DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   New Electrical Regulations (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/1130-re-new-electrical-regulations.html)

Andy Hall August 19th 03 09:41 PM

New Electrical Regulations

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:28:02 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 17:37:24 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Why don't you
ever think.

I do,

Not enough and not deep enough and not lateral enough.

Remember that I am the one with the university education.....

So am I.

From which university and in which subject?

Why? Do you want my home address and shoe size too. Duh!! You know I
really don't care about what place you went to learn to read, or anyone
else's either.

Not especially, except that your approach to a multitude of issues
(and I don't mean political position) do not suggest that you have had
a university education.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

IMM August 19th 03 09:53 PM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:28:02 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 17:37:24 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Why don't you
ever think.

I do,

Not enough and not deep enough and not lateral enough.

Remember that I am the one with the university education.....

So am I.

From which university and in which subject?

Why? Do you want my home address and shoe size too. Duh!! You know I
really don't care about what place you went to learn to read, or anyone
else's either.

Not especially, except that your approach to a multitude of issues
(and I don't mean political position) do not suggest that you have had
a university education.

Do you mean all uni people vote Tory?

---

Mary Fisher August 19th 03 09:57 PM

OT: Speed cameras (Was: New Electrical Regulations)

"derek" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 18:31:08 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

The planners want us to have pillows (or is it cushions?) and 'gated'
streets with a 20mph limit. I'm all for it and assumed everyone would be

but
they're not.

They're fine in streets of houses.

Which describes our estate. And our street is narrow and few people park
their cars in their drives, yet drivers still drive up and down at far more
than the 30 limit. People have been injured. Worse, people park their cars
on the pavements, thus forcing pedestrians (yes, there are quite a lot
because there's a nursery at the bottom of the street) to walk on the road.

There are some near us "The Ingles"
there are some near you http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/411797.stm

There are quite a lot near us. The other week I drove along Spencer Place
and it was a pleasure.

The item you mention was in the streets where one of our daughters lives, it
was a wonderful success and subsequent traffic calming has worked, it's a
pleasure to walk round the Methleys now. There was another reason for the
streets being congested, that's been eliminated after community action. It
took a long time but it was worth it.

They don't look like that anymore BTW. Turfing a cobbled street with
Rolawn is a wasteful one off gimmick, good only for publicity
photographs.

No, you're wrong. It was born of desperation and achieved its purpose in the
end. It was also a lot of fun.

My neighbour even said he opposed it because it would bring
down the value of his property.

I wouldn't have thought so.

No, it's daft to say that.

However, I'm not happy about cushions, bus humps etc on "A" and "B"
roads, like the main road through Gildersome, and my wifes perfectly
standard Ford Escort in good working order used to "Ground out"
(Bottom) with a very loud sick making *Crunch* on the square ones
with sharp angles on Cemetery Rd Beeston. You wouldn't want *them* if
you had owt like a Ford Escort.

We've had an Escort and we have a scooter. I've never had a problem with any
vehicle on the highest bumps (the ones at Templenewsam are the most vicious
I've ever seen anywhere) because when we see them we slow right down. That
is, they achieve their aim.

God knows what they were ripping off
the bottom of the car. Brake lines? Fuel Lines? or just underseal? You
might find out the hard way, some time later one way or another.

I doubt it. We don't want to have to repair vehicles for the sake of saving
a few seconds.

I wouldn't take all the "Reclaim the streets" rhetoric either, with
all the humps, bumps, gates, and chicanes, it is still not safe for
3-4 year olds to play in the street unsupervised.

They shouldn't be doing that anyway.

Which is what they
seem to imply about "Homezones".

In truth I've never seen that claim. Not for 3-4 year olds.

But for streets of houses back off
the main roads I reckon they're beneficial.

So do I. But boy racers protest. Middle aged boy racers say that they damage
their vehicles, that their civil rights are infringed, that they haven't
time to slow down in their busy lives.

I say that if vehicles couldn't do more than 20 mph they'd be happy driving
at that speed - providing the limit was 10 mph.

You could query the council about the bottoming out problem, & mention
the situation in Beeston. There was nothing wrong with SWMBO's (quite
new) Ford Escort, perfectly standard, no flat tyres, no broken
springs, no lowered suspension, (As if!) :-) .

I've spent quite a lot of time with the planners about this matter. I wanted
them to remove the tarmac from the cobbles at the bottom of the street, one
of them said it would damage vehicles which were travelling at more than
20mph. But if the limit is 20mph ... ???????

Incidentally the cobbles were covered with black only when a Labour Lord
Mayor was having his induction service at our local church. It was decided
that U1 couldn't be risked. It had been OK for hoi polloi until then.

I reckon that when - if? - the traffic calming is undertaken here it could
be a Good Thing because they might fill in the holes in the road at the same
time. If they don't they'll have to answer to me.

