kd

Default Using bread to block pipes while soldering

I used a tip of pushing bread into a central heating pipe that I was
soldering (it was constantly dripping) and it worked fine. Problem is, the
pipe is still blocked. Any ideas on how to unblock it?

Alan

"kd" wrote in message
I used a tip of pushing bread into a central heating pipe that I was
soldering (it was constantly dripping) and it worked fine. Problem is, the
pipe is still blocked. Any ideas on how to unblock it?

What did you expect?? How will the bread ever get out of the system??

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"kd" writes:
well the site said it would disolve. Am I the only one to have done this?

Did you manage to create a 1" plug in a 15mm pipe using the whole
loaf, by any chance?

--
Andrew Gabriel
ben

kd wrote:
well the site said it would disolve. Am I the only one to have done
this? "Alan" wrote in message

snip

What did you expect?? How will the bread ever get out of the system??

Me thinks you read the site wrong?

They where trying to tell you to use your loaf(not literally)

Ian Stirling

ben wrote:
kd wrote:
well the site said it would disolve. Am I the only one to have done
this? "Alan" wrote in message

snip

What did you expect?? How will the bread ever get out of the system??

Me thinks you read the site wrong?

They where trying to tell you to use your loaf(not literally)

None of you are proving anything you know.

Ian Stirling wrote:
ben wrote:
kd wrote:

They where trying to tell you to use your loaf(not literally)

None of you are proving anything you know.

Yeast ill worrying about that? Now, its getting late, time for bread.

NT

Mary Fisher

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
ben wrote:
kd wrote:
well the site said it would disolve. Am I the only one to have done
this? "Alan" wrote in message

snip

What did you expect?? How will the bread ever get out of the system??

Me thinks you read the site wrong?

They where trying to tell you to use your loaf(not literally)

None of you are proving anything you know.

That's why we're getting all these half baked replies.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Alan" wrote in message

"kd" wrote in message
I used a tip of pushing bread into a central heating pipe that I was
soldering (it was constantly dripping) and it worked fine. Problem is,
the
pipe is still blocked. Any ideas on how to unblock it?

What did you expect?? How will the bread ever get out of the system??

It's not bread any more though, is it? It's toast.

Mary

raden

In message , kd
writes
I used a tip of pushing bread into a central heating pipe that I was
soldering (it was constantly dripping) and it worked fine. Problem is, the
pipe is still blocked. Any ideas on how to unblock it?

Eat the bread

sorry, no idea

--
geoff

Aidan

kd wrote:
I used a tip of pushing bread into a central heating pipe that I was
soldering (it was constantly dripping) and it worked fine. Problem is, the
pipe is still blocked. Any ideas on how to unblock it?

Sticklebacks.

BigWallop

"Aidan" wrote in message
ups.com...

kd wrote:
I used a tip of pushing bread into a central heating pipe that I was
soldering (it was constantly dripping) and it worked fine. Problem is,

the
pipe is still blocked. Any ideas on how to unblock it?

Sticklebacks.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it. ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rod

"Aidan" wrote in
ups.com:

kd wrote:
I used a tip of pushing bread into a central heating pipe that I was
soldering (it was constantly dripping) and it worked fine. Problem
is, the pipe is still blocked. Any ideas on how to unblock it?

Sticklebacks.

Introduced by the feed tank?

Must admit, I thought bread and dripping was something people ate...

--
Rod
Mary Fisher

"Rod" wrote in message
. 4...
"Aidan" wrote in
ups.com:

kd wrote:
I used a tip of pushing bread into a central heating pipe that I was
soldering (it was constantly dripping) and it worked fine. Problem
is, the pipe is still blocked. Any ideas on how to unblock it?

Sticklebacks.

Introduced by the feed tank?

Must admit, I thought bread and dripping was something people ate...

That's in the marmalade thread ...

Mary

--
Rod

Brian G

kd wrote:
I used a tip of pushing bread into a central heating pipe that I was
soldering (it was constantly dripping) and it worked fine. Problem
is, the pipe is still blocked. Any ideas on how to unblock it?

kd,

Recipe for bread pudding: Fill the heating system, add 1 litre of Fernox, 1
litre of noise reducer and the turn the boiler on to gas mark 6, boil for
twenty minutes and... :-)

You could try leaving the water in the system for around twenty four hours
to 'break' the bread down and then open the nearest drain valve, empty the
system, connect a hose pipe to the cold water supply and then flush the
system through at mains pressure - that should get rid of most of it.

Or, you could spend a few hundred pounds and get someone to pressure flush
the system - ouch!

Brian G

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

kd wrote:
I used a tip of pushing bread into a central heating pipe that I was
soldering (it was constantly dripping) and it worked fine. Problem is, the
pipe is still blocked. Any ideas on how to unblock it?

Never tried it. Always sounded dodgy to me.
:¬)

Might be a point you hadn't considered, but is it on a direct flow or
return pipe or is it on a brsnch off the flow or return tp/from a
radiator and/or smalle circuit ?

