only ever put one in a bedroom as there literally was no

other
location.

But you're not CORGI

Maxie, you don't to be Corgi to design.

Doctor Drivel

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

and for them to fin a suitable location. If they say no tell them you

will
not allow them into the flat.

You will probably find they have statutory power of entry if they want
to get stroppy...

To do what? All they can do is cut of from the outside. They can only
charge down a door unless they suspect an imminent explosion.

Andy Hall

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:37:19 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
I used to design these things,

Which one did you design ?

and the last place you ever put one was in a
bedroom. I only ever put one in a bedroom as there literally was no

other
location.

But you're not CORGI

Maxie, you don't to be Corgi to design.

That is truly scary.

What qualifications do you need?

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Tim Mitchell

In article , ben
writes
Alan wrote:
snip

I am concerned about having a meter in my bedroom as my
existing cupboard/meter combo always smells strongly of gas.

Then you have a leak. Make sure they replace the meter with a new one
which does not leak!

Alan.

Hmmm! I wonder why he's not sitting on the roof if its that strong a smell?

a couple of hours and he should of been a shade of blue.

Why? natural gas isn't poisonous.
--
Tim Mitchell

raden

In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
I used to design these things,

Which one did you design ?

and the last place you ever put one was in a
bedroom. I only ever put one in a bedroom as there literally was no

other
location.

But you're not CORGI

Maxie, you don't to be Corgi to design.

"I only ever put one in a bedroom as there literally was no
other
location."

is what I was referring to

and you seem to have conveniently missed out

"I used to design these things,

Which one did you design ?"

would you like to give a sensible answer please

--
geoff
raden

In message , Andy Hall
writes
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:37:19 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
I used to design these things,

Which one did you design ?

and the last place you ever put one was in a
bedroom. I only ever put one in a bedroom as there literally was no

other
location.

But you're not CORGI

Maxie, you don't to be Corgi to design.

That is truly scary.

What qualifications do you need?

Obviously not an ability to put all the words in a sentence required to
make it make sense

--
geoff
Ed Sirett

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:05:47 -0700, v.yare wrote:

Transco are in the process of renewing the gas supply to the block of
flats I live in. At present, my gas meter is located in a cupboard
within the flat, supplied by a central pipe that travels through the
building. Transco have proposed to run a new pipe on the outside of my
3 storey block, with a pipe coming into my flat through the main
bedroom with a meter here also. THe pipe will then run the length of
the bedroom to join the existing pipe in the cupboard to supply the
appliances. I am concerned about having a meter in my bedroom as my
existing cupboard/meter combo always smells strongly of gas. Are there
any regulations of safety guidance regarding the location of gas
meters?

I would appreciate any advice/guidance on this matter.

There should never be a smell of gas from any gas appliance indoors.
If there is, then there is a problem. Call 0800 111 999 and get them out
to fix it. If you are very unlucky the leak is on your pipework and they
will simply turn the gas off and tell you to get someone to fix the leak
in your cupboard. However there is a very good chance that the leak is on
there meter or their pipe work.

It may well be that the leak is very small nevertheless any smell of gas
indoors is a problem, if for no other reason than it may mask a bigger
more serious leak later on which no one takes any notice of.

If the new meter has remote reading then apart from the pipework (route no
doubt chosen to minimise their work), there is really no problem.

Ed Sirett

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:37:19 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote:

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
I used to design these things,

Which one did you design ?

and the last place you ever put one was in a
bedroom. I only ever put one in a bedroom as there literally was no

other
location.

But you're not CORGI

Maxie, you don't to be Corgi to design.

Blimey gas fitting with a pencil this is worse than I thought.

Ed Sirett

Doctor Drivel wrote:

and for them to fin a suitable location. If they say no tell them you will
not allow them into the flat.

You will probably find they have statutory power of entry if they want
to get stroppy...

In this case they probably don't have powers of forcible entry (unless
they suspected a dangerous situation). However you simply won't have gas
any more.

Ed Sirett

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 22:11:10 +0000, ben wrote:

Alan wrote:
snip

I am concerned about having a meter in my bedroom as my
existing cupboard/meter combo always smells strongly of gas.

Then you have a leak. Make sure they replace the meter with a new one
which does not leak!

Alan.

Hmmm! I wonder why he's not sitting on the roof if its that strong a smell?

a couple of hours and he should of been a shade of blue.

The old manufactured gas was highly toxic and a concentration much less
that lower explosive limit was fatal in minutes.

