Roger Hayter

Default Water flow driven water pump

Title says it all. I am looking for a submersible water pump, a few
litres an hour would do, driven by propeller/turbine working off the
flow in the stream to pump water up a few feet. Or of course any
relevant components of this idea would be useful. Many thanks for your
thoughts. Water wheel, unless on a raft, is no use as water lever varies
about 5000% of minimum 100mm or so.
--
Roger Hayter
BigWallop

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
Title says it all. I am looking for a submersible water pump, a few
litres an hour would do, driven by propeller/turbine working off the
flow in the stream to pump water up a few feet. Or of course any
relevant components of this idea would be useful. Many thanks for your
thoughts. Water wheel, unless on a raft, is no use as water lever varies
about 5000% of minimum 100mm or so.

Roger Hayter

Is it possible to build a sluice for an over the top water wheel? The
stream is diverted in to the sluice so it runs over the top of a bucket
wheel. This gives loads of weight to the wheel, so it can be better used to
operate quite a powerful pump.

raden

In message , Roger Hayter
writes
Title says it all. I am looking for a submersible water pump, a few
litres an hour would do, driven by propeller/turbine working off the
flow in the stream to pump water up a few feet. Or of course any
relevant components of this idea would be useful. Many thanks for your
thoughts. Water wheel, unless on a raft, is no use as water lever
varies about 5000% of minimum 100mm or so.

Sir might want to look at this old, but effective concept

http://journeytoforever.org/at_waterpump.html

--
geoff

raden

In message ,
"dennis@home" writes

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
Title says it all. I am looking for a submersible water pump, a few
litres an hour would do, driven by propeller/turbine working off the flow
in the stream to pump water up a few feet. Or of course any relevant
components of this idea would be useful. Many thanks for your thoughts.
Water wheel, unless on a raft, is no use as water lever varies about 5000%
of minimum 100mm or so.

http://journeytoforever.org/at_waterpump.html

Ha !

beat you by just over a minute

--
geoff

Is it possible to build a sluice for an over the top water wheel? The
stream is diverted in to the sluice so it runs over the top of a bucket
wheel. This gives loads of weight to the wheel, so it can be better
used to
operate quite a powerful pump.

Ram pump might be a better solution, though it depends upon flow.

http://tinyurl.com/94cqp

Owain

Roger Hayter wrote:
Title says it all. I am looking for a submersible water pump, a few
litres an hour would do, driven by propeller/turbine working off the
flow in the stream to pump water up a few feet. Or of course any
relevant components of this idea would be useful. Many thanks for your
thoughts. Water wheel, unless on a raft, is no use as water lever varies
about 5000% of minimum 100mm or so.

Hydraulic ram?

Used in TPLACs for water supply.

Owain

PC Paul

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Roger Hayter
writes
Title says it all. I am looking for a submersible water pump, a few
litres an hour would do, driven by propeller/turbine working off the flow
in the stream to pump water up a few feet. Or of course any relevant
components of this idea would be useful. Many thanks for your thoughts.
Water wheel, unless on a raft, is no use as water lever varies about 5000%
of minimum 100mm or so.

Sir might want to look at this old, but effective concept

http://journeytoforever.org/at_waterpump.html

Sir may also like to get some ear defenders if he uses one...

raden

In message , PC Paul
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Roger Hayter
writes
Title says it all. I am looking for a submersible water pump, a few
litres an hour would do, driven by propeller/turbine working off the flow
in the stream to pump water up a few feet. Or of course any relevant
components of this idea would be useful. Many thanks for your thoughts.
Water wheel, unless on a raft, is no use as water lever varies about 5000%
of minimum 100mm or so.

Sir might want to look at this old, but effective concept

http://journeytoforever.org/at_waterpump.html

Sir may also like to get some ear defenders if he uses one...

But if it's submerged in a stream at the bottom of the garden, who cares
?

--
geoff
Doctor Evil

"raden" wrote in message
In message , PC Paul
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Roger Hayter
writes
Title says it all. I am looking for a submersible water pump, a few
litres an hour would do, driven by propeller/turbine working off the

flow
in the stream to pump water up a few feet. Or of course any relevant
components of this idea would be useful. Many thanks for your

thoughts.
Water wheel, unless on a raft, is no use as water lever varies about

5000%
of minimum 100mm or so.

Sir might want to look at this old, but effective concept

http://journeytoforever.org/at_waterpump.html

Sir may also like to get some ear defenders if he uses one...

But if it's submerged in a stream at the bottom of the garden, who cares?

Maxie, how can you be so cruel. What about the frogs?

