DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Previous owners lied about works done - just found out! (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/109670-previous-owners-lied-about-works-done-just-found-out.html)

Owain June 13th 05 03:53 PM

Set Square wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
As a matter of interest, just how easy/difficult is it to establish
the true identity of a poster. For example, where would I find the
detailed headers for *this* message? Are they likely to show any or
all of:

^ That's you

s.com

ps.com

^ The References are the message IDs above yours in the thread to which
you are replying, not you. Someone else was using Tiscali.

faBkxWQldmr+t9Go3KahgQKmGv3NRps8C5TABKFQyTWTMEwJ vF

^ That's you too.

Interesting! So it's not *too* easy for Joe Public to establish a poster's
real identity without getting information from one's ISP - which they
*hopefully* wouldn't disclose without good reason.

It's quite difficult to get a "real" identity, but quite easy to get
someone's online identity, from which one may deduce facts about their
real identity. For example, if you (in another newsgroup) had posted
something about where you worked, that could be picked up.

However, you can almost always be tracked back through ISPs to the
network logon-ID you are using, or to the phone line if you're using an
0845 no-registration-required ISP.

FWIW, my ISP is *not* Tiscali - despite what the headers may lead you to
believe.

I think John Rumm slipped a line when he was reading, between
Message-ID, Path and References.

Owain

John Rumm June 13th 05 04:11 PM

Set Square wrote:

Interesting! So it's not *too* easy for Joe Public to establish a poster's
real identity without getting information from one's ISP - which they
*hopefully* wouldn't disclose without good reason.

In reality most ISPs roll over with very little provocation alas - some
however have been know to put up a fight. (recent examples of the RIAA
trying to identify people they think are violating copyright spring to mind)

FWIW, my ISP is *not* Tiscali - despite what the headers may lead you to
believe.

Yup, sorry, just glanced at the refered articles which threaded to the
OPs message that was posted from Tiscali - but you aren't the OP! You
posted via indivadual.net, who would no doubt be able to relate your
real identity to that of the post.

--
Cheers,

John.

Ian Stirling June 13th 05 08:24 PM

wrote:
Earl Kella wrote:

In the instance for example IF I were to do nothing and sell on to a new
buyer I think it is unlikely that anyone could match these posts with my
real identity. If they new my newsgroup id they may possibly match this
with rough location, but nothing definate. They would then have to get a
solicitor I imagine to approach tiscali for my real name and account
details.

anyone can track you to your ISP and within a limited area. To get name
or house number would require ISP's cooperation, but they can be very
cooperative.

As you say, although not difficult, its unlikely.

Many news server providers do not provide identifying information (IP, ...)
but only an encrypted version of these, so essentially you can do
nothing.
For example, giganews.

Rick June 13th 05 08:46 PM

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 11:39:11 +0100, "Set Square"

Your posts are in the public domain, on google no less, along with
headers, detailed descriptions of the problem, history, and stated and
explained intention to commit a crime. Your neighbours also know about
it now, and may or may not talk to the next inhabitant.

You must be dumb as well as dishonest.

NT

As a matter of interest, just how easy/difficult is it to establish the true
identity of a poster. For example, where would I find the detailed headers
for *this* message? Are they likely to show any or all of:
* my News.Individual.net account ID
* the IP address from which I posted it
* my ISP
* my logon account name
* etc.?

You are not anonymous, its just a matter of how hard somebody has to
try to find you, and if its worth the effort.

Finding your ISP is easy, getting from there to you is harder.

In the good old days, there were free servers that hid you behind
them, but again once you have access to the server the cloak has gone.

The easisest way to make life easier when trying to find you is to
send you a virus, or spyware, which sits there and reports back
everything you do.

There are levels of everyting, your firewalls, spam filters, virus
scanners will keep out the script kiddes, but not the talanted
attacker determined to find you.

Rick