You might want to try shutting down all (other) radiators in the house,
thereby forcing ALL the water through your dreaded breaded joint.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
BigWallop

"kd" wrote in message
I used a tip of pushing bread into a central heating pipe that I was
soldering (it was constantly dripping) and it worked fine. Problem is, the
pipe is still blocked. Any ideas on how to unblock it?

You are supposed to use a little bit of bread to soak up any small drips,
and it means a very little bit of bread. Jamming a whole slice in the pipe
to stop a huge flow of water isn't a really good idea, and you may have
caused more problems to the system now.

Take heart though, as the bread will dissolve down small enough to do no
harm, but it might be in about two to three years time. :-)

Did you drain the system down completely first? Right down to the point of
having very tiny amounts of water left in the pipes?

Don't do it again, and use the technique of heating the pipework along a
good length so the water left in the pipe boils off. This stops the drips
long enough to make a good solder joint.

kd

Its an 8mm microbore system. The bread (very small amount) was a desperate
measure after heating the pipe to boil off the water (but as this was on the
ground floor there was always more water comming through). The bread was
inserted just after a 90 degree bend. All the other radiators work fine and
I have flushed the system a few times and raised the preasure to 2.6 bar
(normally operates at 1 bar). Is it possible to have fitted the connections
the wrong way round? i.e. flow onto return (or would this make no
difference?)
"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

"kd" wrote in message
[...]

BigWallop

"kd" wrote in message
Its an 8mm microbore system. The bread (very small amount) was a desperate
measure after heating the pipe to boil off the water (but as this was on

the
ground floor there was always more water comming through). The bread was
inserted just after a 90 degree bend. All the other radiators work fine

and
I have flushed the system a few times and raised the preasure to 2.6 bar
(normally operates at 1 bar). Is it possible to have fitted the

connections
the wrong way round? i.e. flow onto return (or would this make no
difference?)

All I can think of for your to try, is to remove the fittings on either end
of the pipe you worked on. Place you lips over one end, preferably the end
furthest away from the bread wad, and then blow the shi........begeezes out
of it.

The other method is to turn the system on but keep it cold, as in turn the
pump on but not the boiler, and open the end of the pipe with the dough ball
in it, in the hope that the pressure will be enough to blow the bugger out.
You may need a bug bucket or a long hose to do this though, so be prepared.

The third method is to leave the system running hot until the bread has
dissolved away, but his could take days, weeks, months or even years if you
used a good loaf like Kingsmill. :-) But it will eventually clear.

Andrew Mawson

"kd" wrote in message
I used a tip of pushing bread into a central heating pipe that I was
soldering (it was constantly dripping) and it worked fine. Problem

is, the
pipe is still blocked. Any ideas on how to unblock it?

Could it be that you have an airlock, so that the bread cannot
dissolve?

I've used this method sucessfully many times, but only on rising main
lead pipes where the stop cock wouln't totally turn off. In these
instances there was no problem with mains pressure pushing the bread
out of the kitchen tap!

AWEM

Keith Willcocks

"kd" wrote in message
I used a tip of pushing bread into a central heating pipe that I was
soldering (it was constantly dripping) and it worked fine. Problem is, the
pipe is still blocked. Any ideas on how to unblock it?

I suppose cutting the pipe by the bread, remove it, and reconnect with a
compression joint might do it.
--
Keith Willcocks

Grunff

kd wrote:
I used a tip of pushing bread into a central heating pipe that I was
soldering (it was constantly dripping) and it worked fine. Problem is, the
pipe is still blocked. Any ideas on how to unblock it?

kd another IMM handle?

--
Grunff

kd wrote:
I used a tip of pushing bread into a central heating pipe that I was
soldering (it was constantly dripping) and it worked fine. Problem is, the
pipe is still blocked. Any ideas on how to unblock it?

too funny. Drill into the bread using nearly zero pressure on the
drill. A hook shaped bit would be ideal, but a standard twisst drill
shoudl do, but /dont/ press on it.

NT

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

kd wrote:
I used a tip of pushing bread into a central heating pipe that I was
soldering (it was constantly dripping) and it worked fine. Problem is, the
pipe is still blocked. Any ideas on how to unblock it?

Did it get sorted?
Please let us know.

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:
kd wrote:

I used a tip of pushing bread into a central heating pipe that I was
soldering (it was constantly dripping) and it worked fine. Problem is, the
pipe is still blocked. Any ideas on how to unblock it?

Did it get sorted?
Please let us know.

id expect its dissolved by now.

NT

BigWallop

wrote in message
oups.com...
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:
kd wrote:

I used a tip of pushing bread into a central heating pipe that I was
soldering (it was constantly dripping) and it worked fine. Problem is,

the
pipe is still blocked. Any ideas on how to unblock it?

Did it get sorted?
Please let us know.

id expect its dissolved by now.

NT

A good Kingsmill loaf can last a few days. :-) LOL

BigWallop wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:
kd wrote:

I used a tip of pushing bread into a central heating pipe that I was
soldering (it was constantly dripping) and it worked fine. Problem is,

the
pipe is still blocked. Any ideas on how to unblock it?

Did it get sorted?
Please let us know.

id expect its dissolved by now.