Mary

DG

Andy Hall August 19th 03 10:05 PM

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:53:00 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Remember that I am the one with the university education.....

So am I.

From which university and in which subject?

Why? Do you want my home address and shoe size too. Duh!! You know I
really don't care about what place you went to learn to read, or anyone
else's either.

Not especially, except that your approach to a multitude of issues
(and I don't mean political position) do not suggest that you have had
a university education.

Do you mean all uni people vote Tory?

Point illustrated. I specifically excluded political position....

---

Owain August 19th 03 10:12 PM

OT: Speed cameras (Was: New Electrical Regulations)

"John Rumm" wrote
| Hey why not tie it into sat nav and GPS speed sensing etc, you could
| have the car automatically shop you the moment you go over the speed
| limit. That would pretty soon get everyone off the road - you included.
| Fancy that?
| (As with most suggestions of this type, they amount to nothing more than
| unenforceable nonsense when placed under scrutiny)

Didn't Nostradamus write that, a long time in the future, iron would float?

Then we put a man on the moon.

Then we started London congestion charging.

It's only hard until it hasn't been done.

Owain

IMM August 19th 03 10:19 PM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:53:00 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Remember that I am the one with the university education.....

So am I.

From which university and in which subject?

Why? Do you want my home address and shoe size too. Duh!! You know

really don't care about what place you went to learn to read, or

anyone
else's either.

Not especially, except that your approach to a multitude of issues
(and I don't mean political position) do not suggest that you have had
a university education.

Do you mean all uni people vote Tory?

Point illustrated. I specifically excluded political position....

I'm a uni person and I don't vote Tory - well not in million years would I
do such a thing to the good people of this nation.

---

IMM August 19th 03 10:19 PM

Speed cameras (Was: New Electrical Regulations)

"Andrew McKay" wrote in message
On 19 Aug 2003 16:19:52 GMT, (Huge) wrote:

Indeed, I've (vaguely) heard of proposals to scrap premiums based on
the car and only base them on the driver.

Interesting - I haven't heard of that before but it sounds reasonably
sensible.

No wait, Labour government in power. We must wait for a sensible party
to occupy number 10 ;)

The brainwashing is really showing now.

---

IMM August 19th 03 10:34 PM

New Electrical Regulations

"Andrew McKay" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:26:21 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

More right wing scaremongering. The same old tune. We have had this for
the past 5 bloody years. For 5 years the property market is about the
crash - yarn, yarn, yarn. You have nothing to gain from voting Little
Middle England. Nothing.

Don't you believe it sunshine.

How long have you been like this?

---

Dave Liquorice August 19th 03 10:36 PM

OT: Speed cameras (Was: New Electrical Regulations)

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:01:01 GMT, Richard Caley wrote:

Now, there is where they should be making money. Stick cameras on
roundabouts and any car which doesn't follow the protocols as layed
down in the highway code gets impounded, crushed, sold as scrap and
the money donated to the closest A&E.

Add the following locations to that:

Center of traffic lights. Vehicles turning right not crossing behind
each other.

Entry slip roads onto motorways or other fast roads. Vehicles not
indicating, looking or matching speed as they join.

Lane 2 of any empty motorway. Vehicle traveling at 60mph.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

geoff August 19th 03 10:36 PM

OT: Speed cameras (Was: New Electrical Regulations)

In message , IMM
writes

There was a case were the police stopped an old man in his trilby hat for
going 50mph on the motorway. This one man was holding up all the other
traffic and causing bunching. Bunching is very dangerous on motorways. He
was told to up his speed or get off the motorway, even though he was above
the minimum speed. he got off the motorway. He complained and the action
of the police was upheld as safety was paramount.

Old people and women, who drive slowly and then slam on for no apparent
reason are major causes of accidents. They also just stick in the middle
lanes of motorways again causing bunching in the outside lane. Technically
they in the right if the slam on the brakes and they are hit from behind.
They are not driving to the same mental rules as everyone else.

You're not wrong there. It's not just the old, there are lots of people
trundling along in a world of their own, pulling out without looking,
they might have indicated, but ...
--
geoff

geoff August 19th 03 10:36 PM

Speed cameras (Was: New Electrical Regulations)

In message , Richard Caley
writes
In article , geoff (g) writes:

a There are reckless drivers who speed. And there are quick assertive
a drivers.

Of course, anyone who considers themselves in class 2 is almost
certainly really in class 1.

g That's a rather stupid reply

If you don't see why what I posted is true, you are probably in class
1.

Inability to sanely judge one's own compitence is a common symptom of
recklessness.

And you make totally unfounded assumptions

When permitted, I would quite happily drive at 130, , when I go through
roadworks with a speed restriction e.g. on a motorway, I religiously
stick to the speed limit. It's not unknown for me to have exceeded the
speed limit at times, but I only do it when it's safe.

