DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Mice, slugs, trails? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/112594-mice-slugs-trails.html)

Nat June 23rd 05 06:10 PM

Mice, slugs, trails?

Hi all.
Would it be possible for a slug to eat the bait out of a mousetrap? Do mice
leave visible shiny gossamer trails like slugs? Wouldn't a slug trigger the
trap?

Short of sleeping in the kitchen cupboard with a camera I've no idea how to
find out what is in there. I've seen slugs and caught mice, but the
mousehole's been closed up now and I haven't caught any for a while..

Nat

Lobster June 25th 05 05:32 PM

Nat wrote:

Would it be possible for a slug to eat the bait out of a mousetrap? Do mice
leave visible shiny gossamer trails like slugs? Wouldn't a slug trigger the
trap?

Short of sleeping in the kitchen cupboard with a camera I've no idea how to
find out what is in there. I've seen slugs and caught mice, but the
mousehole's been closed up now and I haven't caught any for a while..

How about sprinkling flour around the area and seeing whether you end up
with paw-prints or just slime trails?

(I once tried it in the kitchen before retiring for the night when we
had a plague of nocturnal slugs; next morning I was none the wiser but
SWMBO went ballistic at the flour mess...)

--
David

Nat June 25th 05 09:37 PM

"Lobster" wrote in message
How about sprinkling flour around the area and seeing whether you end up
with paw-prints or just slime trails?

(snip)
Brilliant idea! Thank you. (off to find some flour)
Nat

Rick June 25th 05 10:18 PM

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 17:10:51 +0000 (UTC), "Nat"
wrote:

Hi all.
Would it be possible for a slug to eat the bait out of a mousetrap? Do mice
leave visible shiny gossamer trails like slugs? Wouldn't a slug trigger the
trap?

Short of sleeping in the kitchen cupboard with a camera I've no idea how to
find out what is in there. I've seen slugs and caught mice, but the
mousehole's been closed up now and I haven't caught any for a while..

Nat

You could always put a camera on your PC, and do some time lapse
photography ....

Rick

dave stanton June 26th 05 08:23 AM

(I once tried it in the kitchen before retiring for the night when we
had a plague of nocturnal slugs; next morning I was none the wiser but
SWMBO went ballistic at the flour mess...)

Wont slugs stay away from the flour as they cant lay the slime over it ?.
Same principle as putting gravel and sand around plants to stop slugs.

Dave

Nat June 26th 05 10:16 PM

"Rick" wrote in message
You could always put a camera on your PC, and do some time lapse
photography ....

!! I suppose I could!!. Actually, the more I think about that the better it
seems. I'm going to have a google for the kit.
Nat.

AlexW June 29th 05 12:10 AM

Nat wrote:
Hi all.
Would it be possible for a slug to eat the bait out of a mousetrap? Do mice
leave visible shiny gossamer trails like slugs? Wouldn't a slug trigger the
trap?

Short of sleeping in the kitchen cupboard with a camera I've no idea how to
find out what is in there. I've seen slugs and caught mice, but the
mousehole's been closed up now and I haven't caught any for a while..

Nat

How about putting some salt on the way to the trap ... this might slow
any slugs down...

Alex.