DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT 70's TV Show (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/108782-ot-70s-tv-show.html)

Arthur June 2nd 05 11:13 PM

Clive Summerfield June 2nd 05 11:21 PM

'In the avenues and alley ways,
where the soul of a man is easy to buy.
Chorus..
can we ever stop 'em?
Some of us are gonna try..

What was the name of the tv series?
and who was the star?

Arthur

The Protectors from waaaay back in 1972, staring Robert Vaughn as Harry
Rule, Nyree Dawn Porter as some Italian bint and someone rather
forgetable as Paul (some French sounding name). Interestingly enough, it
was a Gerry Anderson production, the Gerry Anderson of Thunderbirds
fame. Seem to remember it as being pretty naff though, apart from the
theme song.

Cheers
Clive

Gary Cavie June 2nd 05 11:24 PM

In article ,
says...
Just had the theme song of a 70's tv
cop series running through my head.

The voice of Tony Christie.

'In the avenues and alley ways,
where the soul of a man is easy to buy.
Chorus..
can we ever stop 'em?
Some of us are gonna try..

What was the name of the tv series?
and who was the star?

Arthur

The Protectors.

Robert Vaughan, Nyree Dawn Porter, Tony Anholt

Sound about right?

BigWallop June 2nd 05 11:26 PM

"Arthur" wrote in message
Just had the theme song of a 70's tv
cop series running through my head.

The voice of Tony Christie.

'In the avenues and alley ways,
where the soul of a man is easy to buy.
Chorus..
can we ever stop 'em?
Some of us are gonna try..

What was the name of the tv series?
and who was the star?

Arthur

The Protectors used this as their theme. I have the best of Tony Christie
CD here, and it says it on the literature booklet inside. :-)

Mike June 2nd 05 11:28 PM

"Arthur" wrote in message
Just had the theme song of a 70's tv
cop series running through my head.

The voice of Tony Christie.

'In the avenues and alley ways,
where the soul of a man is easy to buy.
Chorus..
can we ever stop 'em?
Some of us are gonna try..

What was the name of the tv series?
and who was the star?

Arthur

The Pretenders ?

Posh British woman with hyphenated name and some Italian-looking guy. Tony
?
Ronert Vaughn also appeared quite regularly I think.

And a sillouette of somebody you never saw.

Mike June 2nd 05 11:31 PM

"Mike" wrote in message

"Arthur" wrote in message
Just had the theme song of a 70's tv
cop series running through my head.

The voice of Tony Christie.

'In the avenues and alley ways,
where the soul of a man is easy to buy.
Chorus..
can we ever stop 'em?
Some of us are gonna try..

What was the name of the tv series?
and who was the star?

Arthur

The Pretenders ?

Nope - Protectors as everybody else has now pointed out.

Peter Parry June 2nd 05 11:51 PM

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 22:13:49 +0000 (UTC), Arthur
wrote:

What was the name of the tv series?
and who was the star?

The Protectors, Robert
Vaughn, Nyree Dawn Porter and Tony Anholt?

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Alan June 2nd 05 11:59 PM

In message , Mike
wrote

Posh British woman with hyphenated name

Only a few miles out - she was from New Zealand.

--
Alan

Bob Eager June 3rd 05 12:15 AM

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 22:21:30 UTC, Clive Summerfield
wrote:

The Protectors from waaaay back in 1972, staring Robert Vaughn as Harry
Rule, Nyree Dawn Porter as some Italian bint

The Contessa di Contini ... had that name running through my head today
as I'd just read about some Contessa in a book...

and someone rather
forgetable as Paul (some French sounding name).

Paul Buchet. Actually, not that forgettable - Tony Anholt, who was less
forgettable in that UNforgettable series - Howard's Way! (he was Charles
Frere).

Interestingly enough, it
was a Gerry Anderson production, the Gerry Anderson of Thunderbirds
fame.

Sylvia Anderson was one of the writers.

A hell of a lot of "names" guested in it.

John Rumm June 3rd 05 02:06 AM

Arthur wrote:

Just had the theme song of a 70's tv
cop series running through my head.