--
geoff

Mary Fisher August 19th 03 10:52 PM

"Owain" wrote in message
"John Rumm" wrote
| Hey why not tie it into sat nav and GPS speed sensing etc, you could
| have the car automatically shop you the moment you go over the speed
| limit. That would pretty soon get everyone off the road - you included.
| Fancy that?
| (As with most suggestions of this type, they amount to nothing more than
| unenforceable nonsense when placed under scrutiny)

Didn't Nostradamus write that, a long time in the future, iron would

float?

Then we put a man on the moon.

Then we started London congestion charging.

It's only hard until it hasn't been done.

In my experience if something is talked about long enough it happens.

Mary

Owain

Dave Liquorice August 19th 03 10:53 PM

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 18:57:14 +0100, Andrew McKay wrote:

Indeed, I've (vaguely) heard of proposals to scrap premiums based
on the car and only base them on the driver.

Interesting - I haven't heard of that before but it sounds
reasonably sensible.

No wait, Labour government in power.

If the insurance companies felt they could make more money baseing
premiums on the driver and not the car they would change no matter the
colour of the government.

We must wait for a sensible party to occupy number 10 ;)

Is that just before or after hell freezes over?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dave Liquorice August 19th 03 11:00 PM

Speed cameras (Was: New Electrical Regulations)

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 20:48:21 +0100, derek wrote:

If it is literally miles then report it to the relevant roads
department, don't wine in here. I don't know the recommended
distance but it's not 1 mile let alone miles.

That's just rubbish. The camera might well be a mobile camera (van)
that's not there 99.95% of the time.

So why have the spent the money signing the site for a mobile camera
near here. From my chats with the local constabulary the signs *had*
to be there. This is a new site, I think it was there in time for
Easter. I have yet to to see the mobile camera parked up.

I drove out that way this morning. There are two signs, one oblong
containing a small camera symbol and the text "traffic speed cameras".
This is about 1.5 miles from the site and sort of describes the
symbol. Then at .5 miles from the site, in either direction, is a
large (approx 18" sq) camera symbol, no text.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

IMM August 20th 03 12:33 AM

New Electrical Regulations

"IMM" wrote in message

"Capitol" wrote in message

IMM wrote in message ...
Yes most of the British people. After the stock markets near collapsed
after 9-11 and a war, the UK economy is still one of the world's

strongest
with probably the strongest currency. 9-11 and the war hardly made an
impact. Slightly off course and now near back on it.

And if you believe that, then I'm
sorry for you.

You should feel sorry for yourself.

Most small businesses are
groaning under the weight of unnecessary
regulation and bureaucracy, for the
past 5 years,

They always have done!!! No change there.

no one in his right mind has set
up a business in the UK. The
tax system is out of control,

Then introduce Land Value Tax. One tax only, the value of the land.

Read this about your tax...

We should soak the landowners by Antonia Swinson - New Statesman Monday
27th May 2002

Lloyd George favoured it; so did Churchill and Adam Smith. Denmark has one,
as does Sydney, Australia. So why won't Gordon Brown have a land tax?

How exhausting, expensive, maddening to live in a country where our destiny
is to be squashed between a red-blooded feudal system and an even more
rapacious market economy. So we have a Queen who receives a £50m tax-free
bunce from her mother in a jubilee year, and much happy swapping of palaces,
at a time when every news story apparently points to a population on the
verge of a nervous breakdown: lousy infrastructure (Potters Bar just the
latest spasm), an NHS where catching a hospital infection is a one-in-ten
shot, and an education system that offers our children lower horizons than
their parents had. Yet making connections with these increasingly sore
subjects is at last allowing the revival of a political big idea which,
since David Lloyd George was chancellor before the First World War, has
dared not speak its name: land value taxation (LVT).

If Tony Blair wants his place in history to be half as exciting as Lloyd
George's - and if he wants Cherie to stop griping about how much they lost
from selling the house in Islington before prices soared - now is the time
to suggest LVT to the boy next door. This taxes the rental value of land
annually, recognising that landowners, whether rural or urban, living in
Cumberland or Islington, see their wealth rising not through their own
efforts, but through the investment and activity of the local community. An
office in the Hebrides has less rental value than one in Hampstead because
of the huge difference in the numbers of people keen to live and work there.
Local facilities provided by the taxpayer also create value; a house near a
good state school attracts a 20 per cent premium. Owners of land near new
infrastructure see values explode, yet none of these gains is returned to
the community.

LVT eliminates tax dodgers because you can't take land offshore. It also
delivers speedy social and environmental benefits: our million empty homes
would soon be occupied (and so would brownfield sites), for who would want
to pay tax on an empty asset? And taxes on labour, employment, goods and
services could be reduced.

