Ed

Default Hose connection question

Dear all

Just bought a new hose, but the thread on the tap connection is
slightly different to the thread on my outdoor tap, so it sprays
everywhere.

What is the best way around this? I presume the thread on the hose
connector is standard and the tap I have is old and sh1te. The hose is
too thin to go over the tap nozzle, so I cant just go for the old
jubilee clip around the hose trick.

Are there adapters for this kind of thing, or do I need to replace the
tap

Cheers
Ed

Set Square

Ed wrote:

Just bought a new hose, but the thread on the tap connection is
slightly different to the thread on my outdoor tap, so it sprays
everywhere.

I don't quite understand. The thread is unlikely to be *slightly*
different - unless one is of foreign origin - it will either be the same or
completely different.

If completely different, it won't screw on at all.

If the same, it may possibly not screw on far enough - allowing water to
leak through the threads. If this is the case, use a thicker (or additional)
rubber washer inside the fitting.

If I'm missing the point, upload a photo somewhere and post a reference to
it here.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Ed

It really seems to be slightly different. The thread in the black
plastic thing from B&Q looks slightly wider than the one on the tap. I
cant screw it on any tighter, even though it ooks like it should go on
further. I am loath to break it by forcing it.

mrcheerful

"Ed" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dear all

Just bought a new hose, but the thread on the tap connection is
slightly different to the thread on my outdoor tap, so it sprays
everywhere.

What is the best way around this? I presume the thread on the hose
connector is standard and the tap I have is old and sh1te. The hose is
too thin to go over the tap nozzle, so I cant just go for the old
jubilee clip around the hose trick.

Are there adapters for this kind of thing, or do I need to replace the
tap

Cheers
Ed

just wind in a new tap, they are cheap as chips really

Stuart

On 18 May 2005 03:17:10 -0700, "Ed" wrote:

It really seems to be slightly different. The thread in the black
plastic thing from B&Q looks slightly wider than the one on the tap. I
cant screw it on any tighter, even though it ooks like it should go on
further. I am loath to break it by forcing it.

I bought a tap connector recently for a friend and I have also seen
them in Homebase and you get two different fittings slightly different
sizes .like these
http://www.garden4less.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=2158

http://www.garden4less.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=2175
Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Ed B

Thanks - however they supplied both with this hose. The large one looks
like it should be right, but just isnt.

Stuart

On 18 May 2005 05:44:49 -0700, "Ed B" wrote:

Thanks - however they supplied both with this hose. The large one looks
like it should be right, but just isnt.

Outside taps I have seen have a bit that unscrews but I don't know
what thread size it leaves when you take it off .Does yours or is it
missing . .Looks like you might neeed a new tap fitted .
Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.
Stuart

On Wed, 18 May 2005 14:12:01 +0100, Stuart
wrote:

On 18 May 2005 05:44:49 -0700, "Ed B" wrote:

Thanks - however they supplied both with this hose. The large one looks
like it should be right, but just isnt.

Outside taps I have seen have a bit that unscrews but I don't know
what thread size it leaves when you take it off .Does yours or is it
missing . .Looks like you might neeed a new tap fitted .
Stuart

Does yours look like this chappie.
http://www.midken****er.co.uk/servic...outsidetap.htm
Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.
Ed

Yes, I unscrew the end of the tap and that is where the offending
thread is. And iirc the tap is a dodgy bodge job so I wont be able to
simply unscrew it and replace it without a bit of pipework

Chris Bacon

Ed wrote:
Just bought a new hose, but the thread on the tap connection is
slightly different to the thread on my outdoor tap, so it sprays
everywhere.

Make sure the rubber washer is in place, and suitable.You might need
different or thicker one.

What is the best way around this? I presume the thread on the hose
connector is standard and the tap I have is old and sh1te.

The tap is very likely indeed to have a standard thread, no matter
how old (well, at least 1/2 a century). If the plastic connector
goes on without splitting or the threads being chewed up, that's
not the problem.

The hose is
too thin to go over the tap nozzle, so I cant just go for the old
jubilee clip around the hose trick.

Can you warm the hose up to expand it? You'll probably need a gas
flame, used carefully. Your cooker or hob would do.