Roger Hayter

In message , raden
writes
In message , PC Paul
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Roger Hayter
writes
Title says it all. I am looking for a submersible water pump, a few
litres an hour would do, driven by propeller/turbine working off the flow
in the stream to pump water up a few feet. Or of course any relevant
components of this idea would be useful. Many thanks for your thoughts.
Water wheel, unless on a raft, is no use as water lever varies about 5000%
of minimum 100mm or so.

Sir might want to look at this old, but effective concept

http://journeytoforever.org/at_waterpump.html

Sir may also like to get some ear defenders if he uses one...

But if it's submerged in a stream at the bottom of the garden, who
cares ?

Lots of food for thought there, many thanks to everyone who replied.
What I want is a small, unobtrusive installation that just trickle feeds
a flower bed on top of a retaining wall, so I can grow water's edge
plants on top of it. I will report back when I implement a solution.
--
Roger Hayter
PC Paul

"raden" wrote in message
In message , PC Paul
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Roger Hayter
writes
Title says it all. I am looking for a submersible water pump, a few
litres an hour would do, driven by propeller/turbine working off the
flow
in the stream to pump water up a few feet. Or of course any relevant
components of this idea would be useful. Many thanks for your thoughts.
Water wheel, unless on a raft, is no use as water lever varies about
5000%
of minimum 100mm or so.

Sir might want to look at this old, but effective concept

http://journeytoforever.org/at_waterpump.html

Sir may also like to get some ear defenders if he uses one...

But if it's submerged in a stream at the bottom of the garden, who cares ?

True, just that a perpetual water-torturey tap-tap-tap-tap is not the sort
of thing you want to find out about *after* installing it...

Frank Erskine

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 22:36:31 GMT, "PC Paul" wrote:

"raden" wrote in message
In message , PC Paul
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Roger Hayter
writes
Title says it all. I am looking for a submersible water pump, a few
litres an hour would do, driven by propeller/turbine working off the
flow
in the stream to pump water up a few feet. Or of course any relevant
components of this idea would be useful. Many thanks for your thoughts.
Water wheel, unless on a raft, is no use as water lever varies about
5000%
of minimum 100mm or so.

Sir might want to look at this old, but effective concept

http://journeytoforever.org/at_waterpump.html

Sir may also like to get some ear defenders if he uses one...

But if it's submerged in a stream at the bottom of the garden, who cares ?

True, just that a perpetual water-torturey tap-tap-tap-tap is not the sort
of thing you want to find out about *after* installing it...

True. Although these things are quite small, the noise they make is
quite noticeable, if satisfying (that it's still pumping!). The
nomally quite large air vessel acts as a good loudspeaker.

We have one of these ram pumps operating in a water museum with which
I'm involved. The pump must be many decades old, and the rubber
diaphragms needed replacement. Although we could've used almost any
old insertion rubber to fabricate new diaphragms, I tried to contact
the original makers, and had no problem whatsoever in getting original
replacements, which promptly arrived in a linen bag, which had a label
attached with a space for the name of the railway station to which the
spares should be delivered!

I can't remember the manufacturer at the moment; I fancy he was in
Gloucestershire, but can you imagine getting this sort of service from
a modern pump-maker in, say 50 years time?

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Andy Wade

Frank Erskine wrote:

We have one of these ram pumps operating in a water museum with which
I'm involved. The pump must be many decades old, and the rubber
diaphragms needed replacement. Although we could've used almost any
old insertion rubber to fabricate new diaphragms, I tried to contact
the original makers, and had no problem whatsoever in getting original
replacements, which promptly arrived in a linen bag, which had a label
attached with a space for the name of the railway station to which the
spares should be delivered!

Nice :-)

I can't remember the manufacturer at the moment; I fancy he was in
Gloucestershire,

One manufacturer of hydraulic rams is Green and Carter
http://www.greenandcarter.com/ but they're in Somerset, not Glos.

but can you imagine getting this sort of service from
a modern pump-maker in, say 50 years time?

I assume that question was rhetorical.

--
Andy
Frank Erskine

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 14:25:21 +0100, Andy Wade
wrote:

Frank Erskine wrote:

We have one of these ram pumps operating in a water museum with which
I'm involved.

snip

One manufacturer of hydraulic rams is Green and Carter
http://www.greenandcarter.com/ but they're in Somerset, not Glos.

You're right - it was Green & Carter.
:-)

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland

One manufacturer of hydraulic rams is Green and Carter
http://www.greenandcarter.com/ but they're in Somerset, not Glos.

Presumably a little undershot wheel plus small water screw would be
quieter.

NT

PC Paul

wrote in message
oups.com...
One manufacturer of hydraulic rams is Green and Carter
http://www.greenandcarter.com/ but they're in Somerset, not Glos.

Presumably a little undershot wheel plus small water screw would be
quieter.

And a *lot* more decorative if done well...