The voice of Tony Christie.

'In the avenues and alley ways,
where the soul of a man is easy to buy.
Chorus..
can we ever stop 'em?
Some of us are gonna try..

Tune he

http://tv.cream.org/specialassignmen...protectors.mp3

Bit of background about half way down this page:

http://tv.cream.org/a-z/pq/p3.htm

(and if you are 25 or older, and prone to nostalgia, be very wary of
visiting the http://tv.cream.org site - you can be gone for days! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Davao June 3rd 05 07:32 AM

John Rumm wrote:
Arthur wrote:

Just had the theme song of a 70's tv
cop series running through my head.

The voice of Tony Christie.

'In the avenues and alley ways,
where the soul of a man is easy to buy.
Chorus..
can we ever stop 'em?
Some of us are gonna try..

Tune he

http://tv.cream.org/specialassignmen...protectors.mp3

Bit of background about half way down this page:

http://tv.cream.org/a-z/pq/p3.htm

(and if you are 25 or older, and prone to nostalgia, be very wary of
visiting the http://tv.cream.org site - you can be gone for days! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

If anyone mentions Bobby Bennet and Glynn Poole of Junior Showtime
infamy,
they are going to DIE!

Arthur

Doctor Evil June 3rd 05 09:47 AM

"BigWallop" wrote in message
k...

"Arthur" wrote in message
Just had the theme song of a 70's tv
cop series running through my head.

The voice of Tony Christie.

'In the avenues and alley ways,
where the soul of a man is easy to buy.
Chorus..
can we ever stop 'em?
Some of us are gonna try..

What was the name of the tv series?
and who was the star?

Arthur

The Protectors used this as their theme. I have the best of Tony Christie
CD here, and it says it on the literature booklet inside. :-)

You buy those sorts of CDs? My, oh, my!

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

Arthur June 3rd 05 06:20 PM

Arthur wrote:
Just had the theme song of a 70's tv
cop series running through my head.

The voice of Tony Christie.

'In the avenues and alley ways,
where the soul of a man is easy to buy.
Chorus..
can we ever stop 'em?
Some of us are gonna try..

What was the name of the tv series?
and who was the star?

Arthur

Me and my boyhood buddy used to babysit for neighbours and on saturday
or friday evening there was a tv serial set in ye olde England..you know
heaving busoms and such. The stories were always or seemed to be to my
unknowledgable noggin, bawdy farces where some old rogue has his
salacious way with a comely maiden. The acting was generally of the
Robert Newton style; I seem to remember.

My! how we guffawed!

Anyone remember the title?

Arthur

Mike June 3rd 05 08:20 PM

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Mike
wrote

Posh British woman with hyphenated name

Only a few miles out - she was from New Zealand.

Still a British colony back then :-)

Arthur June 3rd 05 11:53 PM

Mike wrote:
"Arthur" wrote in message

Me and my boyhood buddy used to babysit for neighbours and on saturday
or friday evening there was a tv serial set in ye olde England..you know
heaving busoms and such. The stories were always or seemed to be to my
unknowledgable noggin, bawdy farces where some old rogue has his
salacious way with a comely maiden. The acting was generally of the
Robert Newton style; I seem to remember.

My! how we guffawed!

Anyone remember the title?

Valiant Varnies ?

I think it just came to me.

"Rogue's Gallery"..maybe?

Arthur

Arthur June 4th 05 11:39 PM

Mike wrote:
"Arthur" wrote in message

Mike wrote:

"Arthur" wrote in message

Me and my boyhood buddy used to babysit for neighbours and on saturday
or friday evening there was a tv serial set in ye olde England..you know
heaving busoms and such. The stories were always or seemed to be to my
unknowledgable noggin, bawdy farces where some old rogue has his
salacious way with a comely maiden. The acting was generally of the
Robert Newton style; I seem to remember.

My! how we guffawed!

Anyone remember the title?

Valiant Varnies ?

I think it just came to me.

"Rogue's Gallery"..maybe?

Who was in it ?

I don't remember, although I probably never looked at anything above
heaving bosom level. :)

Arthur