Are there adapters for this kind of thing, or do I need to replace the
tap

It sounds as if you've got two already (3/4" and 1" BSP)!

Set Square

Stuart wrote:

On 18 May 2005 03:17:10 -0700, "Ed" wrote:

It really seems to be slightly different. The thread in the black
plastic thing from B&Q looks slightly wider than the one on the tap.
I cant screw it on any tighter, even though it ooks like it should
go on further. I am loath to break it by forcing it.

I bought a tap connector recently for a friend and I have also seen
them in Homebase and you get two different fittings slightly different
sizes .like these
http://www.garden4less.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=2158

http://www.garden4less.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=2175
Stuart

The ones you quote fit taps with 3 different output thread sizes - 1/2"BSP
(using adapter), 3/4"BSP and 1"BSP. These are all sufficiently different
that there's no way in which the wrong one would *nearly* fit.

I'm still struggling to understand what sort of tap the OP has got.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Mike Lyle

Chris Bacon wrote:
Ed wrote:

[...]
The hose is
too thin to go over the tap nozzle, so I cant just go for the old
jubilee clip around the hose trick.

Can you warm the hose up to expand it? You'll probably need a gas
flame, used carefully. Your cooker or hob would do.

Hot, not boiling, water, I'd say. But that won't help if the tap has
a screw thread on the outer end, which seems to be what we're talking
about. I think there's something funny about the thread on either the
tap or the hose-connector. Maybe Ed should borrow a couple of hoses
from neighbours for comparison.

--
Mike.

Ed B

Perhaps I'm just being a **** and the thing really should fit, but I
spent a good half hour last night trying to screw it on without cross
threading it. When screwed on as hard as possible it still squirts
everywhere, suggesting the plastic bit is too big for the tap I have.

Will try again tonight and perhaps take some pix

cheers all

David Lang

Hi Chris
The tap is very likely indeed to have a standard thread, no matter
how old (well, at least 1/2 a century). If the plastic connector
goes on without splitting or the threads being chewed up, that's
not the problem.

Dead right. All threaded taps are BSP threads, even in Europe. In 30 years
of connecting pressure washers to taps I've never found a domestic tap that
wasn't 3/4" BSP.

In industry you occasionally find 1" and rarely 1/2", but as you say, they
are chalk & cheese.

It almost has to be 3/4" BSP which means the adaptor may be faulty - bad
moulding or something. Try another one!

Dave

Sue Begg

In message , David Lang
writes
Hi Chris
The tap is very likely indeed to have a standard thread, no matter
how old (well, at least 1/2 a century). If the plastic connector
goes on without splitting or the threads being chewed up, that's
not the problem.

Dead right. All threaded taps are BSP threads, even in Europe. In 30 years
of connecting pressure washers to taps I've never found a domestic tap that
wasn't 3/4" BSP.

In industry you occasionally find 1" and rarely 1/2", but as you say, they
are chalk & cheese.

It almost has to be 3/4" BSP which means the adaptor may be faulty - bad
moulding or something. Try another one!

Dave

I have just connected up an outside tap and put a double adapter on it
to run hoses to two different areas. I have used PTFE tape (think that's
right ? ) because I had water squirting out. I still have a very slow
drip, but it is manageable and certainly worth a try
--
Sue Begg
Remove my clothes to reply

Do not mess in the affairs of dragons - for
you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Tony Bryer

In article , David Lang wrote:
Dead right. All threaded taps are BSP threads, even in Europe. In 30 years
of connecting pressure washers to taps I've never found a domestic tap that
wasn't 3/4" BSP.

There are 5/8" taps around - I used to have one!

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

Set Square

Tony Bryer wrote:

In article , David
Lang wrote:
Dead right. All threaded taps are BSP threads, even in Europe. In
30 years of connecting pressure washers to taps I've never found a
domestic tap that wasn't 3/4" BSP.

There are 5/8" taps around - I used to have one!

Ditto. But a 3/4 connector wouldn't begin to stay put on a 5/8 tap - so that
is unlikely to be the OP's problem.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Chris Bacon

Set Square wrote:
Tony Bryer wrote:
David Lang wrote:
Dead right. All threaded taps are BSP threads, even in Europe. In
30 years of connecting pressure washers to taps I've never found a
domestic tap that wasn't 3/4" BSP.

