DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Paint for Retaining Wall (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/109186-paint-retaining-wall.html)

Frank June 7th 05 09:04 AM

Paint for Retaining Wall

What type of paint should I use for a block retaining wall. In wet
weather the wall gets fairly wet so I would be worried about using
standard exterior wall paint (Weathershield/Sandtex etc) because the
dampness seeping out from the wall may lift the paint. The paint is
for decorative purposes. Is there a more permeable exterior paint.
Would a whitewash type finish work?

Thanks

Frank

The Natural Philosopher June 7th 05 08:03 PM

Frank wrote:

What type of paint should I use for a block retaining wall. In wet
weather the wall gets fairly wet so I would be worried about using
standard exterior wall paint (Weathershield/Sandtex etc) because the
dampness seeping out from the wall may lift the paint. The paint is
for decorative purposes. Is there a more permeable exterior paint.
Would a whitewash type finish work?

Thanks

Frank

You could treat the wall with one of thoise wetaherseal things to stop
teh damp seeping out and paint oiver, but I am dubius of the effect of
having a sopping wet wall that may be exposed to frost..

Lobster June 7th 05 08:43 PM

Frank wrote:
What type of paint should I use for a block retaining wall. In wet
weather the wall gets fairly wet so I would be worried about using
standard exterior wall paint (Weathershield/Sandtex etc) because the
dampness seeping out from the wall may lift the paint. The paint is
for decorative purposes. Is there a more permeable exterior paint.
Would a whitewash type finish work?

How about painting it with a bitumen-based (black) paint, then covering
that with an exterior paint?

Just floating it as a suggestion to be shot down; I really don't know if
it would work (especially the bit about overpainting the bitumen paint)

David