DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Screwfix pitch roofing insulation - any good? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/109268-screwfix-pitch-roofing-insulation-any-good.html)

David Pearson June 7th 05 09:26 PM

Screwfix pitch roofing insulation - any good?

Good evening.

Pondering the relative benefits of Kingspan, Celotex, etc,
I spotted this stuff at Screwfix.com:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...4043&id=61516#

and cavity boards:

I have had a good Google, but not found what I need to know,
namely: is this stuff any good, compared with e.g. Celotex and
Kingspan, for insulating my roof between and beneath rafters?

Anyone know what the thermal conductivity (lambda) is, or
who makes the stuff?

The good news is that it is cheap! Is there any bad news?

Thanks very much,
David Pearson.

Mike June 7th 05 10:54 PM

"David Pearson" wrote in message
Pondering the relative benefits of Kingspan, Celotex, etc,
I spotted this stuff at Screwfix.com:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...4043&id=61516#

and cavity boards:

I have had a good Google, but not found what I need to know,
namely: is this stuff any good, compared with e.g. Celotex and
Kingspan, for insulating my roof between and beneath rafters?

I would guess it's similar performance to them - similar sort of foam
material which is the key bit. I think actually it works out at a similar
cost to Kingspan if you shop around but as this is delivered to your door
free it would seem a good deal.

Why not phone their technical department and tell them your BCO wants specs
before allowing you to use it. That will put the onus on them to either
provide the details or tell you who makes it.

Rick June 9th 05 08:35 AM

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 20:26:17 +0000 (UTC), "David Pearson"
wrote:

Good evening.

Pondering the relative benefits of Kingspan, Celotex, etc,
I spotted this stuff at Screwfix.com:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...4043&id=61516#

and cavity boards:

I have had a good Google, but not found what I need to know,
namely: is this stuff any good, compared with e.g. Celotex and
Kingspan, for insulating my roof between and beneath rafters?

Anyone know what the thermal conductivity (lambda) is, or
who makes the stuff?

The good news is that it is cheap! Is there any bad news?

Thanks very much,
David Pearson.

Its MASSIVLY expensive.

Rick

David Pearson June 9th 05 07:04 PM

"Rick" wrote in message

Its MASSIVLY expensive.

Doesn't seem to be.
1200 x 400 x 105 (all mm), 4 off for 37 quid.

Have I missed something important here?

Thanks,
David P.

Mike June 9th 05 07:26 PM

wrote:

Good evening.

Pondering the relative benefits of Kingspan, Celotex, etc,
I spotted this stuff at Screwfix.com:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...4043&id=61516#

and cavity boards:

The good news is that it is cheap! Is there any bad news?

Thanks very much,
David Pearson.

Its MASSIVLY expensive.

I thought that at first but then you see it's for quite a large number of
boards and isn't so bad. But the quantity is well hidden.

David Pearson June 12th 05 10:45 AM

"Mike" wrote in message

Why not phone their technical department and tell them your BCO wants
specs
before allowing you to use it. That will put the onus on them to either
provide the details or tell you who makes it.

I followed Mike's suggestion and called Screwfix. Spoke to a charming
and helpful phone-answering person who told me that the manufacturer
is YBS Insulation. Web site he

www.ybsinsulation.com

.... with some nice PDF files that tell you all about it.

Looks like a decent product - if I use it, I will report
back here.

BTW, the data on the Screwfix web site, about this product,
were approximately useless. So look it up directly at YBS if
you need the data.

-David Pearson.

Bolted June 14th 05 01:52 PM

David Pearson wrote:
"Rick" wrote in message

Its MASSIVLY expensive.

Doesn't seem to be.
1200 x 400 x 105 (all mm), 4 off for 37 quid.

Have I missed something important here?

Sheet size. There are six of these sheets in a normal 8' by 4' sheet,
even with VAT included this is very expensive at around £55 per (full)
sheet.