DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Help with MFI/schreiber bedroom chest of drawers (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/112716-help-mfi-schreiber-bedroom-chest-drawers.html)

Mark June 30th 05 10:59 AM

Help with MFI/schreiber bedroom chest of drawers

Hi,

I have assembled and fitted a MFI/schreiber bedroom, but I made a
mistake by following the instructions! Therefore now I have two chest
of drawers where the drawers do not fit correctly. (The right hand
side edge of the drawers is about 20mm proud of the front of the
units.) Since the drawers are glued together I'm not sure how to make
them fit.

Any ideas, please (that don't involve an axe!)?

TIA, Mark

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot June 30th 05 11:52 AM

Mark wrote:
Hi,

I have assembled and fitted a MFI/schreiber bedroom, but I made a
mistake by following the instructions! Therefore now I have two chest
of drawers where the drawers do not fit correctly. (The right hand
side edge of the drawers is about 20mm proud of the front of the
units.) Since the drawers are glued together I'm not sure how to make
them fit.

Any ideas, please (that don't involve an axe!)?

Are you absolutely sure that the carcass is perfectly square? Any of the
dowels not located properly?

Si

Mark June 30th 05 02:33 PM

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:52:18 +0100, "Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:

Mark wrote:
Hi,

I have assembled and fitted a MFI/schreiber bedroom, but I made a
mistake by following the instructions! Therefore now I have two chest
of drawers where the drawers do not fit correctly. (The right hand
side edge of the drawers is about 20mm proud of the front of the
units.) Since the drawers are glued together I'm not sure how to make
them fit.

Any ideas, please (that don't involve an axe!)?

Are you absolutely sure that the carcass is perfectly square? Any of the
dowels not located properly?

As sure I can be, I think. All the dowels appear to be located
properly, the cam bolts are all done up tight and there's no noticable
gaps between the joints of the carcass.

I think the problem is that I first fitted the drawers into the
carcass when it was free-standing and did not have enough strength to
remain square. Now that the carcases are fixed to the wall they are
rigid.

I could be wrong, however.

Mark.

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot June 30th 05 02:37 PM

Mark wrote:

Now that the carcases are fixed to the wall they are
rigid.

Ah.....are the walls flat? Could be that the carcass is being pulled out of
shape. It doesn't take much, unfortunately.

Si

Mark June 30th 05 04:23 PM

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:37:35 +0100, "Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:

Mark wrote:

Now that the carcases are fixed to the wall they are
rigid.

Ah.....are the walls flat? Could be that the carcass is being pulled out of
shape. It doesn't take much, unfortunately.

I'll check this later, thanks.

Mark.

David Lang June 30th 05 04:36 PM

Hi Mark
Any ideas, please (that don't involve an axe!)?

Something is out of square, either the carcass, or the drawer. Check both
with a square & a level and it should tell you what is wrong. I'd also
suspect that fixing it to the walls has pulled it out of kilter, you may
need some packing pieces.

Dave

Mark July 1st 05 09:09 AM

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:36:32 GMT, "David Lang"
wrote:

Hi Mark
Any ideas, please (that don't involve an axe!)?

Something is out of square, either the carcass, or the drawer. Check both
with a square & a level and it should tell you what is wrong. I'd also
suspect that fixing it to the walls has pulled it out of kilter, you may
need some packing pieces.

I've measured the carcas and it's not quite square. The problem is
that it is fixed to a wardrobe adjacent which is not square. It looks
like I'll have to refit the wardrobe :-(

Mark.