DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Outdoor Wiring Of Light - HELP!!! (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/112479-re-outdoor-wiring-light-help.html)

Andy Pandy June 19th 05 11:47 AM

Outdoor Wiring Of Light - HELP!!!

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 06:28:50 GMT, "TRENTY"
wrote:

This is driving me nuts, whats the purpose of the 5 wire system i have come
across when trying to replace an outdoor lantern, security light? I have
been presented with 2 red wires, 2 black wires and an earth.

Now in hindsight i should have looked inside the other light when i took it
off but it was in such a poor rusty condition etc, it was hard enough
getting the damn thing off the wall and in the end it was clip the wires at
the back job. Now i assumed it was a red + red, black + black and an earth
but everyone told me this is wrong, and even some black wires could be
classed as live!!

I have tried every combinations possible, the two reds joined together in a
sep choc bloc and 1 black for live and one black for neutral even, it does
not matter what i do i either get nothing or trip the light circuit for the
house.

I have attached the instructions, hopefully someone knows my plight as this
is getting so frustrating and embarassing

Thank You for reading this

Bryan

Well... I'll have a go. :-)

According to the diagram there should only be one supply cable coming
from inside the house. This is connected to the screws marked L.N.E.

The L then goes out on L feed to the PIR, returning - when conditions
demand the light to be on i.e. darkeness, on what would normally be
the neutral wire but in thsi case is classed as a switched L.

This is taken via the top connector block out on the L wire to the
lamp, whose N return is connected to the main incoming neutral.

Which should work, providing the PIR is set up correctly and the buld
is OK.

HTH
Andy

dave stanton June 19th 05 12:50 PM

See we are now getting replies, non threaded, to questions which don't
appear to have been asked on this ng.

Dave

Lobster June 19th 05 12:56 PM

dave stanton wrote:
See we are now getting replies, non threaded, to questions which don't
appear to have been asked on this ng.

Well I saw the original here in uk.d-i-y, but - naughty naughty, OP - it
had an attachment. I'm guessing your newsfeed has blocked it accordingly.

--
David

Andy Pandy June 19th 05 01:20 PM

wrote:

[...]

Further to my earlier effort... I now suspect you have two cables
coming from the house.

One will be the straightforward mains feed previously described. This
you can identify with a mulitmeter.

The second is probably an internal over-ride switch which can
effectively short-circuit the PIR allowing you to switch the light on
from indoors.

Again the multimeter can be used to confirm this, looking for
continuity when the switch is ON. It would be wired across the PIR, L
to L, N to N.

HTH
Andy

Andy Pandy June 19th 05 01:22 PM

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 12:50:36 +0100, dave stanton
wrote:

See we are now getting replies, non threaded, to questions which don't
appear to have been asked on this ng.

Dave

Dodgy newsreader eh ? ;-)

Andy

Chip June 19th 05 02:37 PM

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 14:02:43 +0100,it is alleged that "Dave Plowman
(News)" spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

In article ,
Andy Pandy wrote:
See we are now getting replies, non threaded, to questions which don't
appear to have been asked on this ng.

Dodgy newsreader eh ? ;-)

More likely posted in HTML only, so the ISP deleted it as having no
content.

Hasn't appeared on my Pipex feed either.

Original article was plain text, but with a .doc attachment, may have
been over the size limit set for non-binary groups.

Looking at this document, the instructions are certainly less than
clear.

--
The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short
phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if