Pie in the sky? Perhaps not. Offshore property companies own huge tracts of
undeveloped land in Liverpool: it helps their balance sheet collateral. The
city council is lobbying Westminster to allow it to raise a land tax. In
Edinburgh, businessmen propose that a suburban passenger railway could be
wholly funded from the rising values of adjoining land. A property
developer, Don Riley, in his book Taken for a Ride, estimated that
surrounding land values along London's Jubilee Line rose by £1.3bn per
station - untaxed gains that could easily have provided the £3.5bn costs of
building the Tube line, which runs through some of the UK's most deprived
areas.

Economists' arguments against LVT are long rehearsed, much bolstered over
the years by the considerable public relations finesse of the big landowners
who have positioned themselves as custodians of the national heritage. They
argue that it is not possible to separate building values from land for tax
purposes. (Land speculators and property developers manage this
beautifully.) LVT, they say, would not provide an adequate fiscal base for
the welfare state - though no national statistical data has been given to
support this. Then there is that little old lady in the big house who pays
the same LVT as the millionaire next door. Finally, LVT is a violation of
sacred property rights: that "Englishman's home is his castle" killer line.
But LVT is not strictly a tax, rather a fee for benefits conferred by
exclusive occupancy, and therefore no different in principle from a parking
meter charge or a seat at the theatre, the price of which is dependent on
its position.

It is difficult not to smell a conspiracy in a country where landowners,
roughly equivalent in number to the population of Aberdeen, control and own
more than 90 per cent of the UK land mass (and receive around £4bn in
subsidies). So in this transparent age of databases, the Treasury,
astonishingly, keeps no records of the flow of income of landowners. Even
the Land Registry contains details on only about 65 per cent of UK land -
that sold since 1928.

Yet, long before our digital age, such calculations were made, and the
relics are to be found in the Public Record Office in Kew - dusty evidence
of Lloyd George's bold though unsuccessful experiment to introduce land
value taxation in the "people's Budget" of 1909. This budget brought the
Valuation Office into existence. Scores of Inland Revenue valuers scoured
the country, creating what has been dubbed the new Domesday Book. Long
forgotten, these maps were discovered in the early 1990s by Professor Brian
Short, then researching his book Land and Society in Edwardian Britain. In
Edinburgh last month, a leading land reformer, Andy Wightman, came across
the completed Scottish survey at the National Archives of Scotland, exact
maps recorded in neat purple ink.

Not that Lloyd George was the first fan of LVT. Adam Smith wrote in The
Wealth of Nations (1776): "Ground rents are perhaps a species of revenue
which can best bear to have a peculiar tax imposed upon them." In 1848, Lord
Aberdeen judged LVT as the best means of paying for the colony of Hong Kong.
Inadvertently, he unlocked the potential of one of the world's most dynamic
economies. Then the American economist Henry George attracted a worldwide
following in 1879 with Progress and Poverty, in which he called for an LVT
of up to 90 per cent. His disciples included Mark Twain and Tolstoy. By the
time Lloyd George introduced his "people's Budget", the merits of LVT were
showing signs of becoming conventional wisdom.

He did not actually propose a full-blooded land tax, merely a tax on sales
of land. But for the landowning House of Lords, this was the thin end of a
wedge for nationalisation. Winston Churchill, then president of the Board of
Trade, proposed it and the Lords threw it out. As a result, in 1911, the
Liberal government succeeded in putting through the Parliament Act, which
henceforth limited the upper chamber's power to delay legislation. Then the
First World War intervened.

As the years went by, the growth in private home ownership caused British
politicians to sideline the idea. Meanwhile a market dominated by
speculators has created a climate where disinformation about green-belt
preservation and hand-wringing over a shortage of housing for key workers
abound. How extraordinarily blind we are. There is no shortage of bricks,
mortar, builders or land: according to Kevin Cahill, author of Who Owns
Britain, 99.9 per cent of us live on less than 9 per cent of the land mass -
it's the other 0.1 per cent who have us in a neck lock.

The charm of a land tax is that, unlike other forms of taxation, it
stimulates economic activity rather than dampening it: what's the point of
hanging on to land, waiting for it to go up in value, if you have to pay tax
on it? The Centre for Land Policy Studies estimates that, under the current
taxation system, the UK economy loses £881bn through tax avoidance, the
black economy and lost output of goods and services. To raise £20bn for the
NHS over the next three years will, the centre estimates, cost £63bn in what
economists call dead-weight loss.