A good Kingsmill loaf can last a few days. :-) LOL

hehe. With all those 50+ preservatives in, and boiling water to semi
sterilise it regularly, it might last years.

NT

BigWallop

wrote in message
ups.com...
BigWallop wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:
kd wrote:

I used a tip of pushing bread into a central heating pipe that I

was
soldering (it was constantly dripping) and it worked fine. Problem

is,
the
pipe is still blocked. Any ideas on how to unblock it?

Did it get sorted?
Please let us know.

id expect its dissolved by now.

A good Kingsmill loaf can last a few days. :-) LOL

hehe. With all those 50+ preservatives in, and boiling water to semi
sterilise it regularly, it might last years.

NT

Oh Dough!!!!

Matt

"BigWallop" wrote:

A good Kingsmill loaf can last a few days. :-) LOL

And a crap one we bought last week 2 days inside its sell by date was
peppered with green blue mould.

BigWallop

"Matt" wrote in message
"BigWallop" wrote:

A good Kingsmill loaf can last a few days. :-) LOL

And a crap one we bought last week 2 days inside its sell by date was
peppered with green blue mould.

Should've shoved it in your central heating system then. ROFL!!!! (sorry,
couldn't resist it)

kd

Yes it did! Simple task really.Here are the steps with time scales
1. Dig up the concrete overfill that you laid over the pipes (3 hours)
making sure that your wife calls you an idiot every 5 minutes and complains
about the new mess
2. Carefully remove the concrete from around the shroud protecting the pipes
(1 hours)
3. Remove soldered joint, making sure that it takes 2 hours as water keeps
cooling the solder
3. Insert various sized objects into the pipe until you find the right size
and flexibility. (1 hour)
4. Try to re-solder the joint until you realise that its impossible and then
apply a compression joint instead (3 hours)
5. test the flow and have wife lecture you on being an idiot and never to
believe theses bloody news group postings

"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk" wrote in message
. uk...
kd wrote:
I used a tip of pushing bread into a central heating pipe that I was
soldering (it was constantly dripping) and it worked fine. Problem is,
the pipe is still blocked. Any ideas on how to unblock it?

Did it get sorted?
Please let us know.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)

Andrew Mawson

"kd" wrote in message
[...]

Should you perhaps have tested your work BEFORE you back filled ?

AWEM

Mary Fisher

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

Should you perhaps have tested your work BEFORE you back filled ?

AWEM

Now you're talking like a wife ...

Mary

Grunff

kd wrote:
Yes it did! Simple task really.Here are the steps with time scales
1. Dig up the concrete overfill that you laid over the pipes (3 hours)
making sure that your wife calls you an idiot every 5 minutes and complains
about the new mess

Hang on - this just keeps getting better!

So not only did you stuff a load of bread up an 8mm microbore pipe and
solder it up, you actually buried it in concrete?

We all occasionally do silly things, but I'd say unless your reasoning
ability was severely impaired (e.g. through drink) at the time, you
really should avoid plumbing at all costs in future.

--
Grunff
Bob Mannix

"Grunff" wrote in message
kd wrote:
Yes it did! Simple task really.Here are the steps with time scales
1. Dig up the concrete overfill that you laid over the pipes (3 hours)
making sure that your wife calls you an idiot every 5 minutes and
complains about the new mess

Hang on - this just keeps getting better!

So not only did you stuff a load of bread up an 8mm microbore pipe and
solder it up, you actually buried it in concrete?

We all occasionally do silly things, but I'd say unless your reasoning
ability was severely impaired (e.g. through drink) at the time, you really
should avoid plumbing at all costs in future.

Without being unduly nasty to the poor OP... it's quite funny really!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Mary Fisher

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

We all occasionally do silly things, but I'd say unless your reasoning
ability was severely impaired (e.g. through drink) at the time, you
really should avoid plumbing at all costs in future.

Without being unduly nasty to the poor OP... it's quite funny really!

Yes, and such personal comments as "Grunff's" say more about him than the
OP. If the whole story is true I admire the OP for having the good humour
and courage to share it with us.

Mary

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Grunff
wrote:

We all occasionally do silly things, but I'd say unless your reasoning
ability was severely impaired (e.g. through drink) at the time, you
really should avoid plumbing at all costs in future.

Proves the point once again about those so clueless that they post upside
down and leave all the original material trailing in the wake :-)

raden

In message , kd
writes
Yes it did! Simple task really.Here are the steps with time scales
1. Dig up the concrete overfill that you laid over the pipes (3 hours)
making sure that your wife calls you an idiot every 5 minutes and complains
about the new mess
2. Carefully remove the concrete from around the shroud protecting the pipes
(1 hours)
3. Remove soldered joint, making sure that it takes 2 hours as water keeps
cooling the solder
3. Insert various sized objects into the pipe until you find the right size
and flexibility. (1 hour)
4. Try to re-solder the joint until you realise that its impossible and then
apply a compression joint instead (3 hours)
5. test the flow and have wife lecture you on being an idiot and never to
believe theses bloody news group postings

6. Get wife to lecture you on the dangers of top posting

--
geoff