DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Mending small hole in canvas tent (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/109440-mending-small-hole-canvas-tent.html)

Rich June 9th 05 09:55 AM

Mending small hole in canvas tent

Hi,

How can I mend a small hole in a canvas frame tent?

Thanks, Rich

Dave Baker June 9th 05 10:50 AM

Rich spampamspam wrote in message
Hi,

How can I mend a small hole in a canvas frame tent?

Thanks, Rich

Struth, that's a tough one. How about stitching a small piece of canvas over
it?
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (www.pumaracing.co.uk)

[news] June 9th 05 10:59 AM

Dave Baker wrote:
Rich spampamspam wrote in message
Hi,

How can I mend a small hole in a canvas frame tent?

Thanks, Rich

Struth, that's a tough one. How about stitching a small piece of
canvas over it?

that'll be 'strewth'

RT

Rick June 9th 05 01:14 PM

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 10:50:10 +0100, "Dave Baker"
wrote:

Rich spampamspam wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

How can I mend a small hole in a canvas frame tent?

Thanks, Rich

Struth, that's a tough one. How about stitching a small piece of canvas over
it?

The neadle holes make a row oftimy holes in the canvas, from meomory
you also put some glue in there that fills up these holes, but I
forget what type of glue...

Rick

Syke June 9th 05 01:15 PM

"[news]" wrote in message
Dave Baker wrote:
Rich spampamspam wrote in message
Hi,

How can I mend a small hole in a canvas frame tent?

Thanks, Rich

Struth, that's a tough one. How about stitching a small piece of
canvas over it?

that'll be 'strewth'

RT

In usage, perhaps, but "struth" could equally be correct as I think you'll
find it's a contraction of "God's Truth"

PJM

Lobster June 9th 05 02:01 PM

Rich wrote:

How can I mend a small hole in a canvas frame tent?

I've done it surprisingly sucessfully using a small bit of duck (aka
duct?) tape - the reinforced, grey, very sticky stuff. Zero hassle and
reasonably long lasting, if inelegant!

This was on a man-made fabric, I have to say, which might well be less
stickable-to than canvas.

--
David

EricP June 9th 05 02:05 PM

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 09:55:26 +0100, Rich spampamspam babbled like a
waterfall and said:

Hi,

How can I mend a small hole in a canvas frame tent?

Thanks, Rich

See if you can find someone who knows the old process of "darning" as
in socks. You will need a length of thread exactly like the canvas one
though.

Done properly it is almost indistinguishable.

Chris Hodges June 9th 05 05:37 PM

Rick wrote:
you also put some glue in there that fills up these holes, but I
forget what type of glue...

Seam sealant?

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk

P.R.Brady June 9th 05 06:22 PM

Rich wrote:
Hi,

How can I mend a small hole in a canvas frame tent?

Thanks, Rich

Hi Rich,
try a camping shop - repair kits with canvas patches and a glue with
the consistency of Copydex.
Phil

Jayne June 9th 05 08:46 PM

The neadle holes make a row oftimy holes in the canvas, from meomory
you also put some glue in there that fills up these holes, but I
forget what type of glue...

Rick

With cotton canvas you don't need to worry too much about ordinary needle
holes - a good soaking usually shrinks them down. You could of course use
glue - often heavy cotton canvas is a bit heavy for a domestic sewing
machine.

If you are going to patch it, make a sandwich of the tent fabric - do a
patch both sides. Also, cut your patch with rounded corners as they tend
not to peel the way square corners do

Jayne

Jonathan Telfer June 9th 05 09:06 PM

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 09:55:26 +0100, Rich wrote:

Hi,

How can I mend a small hole in a canvas frame tent?

Thanks, Rich

As Homer Simpson says:
"if something is hard it's probably not worth doing"

Do you not get the feeling that this particular tent is trying to tell you
something?

Triffid June 10th 05 04:58 AM

Jayne wiffled:
The neadle holes make a row oftimy holes in the canvas, from meomory
you also put some glue in there that fills up these holes, but I
forget what type of glue...

Rick

With cotton canvas you don't need to worry too much about ordinary needle
holes - a good soaking usually shrinks them down. You could of course use
glue - often heavy cotton canvas is a bit heavy for a domestic sewing
machine.