Denmark has had land taxation since 1843, with 1 per cent of the value of
both land and buildings taxed nationally, and up to 2.4 per cent of the land
values taxed locally, with valuations every two years. Cities in the US, New
Zealand and Australia raise local revenue from LVT; Sydney raises all its
municipal revenues in this way. Yet, though the Liberal Democrats support
the idea, the UK Treasury says it has "no plans" even to research LVT, and
the Labour Party refuses to put it on its policy agenda. It wants, it says,
the widest possible tax base (and you have to admit it's pretty wide when
even those earning only £4,600 a year will pay the extra 1 per cent in
national insurance contributions); when questioned on LVT, one Labour Party
press officer called it "as daft as the window tax".

Tony Blair has said he is determined to end poverty. LVT would be a means of
providing painlessly for an old Labour-style public spending programme, as
well as paying for an ageing population. How clearly this would demonstrate
to wavering Mondeo Man and Worcester Woman that Iain Duncan Smith and his
"we feel your pain" Tories are mere placemen of the Lord Cranbornes and
myriad other descendants of the Plantagenet ascendancy.

Antonia Swinson writes for Scotland on Sunday

---

parish August 20th 03 02:17 AM

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 20:48:21 +0100, derek wrote:

If it is literally miles then report it to the relevant roads
department, don't wine in here. I don't know the recommended
distance but it's not 1 mile let alone miles.

That's just rubbish. The camera might well be a mobile camera (van)
that's not there 99.95% of the time.

So why have the spent the money signing the site for a mobile camera
near here. From my chats with the local constabulary the signs *had*
to be there. This is a new site, I think it was there in time for

There was a case reported on the national news the other day where two
off-duty cops had got off a (camera) speeding charge because the camera
warning signs were incorrectly displayed (i.e. didn't conform to the
Road Traffic Act or something).

parish August 20th 03 02:26 AM

Speed cameras (Was: New Electrical Regulations)

Andrew McKay wrote:

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 23:12:26 +0000, parish parish_AT_ntlworld.com
wrote:

A couple of months ago I passed a very sick looking camera on the A46
Batheaston bypass (east of Bath). Apparently someone had stacked a load
of tyres around the base, dowsed them in petrol, and torched it :-)

I have to admit that although I am very law-abiding there is some
satisfaction when I read stories like this.

It comes down to the carrot and stick approach really. The stick is
getting the fine and points on your license after the event. A decent
carrot would be to reward people who drive less powerful motors.

Hmmm, how about a credit system? Drive through one camera at 5mph
*below* the speed limit and you get to drive through the next one at
5mph *over* without getting done - or even better, the Police/Govt
should give us £60 everytime we pass a camera below the limit :-)

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk

parish August 20th 03 02:30 AM

IMM wrote:

Old people and women, who drive slowly and then slam on for no apparent
reason are major causes of accidents.

Have you been following the same old dear I followed (after she pulled
out in front of me) through Marlborough yesterday? At every pedestrian
or pelican crossing she approached she braked if there was a pedestrian
within 10 metres of the crossing.

parish August 20th 03 02:42 AM

OT: Speed cameras (Was: New Electrical Regulations)

Mary Fisher wrote:

That's funny, I notice that men can't seem to reverse into a space. Or even
their drives. And certainly not parking spaces no matter how large.

From an e-mail I received entitled "The Female Guinness Book Of Records":

Car Parking

The smallest kerbside space successfully reversed into by a woman was
one of 19.36m (63ft 2ins), equivalent to three standard parking spaces,
by Mrs. Elizabeth Simpkins, driving an unmodified Vauxhall Nova 'Swing'
on 12th October 1993. She started the manoeuvre at 11.15am in Ropergate,
Pontefract, and successfully parked within three feet of the pavement 8
hours 14 minutes later. There was slight damage to the bumpers and wings
of her own and two adjoining cars, as well as a shop frontage and two
lamp posts.

And just look what happened when they opened a women-only car park in
London:

http://www.parish.nildram.co.uk/womensca.jpg

parish August 20th 03 02:50 AM

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:01:01 GMT, Richard Caley wrote:

Now, there is where they should be making money. Stick cameras on
roundabouts and any car which doesn't follow the protocols as layed
down in the highway code gets impounded, crushed, sold as scrap and
the money donated to the closest A&E.

Add the following locations to that:

Center of traffic lights. Vehicles turning right not crossing behind
each other.

Either crossing behind or in front is acceptable, according to the
Highway Code.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/16.shtml#151

Andrew McKay August 20th 03 06:32 AM

OT: Speed cameras (Was: New Electrical Regulations)

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 22:36:22 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Center of traffic lights. Vehicles turning right not crossing behind
each other.

Some junctions make it simpler to pass in front.

Entry slip roads onto motorways or other fast roads. Vehicles not
indicating, looking or matching speed as they join.

Don't forget the bozo's already on the motorway who stay in the inside
lane at a lower speed when coming up to a slip road onto the motorway.

Lane 2 of any empty motorway. Vehicle traveling at 60mph.

