TheScullster

Default Drainage Question

Hi all

I am in the process of having building works done and the contractor started
by sorting the drainage. For various reasons this is an extra and involved:

Removing existing gully and replacing with new.
Adding 2 additional gullies.
Adding 1 inspection chamber 500 dia (6 connection)
Supply/fit about 12m pipe
About 12 elbows, couplers etc
Connecting above to existing clay pipe.

This took one man 3 days with about 1/2 day additional time total from boss
man (in 4 visits).

Question 1

The attachment to the existing clay pipe was made using a thick rubber
reducing sleave.
Looked like it was purpose made admittedly, secured with jubilee clips round
to both plastic and clay. Struck me as odd that the fitting attached around
the O/Dia rather than sleaving into the I/Dia of the clay in the flow
direction. Didn't see whether the plastic slid inside the clay or not!
Is this rubber joint common practice?
(On the positive side, the clay pipe was under an extension wall and this
rubber joint would give some allowance for movement between plastic and clay
pipes).

Question 2

How much should this cost including moving paving slabs, digging out,
refilling with shale and relaying slabs? The site is East Yorkshire.

TIA

Phil

keith_765

"TheScullster" wrote in message
[...]

The answer to question 1
This is general practise, to connect the old type clay drain pipe to
plastic. The reason for the rubber tube connector and stainless steel
jubilee clip is, the old type clay pipes are not perfectly round as are the
newer hep type.

Set Square

TheScullster wrote:

Question 1

The attachment to the existing clay pipe was made using a thick rubber
reducing sleave.
Looked like it was purpose made admittedly, secured with jubilee
clips round to both plastic and clay. Struck me as odd that the
fitting attached around the O/Dia rather than sleaving into the I/Dia
of the clay in the flow direction. Didn't see whether the plastic
slid inside the clay or not!
Is this rubber joint common practice?

Yes. This method is used by water authorities when replacing sections of
broken sewer pipe. They replace clay with plastic and join the new bit in
with these rubber couplings both ends. Ideally, the ID of the two pipes
should be very similar, and the pipes are butted more of less together for
straight-through flow.

Question 2

How much should this cost including moving paving slabs, digging out,
refilling with shale and relaying slabs? The site is East Yorkshire.

Haven't a clue! Didn't you get a quote *before* proceeding?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

John Stumbles

Set Square wrote:

TheScullster wrote:

Question 1

The attachment to the existing clay pipe was made using a thick rubber
reducing sleave.
Looked like it was purpose made admittedly, secured with jubilee
clips round to both plastic and clay. Struck me as odd that the
fitting attached around the O/Dia rather than sleaving into the I/Dia
of the clay in the flow direction. Didn't see whether the plastic
slid inside the clay or not!
Is this rubber joint common practice?

Yes. This method is used by water authorities when replacing sections of
broken sewer pipe. They replace clay with plastic and join the new bit in
with these rubber couplings both ends. Ideally, the ID of the two pipes
should be very similar, and the pipes are butted more of less together for
straight-through flow.

Well even if there's a discontinuity there it'll get filled in and smoothed
by a, er, naturally occurring sealing compound

Question 2

How much should this cost including moving paving slabs, digging out,
refilling with shale and relaying slabs? The site is East Yorkshire.

Assuming that was all included in the 3 days maybe £600 - £900?

Haven't a clue! Didn't you get a quote *before* proceeding?

The OP said "ForÂ*variousÂ*reasonsÂ*thisÂ*isÂ*anÂ*extra"

Set Square

John Stumbles wrote:

Question 2

How much should this cost

Haven't a clue! Didn't you get a quote *before* proceeding?

The OP said "For various reasons this is an extra"

So it wasn't part of the *original* project. I'd still want to know how much
'extras' were going to cost before authorising them!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Rick

On Fri, 20 May 2005 15:57:44 +0100, "TheScullster"
wrote:

[...]

Just guessing .....

Say 4 man days, at 8 hours a day, 10 quid an hour = 360 quid
Machinery hire 70 quid a day = 280

pipes, couplers etc a few hundred quid

your well on your way to a grand.

Rick

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM