DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Germany to uk plug rewiring... (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/111059-germany-uk-plug-rewiring.html)

drky June 29th 05 02:57 PM

Germany to uk plug rewiring...

Hi, i'm just wondering if anyone here can help?

I've bought a laptop from germany and i live in the uk, the laptop will come with a power supply that will work in the uk (switching kind) however the plug will be germany 2 prong type.

Is it easy to take the plug off and rewire with a uk plug?

Bob Eager June 29th 05 06:32 PM

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 13:57:05 UTC, drky
wrote:

Hi, i'm just wondering if anyone here can help?

I've bought a laptop from germany and i live in the uk, the laptop will
come with a power supply that will work in the uk (switching kind)
however the plug will be germany 2 prong type.

Is it easy to take the plug off and rewire with a uk plug?

If it's the flat type (similar to the ones on, say, electric razors) you
can also get permanent adaptors; basically a 13 amp plug(top) that
takes the plug, then you tightne the cover down and it all locks into
place. CPC do them.

:::Jerry:::: June 29th 05 06:51 PM

"drky" wrote in message

Hi, i'm just wondering if anyone here can help?

I've bought a laptop from germany and i live in the uk, the laptop

will
come with a power supply that will work in the uk (switching kind)
however the plug will be germany 2 prong type.

Is it easy to take the plug off and rewire with a uk plug?

Basically, if you need to ask such a basic question, no - best get
someone who knows how to wire a plug to show you....

Mike Harrison June 29th 05 07:11 PM

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:57:05 +0100, drky wrote:

Hi, i'm just wondering if anyone here can help?

I've bought a laptop from germany and i live in the uk, the laptop will
come with a power supply that will work in the uk (switching kind)
however the plug will be germany 2 prong type.

Is it easy to take the plug off and rewire with a uk plug?

It will probably have one of 3 types of standard mains connectors (IEC, figure-8 and another that
looks like a 3-way figure-8) that go into the PSU - UK style leads are readily and cheaply available
for at least 2 of them.

raden June 29th 05 07:38 PM

In message , drky
writes

Hi, i'm just wondering if anyone here can help?

I've bought a laptop from germany and i live in the uk, the laptop will
come with a power supply that will work in the uk (switching kind)
however the plug will be germany 2 prong type.

Is it easy to take the plug off and rewire with a uk plug?

Ich glaube schon

Although, if it's not a pikey laptop, it will prolly come with a mains
cable which plugs into the PSU, and you could just buy a new cable

Or ... you can get UK plug adapters which fit over the European plug and
convert them. Quite a lot of kit comes with these adapters nowadays

--
geoff

Rob Morley June 29th 05 08:10 PM

In article , "drky"
says...

Hi, i'm just wondering if anyone here can help?

I've bought a laptop from germany and i live in the uk, the laptop will
come with a power supply that will work in the uk (switching kind)
however the plug will be germany 2 prong type.

Is it easy to take the plug off and rewire with a uk plug?

I've found that a shaver adapter works fine :-)

Gel June 29th 05 09:49 PM

Yes; simple

DJC June 29th 05 11:18 PM

Mike Harrison wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:57:05 +0100, drky wrote:

I've bought a laptop from germany and i live in the uk, the laptop will
come with a power supply that will work in the uk (switching kind)
however the plug will be germany 2 prong type.

It will probably have one of 3 types of standard mains connectors (IEC, figure-8 and another that
looks like a 3-way figure-8) that go into the PSU - UK style leads are readily and cheaply available
for at least 2 of them.

Maplin do all three types: IEC, fig 8, and clover leaf.

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"

Christian McArdle June 30th 05 09:45 AM

I've bought a laptop from germany and i live in the uk, the laptop will
come with a power supply that will work in the uk (switching kind)
however the plug will be germany 2 prong type.

Buy a new cable. It's safer and you'll still have the euro plug.

Christian.

[email protected] June 30th 05 11:00 AM

:::Jerry:::: wrote:
"drky" wrote in message

Is it easy to take the plug off and rewire with a uk plug?

Basically, if you need to ask such a basic question, no - best get
someone who knows how to wire a plug to show you....

it does seem a worrying question... think I'll second Jerrys
suggestion, get someone to show you how to do it.

NT

newboy July 6th 05 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drky
Hi, i'm just wondering if anyone here can help?

I've bought a laptop from germany and i live in the uk, the laptop will come with a power supply that will work in the uk (switching kind) however the plug will be germany 2 prong type.

Is it easy to take the plug off and rewire with a uk plug?

yes, just no earth