DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sony Blink Codes - tv? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/113933-sony-blink-codes-tv.html)

Dave Jennings July 19th 05 06:52 PM

Sony Blink Codes - tv?

Hi everyone,

This morning my 5 year old Sony KV-28DX20U TV started playing up. The
power light goes on, sound comes out but no picture. After a minute or
so, a green tint appears over the screen and then the picture comes in,
but with a green tint.

I believe the Sony's have a self-diagnostic feature, but can't find
much about this.

The red power light comes on and blinks 5 times, then goes off for
about 3 seconds, then blinks 5 times, etc.

Hopefully it's something relatively simple, as it's a great TV and I've
never had any problems with Sony before. Anyone able to help / offer
some clues on this?

Thanks!
--
Dave Jennings.

Colin Wilson July 19th 05 08:26 PM

This morning my 5 year old Sony KV-28DX20U TV started playing up. The
power light goes on, sound comes out but no picture. After a minute or
so, a green tint appears over the screen and then the picture comes in,
but with a green tint.
I believe the Sony's have a self-diagnostic feature, but can't find
much about this.

Its a long shot, but...

http://www.highlandelectrix.fsnet.co...s/SONY.TV.html

Try a combination of searches like "5 flash" and "blink" to find some
possibly relevant codes / module failures

Fray Bentos July 19th 05 10:32 PM

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
This morning my 5 year old Sony KV-28DX20U TV started playing up. The
power light goes on, sound comes out but no picture. After a minute or
so, a green tint appears over the screen and then the picture comes in,
but with a green tint.
I believe the Sony's have a self-diagnostic feature, but can't find
much about this.

Its a long shot, but...

http://www.highlandelectrix.fsnet.co...s/SONY.TV.html

Try a combination of searches like "5 flash" and "blink" to find some
possibly relevant codes / module failures

5 can mean bad tube, especially going green also.

Timothy Murphy July 19th 05 11:43 PM

Fray Bentos wrote:

5 can mean bad tube, especially going green also.

In my experience, whatever is wrong with it,
repairing it is almost certainly a waste of money.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie

dave stanton July 20th 05 05:27 AM

5 can mean bad tube, especially going green also.

Could also mean just dry joints on the gun connector.

Dave

The Natural Philosopher July 20th 05 11:05 AM

Dave Jennings wrote:

Hi everyone,

This morning my 5 year old Sony KV-28DX20U TV started playing up. The
power light goes on, sound comes out but no picture. After a minute or
so, a green tint appears over the screen and then the picture comes in,
but with a green tint.

I believe the Sony's have a self-diagnostic feature, but can't find
much about this.

The red power light comes on and blinks 5 times, then goes off for
about 3 seconds, then blinks 5 times, etc.

Hopefully it's something relatively simple, as it's a great TV and I've
never had any problems with Sony before. Anyone able to help / offer
some clues on this?

Thanks!

Bang the set hard. Its usally a semi short in the gun assembly. Also
blow any dust out of the tube rear area.

The Natural Philosopher July 20th 05 11:06 AM

Timothy Murphy wrote:

Fray Bentos wrote:

5 can mean bad tube, especially going green also.

In my experience, whatever is wrong with it,
repairing it is almost certainly a waste of money.

Sony tubes are expensive and tricky to replace.

Dry joint in gin area as suggested elsewhere aa deifinite ****-o-bolity.

[email protected] July 20th 05 11:17 AM

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Timothy Murphy wrote:

Fray Bentos wrote:

5 can mean bad tube, especially going green also.

In my experience, whatever is wrong with it,
repairing it is almost certainly a waste of money.

Sony tubes are expensive and tricky to replace.

Dry joint in gin area as suggested elsewhere aa deifinite ****-o-bolity.

Too many dry gins and joints?

MBQ

Dave Jennings July 20th 05 02:18 PM

Dave stanton wrote:
Could also mean just dry joints on the gun connector.

Hi,

funny, a US site suggested this too. If it's something relatively
simple I'd certainly have a look, as I know that should I call out the
Sony engineer here it WILL require a new tube - and that's probably not
worth putting in.

Like I said in the OP, I've never had a problem with Sony before, and
I'm loathe to bin an otherwise terrific TV if it's fixable, especially
if it's POSSIBLY a simple fix. The downside is I have no idea WTF the
gun connector is!! However I'm fine with electronics ( my company
manufacture ruggedished handheld PDA's here in Scotland ) so I'm sure
it can't be rocket science, at least to have a look! ( Famous last
words, or what? )
--
Dave Jennings.

Fray Bentos July 20th 05 09:31 PM

"Dave Jennings" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dave stanton wrote:
Could also mean just dry joints on the gun connector.

Hi,

funny, a US site suggested this too. If it's something relatively
simple I'd certainly have a look, as I know that should I call out the
Sony engineer here it WILL require a new tube - and that's probably not
worth putting in.

Like I said in the OP, I've never had a problem with Sony before, and
I'm loathe to bin an otherwise terrific TV if it's fixable, especially
if it's POSSIBLY a simple fix. The downside is I have no idea WTF the
gun connector is!! However I'm fine with electronics ( my company
manufacture ruggedished handheld PDA's here in Scotland ) so I'm sure
it can't be rocket science, at least to have a look! ( Famous last
words, or what? )
--
Dave Jennings.

the gun connector is the little board at the back of the tube, the one that
can have
a couple of kilovolts on it.

beware...

Dave Jennings July 20th 05 11:38 PM

Fray Bentos wrote:
beware...

Aharr.Now, daftie question, but is this something I should be wary of
even when I've disconnected the TV from the mains or not? I'm guessing
I don't lick it to see if I get some kind of kick. 8^ )
--
Dave Jennings

The Natural Philosopher July 21st 05 12:31 PM

Timothy Murphy wrote:

Fray Bentos wrote:

5 can mean bad tube, especially going green also.

In my experience, whatever is wrong with it,
repairing it is almost certainly a waste of money.

Sony tubes are expensive and tricky to replace.

Dry joint in gin area as suggested elsewhere aa deifinite ****-o-bolity.

Too many dry gins and joints?

Never a good mix. One or the other..
MBQ

The Natural Philosopher July 21st 05 12:32 PM

Dave stanton wrote:

[...]

....for some minuets after the set is switched off possibly..

beware...

Yes.

The Natural Philosopher July 21st 05 12:34 PM

Dave Jennings wrote:

Fray Bentos wrote:

beware...

Aharr.Now, daftie question, but is this something I should be wary of
even when I've disconnected the TV from the mains or not? I'm guessing
I don't lick it to see if I get some kind of kick. 8^ )

Prodding at it with a neon screwdriver should show anything that is
nasty, and should leak teh voltage away safely via a few meghomns and
your body..or yoi could attach the 'cold' end of the screwdriver via a
wire to an earth..