DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Where to Get IR 'Dome'? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/109579-where-get-ir-dome.html)

David P June 10th 05 12:56 PM

Where to Get IR 'Dome'?

In the cause of tidiness, my Freeview box is now inside a cupboard,
with a solid white painted wood door. No wires show, however, the
remote wont work (obviously).

I want to drill a hole in the door to let the IR beam in (the box is
janmmed up against the door).

What can I use to cover the hole to make it as discrete as possible?

David

Mike June 10th 05 07:27 PM

"David P" wrote in message
ups.com...
In the cause of tidiness, my Freeview box is now inside a cupboard,
with a solid white painted wood door. No wires show, however, the
remote wont work (obviously).

I want to drill a hole in the door to let the IR beam in (the box is
janmmed up against the door).

What can I use to cover the hole to make it as discrete as possible?

Why not get some doors with opaque glass in them. IR should pass through
okay.

Ian Stirling June 10th 05 09:23 PM

Mike wrote:

"David P" wrote in message
ups.com...
In the cause of tidiness, my Freeview box is now inside a cupboard,
with a solid white painted wood door. No wires show, however, the
remote wont work (obviously).

I want to drill a hole in the door to let the IR beam in (the box is
janmmed up against the door).

What can I use to cover the hole to make it as discrete as possible?

Why not get some doors with opaque glass in them. IR should pass through
okay.

It totally depends on the glass.

David P June 10th 05 09:25 PM

Trouble is, the door is an original door built into the alcove at the
side of the fireplace so I'd rather leave it alone as much as possible.

The remote sender is a good idea, but I actually have a Freeview box,
and a surround-sound unit in there too - so I'd need 2 remote sender
kits. A bit expensive really.

Leaving the door ajar works, but, not very pretty!

Vortex June 11th 05 08:28 AM

"David P" wrote in message
ups.com...
In the cause of tidiness, my Freeview box is now inside a cupboard,
with a solid white painted wood door. No wires show, however, the
remote wont work (obviously).

I want to drill a hole in the door to let the IR beam in (the box is
janmmed up against the door).

What can I use to cover the hole to make it as discrete as possible?

David

Try he

http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page3.htm

Lots of options and I imagine one will suit!

david

David P June 11th 05 12:07 PM

Hey this is great. I'll let you know what I go for. Cheers.

Bill June 11th 05 01:58 PM

In message .com,
David P writes
Trouble is, the door is an original door built into the alcove at the
side of the fireplace so I'd rather leave it alone as much as possible.

The remote sender is a good idea, but I actually have a Freeview box,
and a surround-sound unit in there too - so I'd need 2 remote sender
kits. A bit expensive really.

Leaving the door ajar works, but, not very pretty!

I hope you have plenty of ventilation too.

--
Bill

David P June 14th 05 06:42 PM

Well I solved it very easily. The link to satcure (above) lead me to
the IR extender for the Freeview box itself, for =A312 plus p&p. The
discrete pod is next to the tv, and the thin connecting wire is
channelled with all the other TV cables inside a 'floating' shelf. Job
done.

Cheers Vortex.

Vortex June 15th 05 07:48 AM

"David P" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well I solved it very easily. The link to satcure (above) lead me to
the IR extender for the Freeview box itself, for £12 plus p&p. The
discrete pod is next to the tv, and the thin connecting wire is
channelled with all the other TV cables inside a 'floating' shelf. Job
done.

Cheers Vortex.

No worries.

david