There are 5/8" taps around - I used to have one!

Ditto. But a 3/4 connector wouldn't begin to stay put on a 5/8 tap - so that
is unlikely to be the OP's problem.

When I had this problem, it was the (new!) washer, not being thick
enough to squash between the plastic fitting and the brass tap. The
water pressure is high enough here to easily squirt a jet over the
house, which is a fairly tall one, for a two storey. Until I got
the thing sorted out, water simply *hissed* out all over the place.
Mike Lyle

Ed B wrote:
Perhaps I'm just being a **** and the thing really should fit, but

spent a good half hour last night trying to screw it on without

cross
threading it. When screwed on as hard as possible it still squirts
everywhere, suggesting the plastic bit is too big for the tap I

have.

Will try again tonight and perhaps take some pix

cheers all

OK, I reckon if it screws on smoothly and doesn't fall off, even when
the water's turned on, it must -- as somebody's already said -- be a
poor seal, not the wrong size. That's most likely caused by the lack
of a washer: they can jump out and run away when one isn't looking.
Just possibly, I suppose, this particular fitting may be too deep to
screw up snugly to the mouth of this particular tap: an extra washer
or two should cure that; but it doesn't seem likely to me.

--
Mike.

Sarah Dale

Ed B wrote:
Perhaps I'm just being a **** and the thing really should fit, but I
spent a good half hour last night trying to screw it on without cross
threading it. When screwed on as hard as possible it still squirts
everywhere, suggesting the plastic bit is too big for the tap I have.

PTFE tape wrapped round your tap screw thread thread before connecting
the hose screw top should take care of that. Works a treat.

Sarah

Ed

I got a different adapter with a shallower screw and this seems to have
done the trick. The one that came originally wasnt screwing far enough
on and the washer wasnt touching the metal i presume, hence the spray

Ed B

Spot on Sir. I got a different adapter with a shallower screw and this
seems to have done the trick. The one that came originally wasnt
screwing far enough on and the washer wasnt touching the metal i
presume, hence the spray

David Lang

Hi Tony
There are 5/8" taps around - I used to have one!

People used them when washing away rocking horse droppings.

:-)

Dave

Nick Maclaren

In article ,
David Lang wrote:
Hi Tony
There are 5/8" taps around - I used to have one!

People used them when washing away rocking horse droppings.

:-)

I know that connector sizes are not quite the same but, when looking
through my father in law's collection of tap washers, there were a
lot of 1/2" and 3/4", some 5/8" and two 9/16" ones.

There was also some sort of measuring implement that defeated the
Whipple Museum, and I mean to send to the National Maritime Museum
to see if they have a clue what it is. My father in law couldn't
remember.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Mike Lyle

Ed B wrote:
Spot on Sir. I got a different adapter with a shallower screw and

this
seems to have done the trick. The one that came originally wasnt
screwing far enough on and the washer wasnt touching the metal i
presume, hence the spray

Aha! Material for the memory bank, so thank _you_ ! Glad it worked
out.

--
Mike.

Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
[...]
There was also some sort of measuring implement that defeated the
Whipple Museum, and I mean to send to the National Maritime Museum
to see if they have a clue what it is. My father in law couldn't
remember.

Come on! You don't expect us to take that lying down, do you?
Description, please.

--
Mike.

Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:
[...]
There was also some sort of measuring implement that defeated the
Whipple Museum, and I mean to send to the National Maritime Museum
to see if they have a clue what it is. My father in law couldn't
remember.

Come on! You don't expect us to take that lying down, do you?
Description, please.

A Bakelite (I think) tube about 6" long and 1/2" diameter with
a cap that pulls off to release two steel rods. Those fit through
holes in the tube (at right angles). He was a marine engineer,
so it could have been a device for measuring the wear on engine
cylinders. Or something.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
David Lang

Hi Nick
I know that connector sizes are not quite the same but, when looking
through my father in law's collection of tap washers, there were a
lot of 1/2" and 3/4", some 5/8" and two 9/16" ones.

I have once in 30 years come across a 7/8" BSP tap. Lewisham Council used
them on the ground floor of tower blocks. The taps are for washing the bin
areas, but they got huge water bill because the residents used them for car
washing.