Never mind the speed they are doing. And besides which, what the hell
are you worried about? It's an empty motorway - you aren't there! ;)

harrogate August 20th 03 07:17 AM

OT: Speed cameras (Was: New Electrical Regulations)

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

wrote:

[...]

Was it a pleasure because of the road or what certain 'ladies' of that area
were displaying 'on offer?'

harrogate August 20th 03 07:19 AM

OT: Speed cameras (Was: New Electrical Regulations)

"James Hart" wrote in message
derek wrote:

Far more people are just plain incompetant. For instance I notice that
people who dither, or hesitate when the traffic moves off do not
hesitate to drive through the red light if there hesitation has caused
them to miss the green phase of the lights. It's the 5 or 6 cars
behind them that get disadvantaged. I suppose they have to do this if
they hesitate and dither everytime the car has to start moving or
they'd never get anywhere.

Can I add to those the people who drive up to a roundabout, stop and then
look to see if anything is coming. If only they'd look as they're
approaching then they'd be able to make better progress by not having to
stop and then set off again.

I know several women who will drive round and round supermarket car
parks until they find a pair of spaces "nose to tail" (Or worse, find
a parking space that has free spaces *all around it*) . so they can
drive in and through, so they don't have to reverse either in or out.
Don't tell me they're competant to be on the road

That's not just limited to a few women though, there's a multi storey car
park not too far from here that has 3 bays between each pillar and you can
guarantee that the first people to park will always go for the middle bay
and drive in forwards. To me it's easier to back in to one next to the
pillars as there's less chance of anyone knocking doors into you and you

get
an easier drive out of the space because you're facing the right way.

The number of people who mis-manage joining a motorway amazes me. I
frequently encounter people reversing back down the on - ramp because
they've taken the wrong one. Instead of joining the motorway and
coming off at the next exit and rejoining in the opposite direction.

Don't see any of that round here (Lincolnshire) because we don't have any
motorways (I lie a little there, there is some about 60m away), which

raises
another question, how are we supposed to learn how to use them? I didn't
even get out of a 30mph limit on my driving test never mind getting onto
anything like a busy dual carriageway or the like. It's laughable really
when the powers that be decide that the current driving test is capable of
determining whether a person is safe to be on the roads or not.

--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk/

Aren't the M180 and M181 in Lincs any more then?

--
Woody

harrogate August 20th 03 07:22 AM

"Owain" wrote in message
"John Rumm" wrote
| Hey why not tie it into sat nav and GPS speed sensing etc, you could
| have the car automatically shop you the moment you go over the speed
| limit. That would pretty soon get everyone off the road - you

included.
| Fancy that?
| (As with most suggestions of this type, they amount to nothing more

than
| unenforceable nonsense when placed under scrutiny)

Didn't Nostradamus write that, a long time in the future, iron would

float?

Then we put a man on the moon.

Then we started London congestion charging.

It's only hard until it hasn't been done.

In my experience if something is talked about long enough it happens.

Mary

Owain

And didn't an earlier thread prove just that?

The correct definition of a double yellow line was 'no waiting except for

The DoT did a survey and it showed that most people thought a double yellow
meant no parking 24/7 - so in 1999 they changed it to mean exactly that.

--
Woody

Andy Hall August 20th 03 07:27 AM

OT: Speed cameras (Was: New Electrical Regulations)

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 01:30:00 +0000, parish parish_AT_ntlworld.com
wrote:

IMM wrote:

Old people and women, who drive slowly and then slam on for no apparent
reason are major causes of accidents.

Have you been following the same old dear I followed (after she pulled
out in front of me) through Marlborough yesterday? At every pedestrian
or pelican crossing she approached she braked if there was a pedestrian
within 10 metres of the crossing.

Let's hope she Devizes some improvements today :-)

(Sorry, it's early in the morning)

Dave Liquorice August 20th 03 09:17 AM

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 06:32:33 +0100, Andrew McKay wrote:

Some junctions make it simpler to pass in front.

The easy path cutting the corner and passing in front but then you
can't see oncoming traffic properly due to the other car. That is why
you should pass behind. You ought to see the looks you get if you pull
far enough on to the central area (ie don't cut the corner) such that
the other driver has to, correctly, pass behind.

Don't forget the bozo's already on the motorway who stay in the
inside lane at a lower speed when coming up to a slip road onto the
motorway.

The motorway traffic has right of way, that is why there is a Give Way
line across the slip road and the requirement of the joining traffic
to match speed be that speed 40mph or 90.

Don't forget the bozo's in lane 1 travelling at Xmph who pull out into
lane 2 with traffic travelling at Xmph + N (where N is a positive
number) with no regard to the traffic in lane 2.

