Doctor Drivel

"ben" wrote in message
. uk...
John Rumm wrote:
ben wrote:

and for them to fin a suitable location. If they say no tell them
you will not allow them into the flat.

You will probably find they have statutory power of entry if they
want to get stroppy...

Who from?

If the Landord does not want Gas meter situated in the bedroom then
they have no right of entry.

I don't expect that in reality you will have any problem - even if
they need to run a pipe through the bedroom I am sure they can locate
the meter somewhere else.

However statutory power of entry means just that. It is a right
bestowed on them by government that means they may effect entry to
any premises regardless of if they have been given explicit
permission (or even had it denied for that matter), and usually
without need for any additional form of warrant.

Gas and Electricity providers traditionally have this right so that
they can legally correct potentially dangerous faults in private
property without needing to get permission first.

There are a few other bodies that have this power. Customs and Excise
is one (not sure how that translates to the new HM Customs and
Revenue.... how is that for a scary thought, the tax man breaking
down your door!) There are others, but I can't remember them at the
mo.

I know all about the rights Gas/Manweb have on gaining entry to a

premises.
What I'm trying to explain is they do not have the right to enter the
premises if the occupant/landord has stipulated that he does not want the
Meter installed in the bedroom, however he has informed them that he has

no
objection to have it installed elsewhere in the property, either in the
livingroom/hallway or backitchen, they then have to re-route the main pipe
underground and near to where the meter will be situated.

Sounds to me as they are avoiding ground work and looking to save

themselves
some hard work.

Yep. I used to look at the property for the ideal meter locations, decide
where the risers where and only then decide where the underground pipes
would go. |They are doing it backwards to save time, effort and money.
Well that is the private cowboy sector for you.

Doctor Drivel

"Matt" wrote in message
"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

I used to design these things

Yes, of course you did DINKY

Double Income No Kids Yet ?

tut, tut.

Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
ups.com...
Just to update everyone.. the work has gone ahead - pipes have been
fitted, with the meter being moved on monday. It seems that this was
the last resort due to various different parties'
involvement/interests. They are due to box in the meter early next
week - is there any particular method for this that would be
preferable? An earlier post mentioned a spring door and seal
arrangement.

That is not mandatory, I just suggested that to the builders whop did it.
Make sure the cupboard is soundproofed as much as possible, as some maters
can make a noise. Not what you want in a bedroom

Doctor Drivel

"tarquinlinbin" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 21:11:34 GMT, "ben" wrote:

wrote:
Transco are in the process of renewing the gas supply to the block of
flats I live in. At present, my gas meter is located in a cupboard
within the flat, supplied by a central pipe that travels through the
building. Transco have proposed to run a new pipe on the outside of
my 3 storey block, with a pipe coming into my flat through the main
bedroom with a meter here also. THe pipe will then run the length of
the bedroom to join the existing pipe in the cupboard to supply the
appliances. I am concerned about having a meter in my bedroom as my
existing cupboard/meter combo always smells strongly of gas. Are
there any regulations of safety guidance regarding the location of gas
meters?

I would appreciate any advice/guidance on this matter.

Many thanks!!

Tell Transco your obejecting to this strongly and do not wish to have it
like this.
Its your flat that is where you live and they have to abide by what you
want, not what they want as an easy route to install their piping.

Fraid not,,he can quite reasonably ask for an explanation as to the
choice of the new meter position but fact is that it is no longer
permissable to have any great length of live gas main/service within a
premise and the live service should ideally be outside the
premise(outside meterbox) or terminate as soon as possible within the
premise. To ensure that this happens,service entry tees (the bit the
main on/off valve fits on) are manufactured to specific shortest
possible sizes.

This is a common situation,,for example,flat where the service riser
went up internally in the block or an ordinary house where the service
emerged somehwere centrally in the house from under the wooden floor
or concrete raft. In all such situations,the new service entry would
be sited to the periphery of the property,i.e external wall. The only
exceptions apply to tall multistory blocks which still have internal
risers but there are special regs/provisions for this relating to
support,fireproofing ,ventilation and regular inspection

Risers rising up the inside must be in fireproof ducts.

