Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Brian

Default Soldering T&E

I'm really, really sorry if I come across as labouring this point, but I
need some definitive advice on the best way of connecting two pieces of
ring-main T&E together.

Regular readers will know that I started off doing this with terminal blocks
but because these would have to be hidden behind plasterboard, either
soldering or crimping was the only way forward.

I chose soldering. I understand there are a couple of gotchs when doing
this:

- each join must be soldered ASAP because the PCV coating on the T&E will
start to melt; this can be a problem if there is a bend in the wire near the
soldering because the copper can "push through" the softened PVC so it
touches its neighbour

- bind the cables together to form a strong mechanical joint before
soldering; keep the solder light to merely enforce the joint.

With that in mind, this is what I did:

- twisted the cables together using pliers
- tinned the soldering iron
- heated the joint and flowed solder onto it

I used a gas-powered soldering iron because, obviously, the power was turned
off.

The joints I made seemed strong but didn't occur in just a few seconds - in
some cases I had to heat the joint maybe 30 seconds or more before it became
hot enough for the solder to melt onto it.

I didn't notice the PVC becoming damaged, either expanding or melting. It
seemed to me to be as good as before. I'm just a little worried that it
might have melted and become compromised above/below the joint, where I
can't see. On the other hand, I've tested the sockets with devices that draw
large currents - if anything had gone wrong, I'd know about it, wouldn't I?

Secondly, I wrapped the joints in electrical tape because I just couldn't
source heat shrink in time. Each joint was wrapped 3 or 4 times, and then
the whole thing was wrapped in more tape.

I *think* I've done this well enough. One final thing I might do is put the
joints inside fireproof boxes so that in the unlikely event of something
going wrong, they won't set the house on fire.