Never mind the speed they are doing. And besides which, what the
hell are you worried about? It's an empty motorway - you aren't
there! ;)

Touche. But we drive on the left in this country not the middle or
right.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Richard Caley August 20th 03 09:22 AM

Speed cameras (Was: New Electrical Regulations)

In article , Andrew McKay (am) writes:

am No wait, Labour government in power. We must wait for a sensible party
am to occupy number 10 ;)

David Sutch is dead, he was by far the most sensible voice in UK
politics, so don't hold your breath.

--
Mail me as _O_ |

Dave Liquorice August 20th 03 09:23 AM

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 01:50:31 +0000, parish wrote:

Either crossing behind or in front is acceptable, according to the
Highway Code.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/16.shtml#151

To quote that URL:

= 151 You MUST stop behind the white 'Stop' line across your side of
= the road unless the light is green. If the amber light appears you
= may go on only if you have already crossed the stop line or are so
= close to it that to stop might cause an accident.
= Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 33

Doesn't seem particulary relevant...

I think you mean rule 157.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

IMM August 20th 03 11:30 AM

New Electrical Regulations

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , IMM
writes

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 17:37:24 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Why don't you
ever think.

I do,

Not enough and not deep enough and not lateral enough.

Remember that I am the one with the university education.....

So am I.

From which university and in which subject?

Why? Do you want my home address and shoe size too. Duh!! You know I
really don't care about what place you went to learn to read, or anyone
else's either.

I didn't notice him asking for the latter.

As always you make a statement but can't back it up. How many years is
it now that you've sidestepped this direct question?

Well here is my NI number HT 679023 K. Shoe size 7.5.

---

Tony Bryer August 20th 03 11:48 AM

Speed cameras (Was: New Electrical Regulations)

In article , Andrew McKay
wrote:
A decent
carrot would be to reward people who drive less powerful motors.

If you have a company car then your pay a lot less tax on a low CO2
car - I got a £60/pm tax cut from April 2002. There's no exact
correlation between CO2 and power but in general CC drivers will pay
a lot more for power (higher percentage tax band x higher price)

Martin Angove August 20th 03 01:19 PM

New Electrical Regulations

In message ,
Andrew McKay wrote:

I recently posted an article on this forum in respect of the
government introducing new regulations to require electrical work to
be carried out by a registered electrician. From next April it will
become law for electrical work to be undertaken only by said
electricians (a bit like corgi for gas fitters).

Just to return to topic for a nanosecond, and it's only a thought... but
have you tried the meeja with this one? I only ask because I just heard
the end of You and Yours and they are doing some items on DIY and wanted
to know of DIY problems... in fact if you can make it convincing enough
they may go a bit further than that if past performance is anything to
go by.

Now Y&Y may not be my favourite programme, but they do occasionally hit
the right spot, and they've got exactly the right listenership...

Something like http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/youandyours/ I think.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
Don't fight technology, live with it: http://www.livtech.co.uk/

Paul Mc Cann August 20th 03 05:02 PM

Speed cameras (Was: New Electrical Regulations)

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 22:36:51 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , Richard Caley
writes
In article , geoff (g) writes:

a There are reckless drivers who speed. And there are quick assertive
a drivers.

Of course, anyone who considers themselves in class 2 is almost
certainly really in class 1.

g That's a rather stupid reply

If you don't see why what I posted is true, you are probably in class
1.

Inability to sanely judge one's own compitence is a common symptom of
recklessness.

And you make totally unfounded assumptions

When permitted, I would quite happily drive at 130, , when I go through
roadworks with a speed restriction e.g. on a motorway, I religiously
stick to the speed limit. It's not unknown for me to have exceeded the
speed limit at times, but I only do it when it's safe.

And you have NEVER come across road works signs still in place long
after the work has finished ?

It is because of this lackadaisical approach to signage that the more
intelligent amongst tend to use what is betwen our ears to assess
situations as they arise instead of letting some nameless monolith
make all decisions for us.

Paul Mc Cann

Paul Mc Cann August 20th 03 05:02 PM

Speed cameras (Was: New Electrical Regulations)

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 23:08:17 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

stuart noble wrote:

What does this have to do with speed cameras?

I was under the impression that excessive speed was a major cause of
accidents in built up areas. If this is not the case, and cameras are just
another tax, then I claim my ?60 back.

A cause yes - but I get the impression not a major cause. According to
the police figures excessive speed is causal factor in 7.3% of cases -
although they don't split these figures down by type of road as far as I
can see, it does stand to reason that excess speed in a built up area
with parked cars and lots of people is going to be a richer vein of
accidents than on deserted motorways. Mixing pedestrians and traffic is
a bad idea any ware.

AKAICS You could lump the top 4 causes (excessive speed being 5th) into
a category loosely termed "judgement errors". These are obviously harder
to detect and "correct" than excess speed.

(There are various separate categories for inappropriate speed in the
prevailing conditions - most of these obviously are not going to be
affected by cameras either).

