Lobster

Default DIY endoscope, anyone?

Still wrestling with the problem of my leaking shower, and an inability
to access the relevant areas without demolishing half the bathroom... my
thoughts turned to the possibility of drilling a few small holes in
appropriate areas (eg inside cavity walls/stud partitions/under floor
boards/through joists) and poking an endoscope down them to have a
looksee at what's going on.

I see that HSS do one for hire, but at a daily rate of 40 quid plus VAT
- wow!

So I was wondering, maybe it would be possible to make one up relatively
easily... what do you think / has anyone tried it? I'm thinking, a
length of 15mm copper pipe, an LED light and a mirror or prism at the
tip, and I suppose a lens at the eye-end... hmm, maybe not so easy after
all. Any thoughts from anyone who knows more about this stuff than me?
Wouldn't mind if it cost a bit, as I would get to keep it for longer
than 1 day, unlike going down the HSS route.

--
Thanks
David
Simon

"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

How about one of the smaller USB webcams, possibly with a USB extension
lead. Some even have built-in LEDs:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...rldID=&doy=26m
6
http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/phot...ingandsurveill
ance/productView.htm?quicklinx=34ZH
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...11007&doy=26m6
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...36763&doy=26m6
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...-9767&doy=26m6

Andy Dingley

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 14:14:04 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

I see that HSS do one for hire, but at a daily rate of 40 quid plus VAT
- wow!

Then buy one. Mine was only twenty quid. Rigid sideways-looking
borescopes are cheap, flexible imagers are still expensive.

Mil-surplus is your friend.

Lobster

wrote:

I see that HSS do one for hire, but at a daily rate of 40 quid plus VAT
- wow!

Then buy one. Mine was only twenty quid. Rigid sideways-looking
borescopes are cheap, flexible imagers are still expensive.

Twenty quid! blimey, certainly would if I could find anything at that
price. I did have a quick look online to see what the going purchase
rate was,and everywhere seemed to be well into three figures.

Mil-surplus is your friend.

Anybody know any good ones online or mailorder? I don't know of any
that are decent round my way.

If not, thanks also for to the others for the suggestions of
webcams/mini security cameras... hadn't thought of that, and that may
well be my next best option (although might require larger access holes
than I'd really like!)

--
David

raden

In message , Lobster
writes
[...]

As I said before,

I used a Maplins camera (about 30 quid) attached to a TV illuminated by
a car headlight

You'll need about an inch diameter hole

You're probably best attaching the camera to a coat hanger
--
geoff
Pete C

wrote:

[...]

Hi,

Have you tried taping off the entire plug hole and showering to
determine if the leak is in/around the waste pipe?

Also have you tried taping off the seal between tray and tiles/wall
and the corners of the cubicle to determine if the leak is there?

cheers,
Pete.