Doctor Drivel

wrote in message ...
On 22 Jul,
Ed Sirett wrote:

The old manufactured gas was highly toxic and a concentration much less
that lower explosive limit was fatal in minutes.

Natural gas is much less toxic. However gas leaks need to be fixed -
because some of them are serious and any leak might be just such.

Cambridge (or it may have been Oxford) was converted to natural gas much
earlier than was originally planned to prevent the student population

using
its toxicity for heads in gas ovens.

That's a shame. They should have kept the whole place on town gas to this
day.

Andy Hall

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 11:01:11 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

Yep. I used to look at the property for the ideal meter locations, decide
where the risers where and only then decide where the underground pipes
would go. |They are doing it backwards to save time, effort and money.
Well that is the private cowboy sector for you.

So were you in the public cowboy sector?

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Doctor Drivel

wrote:

Yep. I used to look at the property for the ideal meter locations,

decide
where the risers where and only then decide where the underground pipes
would go. |They are doing it backwards to save time, effort and money.
Well that is the private cowboy sector for you.

So were you in the public cowboy sector?

Nope. Contracted on to the superb public sector which put the consumer
first, not profit.

Andy Hall

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 11:30:20 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Yep. I used to look at the property for the ideal meter locations,

decide
where the risers where and only then decide where the underground pipes
would go. |They are doing it backwards to save time, effort and money.
Well that is the private cowboy sector for you.

So were you in the public cowboy sector?

Nope. Contracted on to the superb public sector which put the consumer
first, not profit.

So now you're telling us that the public sector contracted unqualified
individuals to do work for consumers.

That's putting the consumer first?

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Doctor Drivel

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 11:30:20 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Yep. I used to look at the property for the ideal meter locations,

decide
where the risers where and only then decide where the underground

pipes
would go. |They are doing it backwards to save time, effort and

money.
Well that is the private cowboy sector for you.

So were you in the public cowboy sector?

Nope. Contracted on to the superb public sector which put the consumer
first, not profit.

So now you're telling us that
the public sector contracted unqualified
individuals to do work for consumers.

I didn't tell you that at all. You need any Corgi crap to design. Only
hands on people need to be Corgi. They insist you are educated in the field
though.

Andy Hall

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 12:15:28 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

Nope. Contracted on to the superb public sector which put the consumer
first, not profit.

So now you're telling us that
the public sector contracted unqualified
individuals to do work for consumers.

I didn't tell you that at all. You need any Corgi crap to design. Only
hands on people need to be Corgi. They insist you are educated in the field
though.

I see. How exactly were you educated and what qualifications did you
achieve?

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
But you're not CORGI

Maxie, you don't to be Corgi to design.

Provided those designs are ignored?

--
*Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Yep. I used to look at the property for the ideal meter locations,
decide where the risers where and only then decide where the underground
pipes would go. |They are doing it backwards to save time, effort and
money. Well that is the private cowboy sector for you.

The obvious place would have been in the now redundant airing cupboard? Or
neatly between the twin 'combi's'?

Designed by Drivel. Accepted by his relations. Rejected by the world.

--
*When the going gets tough, the tough take a coffee break *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
So were you in the public cowboy sector?

Nope. Contracted on to the superb public sector which put the consumer
first, not profit.

You were contracted to BG?

Explains it all.

The total lack of any concept of value for money that pervades your posts.

--
*Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter since nobody listens.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
ben

wrote:

Nope. Contracted on to the superb public sector which put the
consumer first, not profit.

So now you're telling us that
the public sector contracted unqualified
individuals to do work for consumers.

I didn't tell you that at all. You need any Corgi crap to design.
Only hands on people need to be Corgi. They insist you are educated
in the field though.

I see. How exactly were you educated and what qualifications did you
achieve?

Walking around with the Queen, Sh***ing in public places.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
Maxie, you don't to be Corgi to design.

That is truly scary.

What qualifications do you need?

I'm just trying to visualise a fitter trying to decipher Evil's written
spec.

A gas meter on top of the roof would be very easy to read.

--
*I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
They insist you are educated in the field though.

Explains it. You only talk cow.