IMHO it is not 'excessive' speed that is the problem, buy
inappropraite speed.
This includes the pillock doing 30 mph in a traffic stream that is
moving at 40mph. I mean what planet is he on that he is unaware of the
traffic flowing all around him.
I met a friend one day who was just off the phone to his daughter.
She had the most amazing story of an accident which had happened right
in front of her on a 3 lane dual carriageway. One car had passed her
on the inside, the other on the outside and then both had attempted to
occupy the empty space in front of her at the same time.

Neither father or daughter could work it out.

Paul Mc Cann

John Laird August 20th 03 05:10 PM

Speed cameras (Was: New Electrical Regulations)

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:02:03 +0100, Paul Mc Cann
wrote:

I met a friend one day who was just off the phone to his daughter.
She had the most amazing story of an accident which had happened right
in front of her on a 3 lane dual carriageway. One car had passed her
on the inside, the other on the outside and then both had attempted to
occupy the empty space in front of her at the same time.

Neither father or daughter could work it out.

There must be some analogy in there. One person trying to explain the
situation in her left ear, one in her right ear, and the sound waves
interfering destructively in the empty space inside her head ?

--
John

Mary Fisher August 20th 03 06:33 PM

OT: Speed cameras (Was: New Electrical Regulations)

From an e-mail I received entitled "The Female Guinness Book Of Records":

Well that must be the definitive tome.

Car Parking

The smallest kerbside space successfully reversed into by a woman was

How do they know? It's nonsense. When I drove a very long car, a Humber
Imperial (longer than our current Laguna estate but you'd probably not know
the model), I always reversed into parking spaces, often only 2' longer than
the car. It was measured by those (men of course) who couldn't believe their
eyes because they couldn't have done it.

I still do, of course, with the Laguna. It's far easier to reverse into any
space than to drive into it.

Mary

And I've never damaged a car by reversing. Or even going forward, before you
oh-so-wittily suggest it.

Mary Fisher August 20th 03 06:34 PM

OT: Speed cameras (Was: New Electrical Regulations)

The correct definition of a double yellow line was 'no waiting except for

The DoT did a survey and it showed that most people thought a double

yellow
meant no parking 24/7 - so in 1999 they changed it to mean exactly that.

Except when the defining notice says differently.

Mary

--
Woody

parish August 20th 03 06:35 PM

Speed cameras (Was: New Electrical Regulations)

Dave Liquorice wrote:

"The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002"

That's the one, not the RTA.

And the signs refered to above can be viewed at:

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2002/02311395.gif

In the case I was referring to the camera sign was integral with a speed
limit sign, similar to the blue one in the above link but a large yellow
rectangular sign with the speed limit above and the camera symbol below.
The problem with it was that the camera symbol was on the yellow
background and the entire sign had a black border. Apparently the camera
symbol should have been on a white background (i.e. a white rectangle on
the yellow background) and that white area *only* should have had the
black border.

So if you see signs they have to fit the placement, illumination etc
regulations and there may be an operational camera.

I haven't found anything that says cameras have to have signs, which I

But, if this case doesn't get overturned if the Police appeal, then if
there are signs then they must be correct else no-one can be convicted.

guess is not surpriseing otherwise the systems fitted to patrol cars
that can clock you on the move or the simple handheld "hair dryer"
radar gun wouldn't have much use.

parish August 20th 03 06:42 PM

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 01:50:31 +0000, parish wrote:

Either crossing behind or in front is acceptable, according to the
Highway Code.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/16.shtml#151

To quote that URL:

= 151 You MUST stop behind the white 'Stop' line across your side of
= the road unless the light is green. If the amber light appears you
= may go on only if you have already crossed the stop line or are so
= close to it that to stop might cause an accident.
= Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 33

Doesn't seem particulary relevant...

I think you mean rule 157.

Yeah, OK. I just followed a link for traffic lights in the index; didn't
notice that the rule numer was in the URL.

Paul Mc Cann August 20th 03 06:46 PM

Speed cameras (Was: New Electrical Regulations)

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:48:22 +0100, Tony Bryer
wrote:

In article , Huge wrote:
Indeed, I've (vaguely) heard of proposals to scrap premiums
based on the car and only base them on the driver.

There was a company that did this about 20-25 years ago (Alpha?).
They went broke because the drivers with low risk cars could get
better quotes elsewhere so they were left with the XR3's and BMW's

Not quite true. I was insured with them and dove a Beetle at the time.
Drove it into the side of an E Type Jaguar who injudiciously attempted
to cross the road in front of me. We were both insured with them.

My memory is that the other insurance companies convinced the
government to keep raising the bar, (i.e.) the amount of funds
required as indemnity to run an insurance company, to the point were
the fledgling business couldn't comply.

It always made more sense to me to insure the driver rather than the
car.

Paul Mc Cann