If you are going to patch it, make a sandwich of the tent fabric - do a
patch both sides. Also, cut your patch with rounded corners as they tend
not to peel the way square corners do

Jayne

Troll:

Sewing - definitely womans work :)

Rob Morley June 10th 05 01:00 PM

In article , "Triffid"
says...
Jayne wiffled:
The neadle holes make a row oftimy holes in the canvas, from meomory
you also put some glue in there that fills up these holes, but I
forget what type of glue...

Rick

With cotton canvas you don't need to worry too much about ordinary needle
holes - a good soaking usually shrinks them down. You could of course use
glue - often heavy cotton canvas is a bit heavy for a domestic sewing
machine.

If you are going to patch it, make a sandwich of the tent fabric - do a
patch both sides. Also, cut your patch with rounded corners as they tend
not to peel the way square corners do

Jayne

Troll:

Sewing - definitely womans work :)

Sewing machine = power tool

Jayne June 10th 05 04:27 PM

Troll:

Sewing - definitely womans work :)

No wonder I normally only read posts here - should have known better than
try to post.

Rob Morley June 10th 05 04:33 PM

In article , "Jayne"
says...
Troll:

Sewing - definitely womans work :)

No wonder I normally only read posts here - should have known better than
try to post.

Did you not notice the smiley?

anon June 10th 05 07:52 PM

couldnt agree more - dump it and buy my trailer tent - oops was that an
advert !

Rick June 13th 05 10:45 PM

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 04:58:19 +0100, "Triffid"
wrote:

Jayne wiffled:
The neadle holes make a row oftimy holes in the canvas, from meomory
you also put some glue in there that fills up these holes, but I
forget what type of glue...

Rick

With cotton canvas you don't need to worry too much about ordinary needle
holes - a good soaking usually shrinks them down. You could of course use
glue - often heavy cotton canvas is a bit heavy for a domestic sewing
machine.

If you are going to patch it, make a sandwich of the tent fabric - do a
patch both sides. Also, cut your patch with rounded corners as they tend
not to peel the way square corners do

Jayne

Troll:

Sewing - definitely womans work :)

u calling me a woman ?

raden June 13th 05 11:11 PM

In message , Rick
writes
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 04:58:19 +0100, "Triffid"
wrote:

Jayne wiffled:
The neadle holes make a row oftimy holes in the canvas, from meomory
you also put some glue in there that fills up these holes, but I
forget what type of glue...

Rick

With cotton canvas you don't need to worry too much about ordinary needle
holes - a good soaking usually shrinks them down. You could of course use
glue - often heavy cotton canvas is a bit heavy for a domestic sewing
machine.

If you are going to patch it, make a sandwich of the tent fabric - do a
patch both sides. Also, cut your patch with rounded corners as they tend
not to peel the way square corners do

Jayne

Troll:

Sewing - definitely womans work :)

u calling me a woman ?

Maybe just a bit camp ...

--
geoff

Rob Morley June 14th 05 12:53 AM

In article , "raden"
says...
In message , Rick
writes
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 04:58:19 +0100, "Triffid"
wrote:

Jayne wiffled:
The neadle holes make a row oftimy holes in the canvas, from meomory
you also put some glue in there that fills up these holes, but I
forget what type of glue...

Rick

With cotton canvas you don't need to worry too much about ordinary needle
holes - a good soaking usually shrinks them down. You could of course use
glue - often heavy cotton canvas is a bit heavy for a domestic sewing
machine.

If you are going to patch it, make a sandwich of the tent fabric - do a
patch both sides. Also, cut your patch with rounded corners as they tend
not to peel the way square corners do

Jayne

Troll:

Sewing - definitely womans work :)

u calling me a woman ?

Maybe just a bit camp ...

Do I detect a tents atmosphere between you two?

Triffid June 14th 05 12:54 AM

Jayne wiffled:
Troll:

Sewing - definitely womans work :)

No wonder I normally only read posts here - should have known better than
try to post.

No no no.

I was only pointing out that it took a woman to tell us How It's Done.

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) June 14th 05 11:21 AM

In article , Rick
wrote:

Sewing - definitely womans work :)

u calling me a woman ?

Nah, far too technical for a woman. You need my skills. :-)