--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
raden

In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Andy Hall
writes
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:37:19 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
I used to design these things,

Which one did you design ?

and the last place you ever put one was in a
bedroom. I only ever put one in a bedroom as there literally was no
other
location.

But you're not CORGI

Maxie, you don't to be Corgi to design.

That is truly scary.

What qualifications do you need?

Obviously not an ability to put all the words in a sentence required to
make it make sense

Maxie, are you sure about that?

So explain the sense in "Maxie, you don't to be Corgi to design"

--
geoff
raden

In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Doctor Drivel
writes

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
news On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:37:19 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"raden" wrote in message
In message

ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
I used to design these things,

Which one did you design ?

and the last place you ever put one was in a
bedroom. I only ever put one in a bedroom as there literally was

no
other
location.

But you're not CORGI

Maxie, you don't have to be Corgi to design.

That is truly scary.

What qualifications do you need?

To design? None.

I'll ask again "Which one did you design ?"

easy question and simple for you to answer

Many, many of them. Maxie I was super brill.

OK, just one of them would suffice, name one you designed

--
geoff
raden

In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
I used to design these things,

Which one did you design ?

and the last place you ever put one was in a
bedroom. I only ever put one in a bedroom as there literally was no
other
location.

But you're not CORGI

Maxie, you don't to be Corgi to design.

"I only ever put one in a bedroom as there literally was no
other
location."

is what I was referring to

and you seem to have conveniently missed out

"I used to design these things,

Which one did you design ?"

would you like to give a sensible answer please

Maxie, you are very confused. Falling off that tree again wearing that
frock and doing in your wrist has affected you.

So you're lying ... again

You didn't design any

--
geoff
raden

In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"ben" wrote in message
.uk...
John Rumm wrote:
ben wrote:

[...]

So, one of your split personalities designed the meters, another
supervised their installation, another has a DB6 and another has a
Prius. Yet another spends his time flooding other peoples' houses with
incorrectly made plastic joints

Just how many multiple personalities reside inside your head ?

--
geoff

Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
They insist you are educated in the field though.

Explains it.

More drivel having to be snipped.

snip

Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:
Yep. I used to look at the property for the ideal meter locations,
decide where the risers where and only then decide where the underground
pipes would go. |They are doing it backwards to save time, effort and
money. Well that is the private cowboy sector for you.

The obvious

More senile drivel to be snipped

snip

Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:
But you're not CORGI

Maxie, you don't have to be Corgi to design.

Provided ..

the senile man here is locked up at night.

Care in the community has failed, this one is vivid example.

sniop

John Rumm wrote:

There are a few other bodies that have this power. Customs and Excise is
one (not sure how that translates to the new HM Customs and Revenue....
how is that for a scary thought, the tax man breaking down your door!)
There are others, but I can't remember them at the mo.

Cue Richard Stillgoe

(for those with long memories and grey beards :-)

John Rumm

(for those with long memories and grey beards :-)

And a girl with big teeth... hmmm dim and distant memory, but alas can
not recall the lyrics!

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Andy Hall
writes
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:37:19 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"raden" wrote in message
In message

ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
I used to design these things,

Which one did you design ?

and the last place you ever put one was in a
bedroom. I only ever put one in a bedroom as there literally was

no
other
location.

But you're not CORGI

Maxie, you don't to be Corgi to design.

That is truly scary.

What qualifications do you need?

Obviously not an ability to put all the words in a sentence required to
make it make sense

Maxie, are you sure about that?

So explain the sense in "Maxie, you don't to be Corgi to design"

Maxie, ......means you.
you ...........means you (collectively)
don't .........as opposed to "have to"
to be .........a part of
Corgi ........cowboy outfit
to design...creation.

There you go Maxi.

Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Doctor Drivel
writes

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
news On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:37:19 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"raden" wrote in message
In message

ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
I used to design these things,

Which one did you design ?

and the last place you ever put one was in a
bedroom. I only ever put one in a bedroom as there literally

was
no
other
location.

But you're not CORGI

Maxie, you don't have to be Corgi to design.

That is truly scary.

What qualifications do you need?

To design? None.

I'll ask again "Which one did you design ?"

easy question and simple for you to answer

Many, many of them. Maxie I was super brill.