They changed all the tap threads to 7/8" so the residents can't connect to
them.

On a similar basis, I did hear that Ford Motor Co in Dagenham have all their
3 pin 230v sockets & plugs made with the earth pin horizontal and the
live/neutral vertical. It was to stop the theft of plugs which cost Ford a
fortune every year.

Dave

Fred

"David Lang" wrote:

On a similar basis, I did hear that Ford Motor Co in Dagenham have all their
3 pin 230v sockets & plugs made with the earth pin horizontal and the
live/neutral vertical. It was to stop the theft of plugs which cost Ford a
fortune every year.

Close, its just the earth pin that is different.

See:
http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/products...5&rangeid=1037

Of course with the right contacts you can equip your house with the
correct sockets ;-)

Nick Maclaren

In article , Fred writes:
| "David Lang" wrote:
|
| On a similar basis, I did hear that Ford Motor Co in Dagenham have all their
| 3 pin 230v sockets & plugs made with the earth pin horizontal and the
| live/neutral vertical. It was to stop the theft of plugs which cost Ford a
| fortune every year.
|
| Close, its just the earth pin that is different.
|
| See:
| http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/products...5&rangeid=1037
|
| Of course with the right contacts you can equip your house with the
| correct sockets ;-)

It is generally the case that the cost of the bureaucracy to stop
such petty theft, including the extra costs of special fittings,
paper etc. costs 2-3 times as much as the theft. This applies to
headed envelopes, MOD toilet paper and so on. But it is money
well spent, according to dogma.

This does not apply to systematic, organised theft, both because
the losses are much higher and because the cost of stopping it is
much lower.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

David Lang

Hi Fred
Close, its just the earth pin that is different.

Makes sense, cheaper & just as effective.

Of course with the right contacts you can equip your house with the
correct sockets ;-)

ROFL!

Dave

In uk.d-i-y Ed B wrote:
Perhaps I'm just being a **** and the thing really should fit, but I
spent a good half hour last night trying to screw it on without cross
threading it. When screwed on as hard as possible it still squirts
everywhere, suggesting the plastic bit is too big for the tap I have.

Will try again tonight and perhaps take some pix

I've hit a similar problem when fitting up some pressure reducers for
a greenhouse watering system.

There definitely were two different thread pitches on what should have
been the same size 3/4" BSP fittings, I've since sent the 'odd' ones
to the dustbin in the sky where all such things deserve to be.

--
Chris Green

In uk.d-i-y David Lang wrote:
Hi Chris
The tap is very likely indeed to have a standard thread, no matter
how old (well, at least 1/2 a century). If the plastic connector
goes on without splitting or the threads being chewed up, that's
not the problem.

Dead right. All threaded taps are BSP threads, even in Europe. In 30 years
of connecting pressure washers to taps I've never found a domestic tap that
wasn't 3/4" BSP.

Well as I said earlier in the thread I have come across hose fittings
which are nearly, but not quite, 3/4" BSP. Not the taps themselves
but intermediate bits which *should* have been able to interface with
standard 3/4" but wouldn't. On inspection it was obvious that the
thread pitch was slightly different.

--
Chris Green
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:
[...]
There was also some sort of measuring implement that defeated the
Whipple Museum, and I mean to send to the National Maritime

Museum
to see if they have a clue what it is. My father in law couldn't
remember.

Come on! You don't expect us to take that lying down, do you?
Description, please.

A Bakelite (I think) tube about 6" long and 1/2" diameter with
a cap that pulls off to release two steel rods. Those fit through
holes in the tube (at right angles). He was a marine engineer,
so it could have been a device for measuring the wear on engine
cylinders. Or something.

Actually, I find I do feel like a nice lie-down.

--
Mike.

Duncan Heenan

"Sarah Dale" wrote in message
Ed B wrote:
Perhaps I'm just being a **** and the thing really should fit, but I
spent a good half hour last night trying to screw it on without cross
threading it. When screwed on as hard as possible it still squirts
everywhere, suggesting the plastic bit is too big for the tap I have.

You may have the wrong size connector (implied by it being difficult to
screw on), or possibly the rubber washer or O ring which normally provides
the watertight seal inside is missing. These things are cheaply made and low
precision however, and dripping connectors are not uncommon.