Natural gas is much less toxic. However gas leaks need to be fixed -
because some of them are serious and any leak might be just such.

Andy Hall

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 21:14:50 +0100, Ed Sirett
wrote:

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:37:19 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote:

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
I used to design these things,

Which one did you design ?

and the last place you ever put one was in a
bedroom. I only ever put one in a bedroom as there literally was no

other
location.

But you're not CORGI

Maxie, you don't to be Corgi to design.

Blimey gas fitting with a pencil this is worse than I thought.

Oh sure. Probably a clipboard as well.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Doctor Drivel

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:37:19 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
I used to design these things,

Which one did you design ?

and the last place you ever put one was in a
bedroom. I only ever put one in a bedroom as there literally was no

other
location.

But you're not CORGI

Maxie, you don't have to be Corgi to design.

That is truly scary.

What qualifications do you need?

To design? None.

Andy Hall

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 23:08:00 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:37:19 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
I used to design these things,

Which one did you design ?

and the last place you ever put one was in a
bedroom. I only ever put one in a bedroom as there literally was no
other
location.

But you're not CORGI

Maxie, you don't have to be Corgi to design.

That is truly scary.

What qualifications do you need?

To design? None.

Now I believe you can have done it....

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
raden

In message , Doctor Drivel
writes

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:37:19 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
I used to design these things,

Which one did you design ?

and the last place you ever put one was in a
bedroom. I only ever put one in a bedroom as there literally was no
other
location.

But you're not CORGI

Maxie, you don't have to be Corgi to design.

That is truly scary.

What qualifications do you need?

To design? None.

I'll ask again "Which one did you design ?"

easy question and simple for you to answer

--
geoff

Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Andy Hall
writes
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:37:19 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
I used to design these things,

Which one did you design ?

and the last place you ever put one was in a
bedroom. I only ever put one in a bedroom as there literally was no
other
location.

But you're not CORGI

Maxie, you don't to be Corgi to design.

That is truly scary.

What qualifications do you need?

Obviously not an ability to put all the words in a sentence required to
make it make sense

Maxie, are you sure about that?

Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Doctor Drivel
writes

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:37:19 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"raden" wrote in message
In message

ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
I used to design these things,

Which one did you design ?

and the last place you ever put one was in a
bedroom. I only ever put one in a bedroom as there literally was

no
other
location.

But you're not CORGI

Maxie, you don't have to be Corgi to design.

That is truly scary.

What qualifications do you need?

To design? None.

I'll ask again "Which one did you design ?"

easy question and simple for you to answer

Many, many of them. Maxie I was super brill.

Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
I used to design these things,

Which one did you design ?

and the last place you ever put one was in a
bedroom. I only ever put one in a bedroom as there literally was no

other
location.

But you're not CORGI

Maxie, you don't to be Corgi to design.

"I only ever put one in a bedroom as there literally was no
other
location."

is what I was referring to

and you seem to have conveniently missed out

"I used to design these things,

Which one did you design ?"

would you like to give a sensible answer please

Maxie, you are very confused. Falling off that tree again wearing that
frock and doing in your wrist has affected you.

Doctor Drivel

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:37:19 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote:

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
I used to design these things,

Which one did you design ?

and the last place you ever put one was in a
bedroom. I only ever put one in a bedroom as there literally was no

other
location.

But you're not CORGI

Maxie, you don't to be Corgi to design.

Blimey gas fitting with a pencil this is worse than I thought.

You want to try some of it instead of going by rule of thumb and old wives
tales.

Doctor Drivel

wrote:

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:37:19 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote:

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
I used to design these things,

Which one did you design ?

and the last place you ever put one was in a
bedroom. I only ever put one in a bedroom as there literally was no
other
location.

But you're not CORGI

Maxie, you don't to be Corgi to design.

Blimey gas fitting with a pencil this is worse than I thought.

Oh sure. Probably a clipboard as well.

Must have a clipboard.

Gas meter box location [email protected] UK diy 1 June 2nd 05 12:27 PM
Gas meter regulations Chris UK diy 11 April 20th 05 05:49 PM
Moving electricity meter, cutout and consumer unit nospam UK diy 2 July 26th 04 08:06 PM
munet digital electric watthour meter login problem INTERESTING TECHNOLOGY! jack morgan Home Repair 0 November 15th 03 07:21 PM
Huge water bill; freeze; meter failure; who should pay? Scoot Home Repair 10 July 22nd 03 02:51 AM