OK, just one of them would suffice, name one you designed

Why Maxie? Are you a sneak?

Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"ben" wrote in message
.uk...
John Rumm wrote:
ben wrote:

[...]

Maxie...multi facetted.

designed the meters,

Not the meters themselves

another supervised their installation,

Yep.

another has a DB6

A silver one. The part Maxie, the part.

and another has a Prius.

Best car in the world, Maxie.

Yet another spends his time
flooding other peoples' houses with
incorrectly made plastic joints

No Maxie, I don't use Speedfit.

Maxie, you are confused.

Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message

ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
I used to design these things,

Which one did you design ?

and the last place you ever put one was in a
bedroom. I only ever put one in a bedroom as there literally was

no
other
location.

But you're not CORGI

Maxie, you don't to be Corgi to design.

"I only ever put one in a bedroom as there literally was no
other
location."

is what I was referring to

and you seem to have conveniently missed out

"I used to design these things,

Which one did you design ?"

would you like to give a sensible answer please

Maxie, you are very confused. Falling off that tree again wearing that
frock and doing in your wrist has affected you.
So you're lying ... again

Maxie, I am not lying! You fell off the tree again wearing that frock.

Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
So were you in the public cowboy sector?

Nope. Contracted on to the superb public sector which put the consumer
first, not profit.

So now you're telling us that
the public sector contracted unqualified
individuals to do work for consumers.

I didn't tell you that at all. You don't need any Corgi crap to design.

Only
hands on people need to be Corgi. They insist you are educated in the

field
though.

So are sheep

Did sheep fit your pipes Maxie? Pink sheep?

Andy Hall

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 10:59:23 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

No Maxie, I don't use Speedfit.

That's true. THe word's ab-use isn't it?

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Doctor Drivel

news
wrote:

No Maxie, I don't use Speedfit.

That's true. THe word's ab-use isn't it?

You are right, Speedfit do abuse the word pipefitting.

Andy Hall

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 11:28:55 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

news
wrote:

No Maxie, I don't use Speedfit.

That's true. THe word's ab-use isn't it?

You are right, Speedfit do abuse the word pipefitting.

Curious. I've never had any problems, but then I follow the maker's
instructions.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

raden

In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
[...]

Doesn't make sense, does it

--
geoff
raden

In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
I used to design these things,

Which one did you design ?

and the last place you ever put one was in a
bedroom. I only ever put one in a bedroom as there literally

was
no
other
location.

But you're not CORGI

Maxie, you don't have to be Corgi to design.

That is truly scary.

What qualifications do you need?

To design? None.

I'll ask again "Which one did you design ?"

easy question and simple for you to answer

Many, many of them. Maxie I was super brill.

OK, just one of them would suffice, name one you designed

Why Maxie? Are you a sneak?

As I said, I think you're lying

You still haven't answered

--
geoff
raden

In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message

ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
[...]

The fact that you refuse to give a straight answer would indicate that
you are

--
geoff
Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
I used to design these things,

Which one did you design ?

and the last place you ever put one was in a
bedroom. I only ever put one in a bedroom as there literally

was
no
other
location.

But you're not CORGI

Maxie, you don't have to be Corgi to design.

That is truly scary.

What qualifications do you need?

To design? None.

I'll ask again "Which one did you design ?"

easy question and simple for you to answer

Many, many of them. Maxie I was super brill.

OK, just one of them would suffice, name one you designed

Why Maxie? Are you a sneak?

As I said, I think you're lying

I don't lie Maxie, I done countless conversion. Old mansions converted to
many flats Very complex so they got me onto the job.

Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
[...]

Maxie, you have been on the pop or have severe brainache.

Gas meter box location [email protected] UK diy 1 June 2nd 05 12:27 PM
Gas meter regulations Chris UK diy 11 April 20th 05 05:49 PM
Moving electricity meter, cutout and consumer unit nospam UK diy 2 July 26th 04 08:06 PM
munet digital electric watthour meter login problem INTERESTING TECHNOLOGY! jack morgan Home Repair 0 November 15th 03 07:21 PM
Huge water bill; freeze; meter failure; who should pay? Scoot Home Repair 10 July 22nd 03 02:51 AM