DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Earthing a kitchen sink - what size cable? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/106382-earthing-kitchen-sink-what-size-cable.html)

John Rumm May 16th 05 10:30 PM

BigWallop wrote:

(IEE Safety Extract)

Voltage alone doesn't kill; it is different voltages between different parts of
the body, and the resulting currents, that can prove injurious or fatal. As
earlier, under certain fault conditions, parts of the earthing system in the
house may not be at earth potential but significantly above it. The

Works as well the other way round though... in the event of making
contact with a live surface or conductor you will be fine right up until
the point you touch your earthed sink at the same time. In this case a
floating (i.e. unbonded) sink would be better.

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy Dingley May 16th 05 10:33 PM

On Mon, 16 May 2005 20:48:04 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

The water pipes which are in contactwith the sink are surely earthed?

Unless the are plastic.... or cocooned in PTFE tape!

Or even "Unless they may _become_ plastic at some unspecified point in
the future"

If earthing or bonding something is a good idea, then it should be done,
and it should be done in a way that's long-term reliable, even after a
(fairly likely) plumbing change.

Separate question:

Why bond in bathrooms, but not kitchens ?

Andy Dingley May 16th 05 10:35 PM

On Mon, 16 May 2005 21:11:42 +0100, tony sayer
wrote:

Something to do with it "might not be a good idea to make a better earth
than what otherwise might be" or something like that?.

The only reason to earth something is if you're intending to pass an
earth fault current through it. Now there are fault conditions where
having this happen with a kitchen sink is a good thing (and so
recommending earthing) but for the likely conditions in a kitchen, the
fault that puts a fault current into the sink is going to be passing
through the wet hands of a washer-up -- definitely not a good reason to
earth it.

John Rumm May 17th 05 01:47 AM

Andy Dingley wrote:

Why bond in bathrooms, but not kitchens ?

How often are you naked in the kitchen?

--
Cheers,

John.

raden May 17th 05 01:55 AM

In message , John
Rumm writes
Andy Dingley wrote:

Why bond in bathrooms, but not kitchens ?

How often are you naked in the kitchen?

Aren't bedrooms the traditional place for naked bondage ?

--
geoff

John Rumm May 17th 05 03:09 AM

raden wrote:

How often are you naked in the kitchen?

Aren't bedrooms the traditional place for naked bondage ?

But are you truly naked if wearing bondage gear?

--
Cheers,

John.

:::Jerry:::: May 17th 05 09:17 AM

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Andy Dingley wrote:

Why bond in bathrooms, but not kitchens ?

How often are you naked in the kitchen?

More to the point, how often are you naked in a bathroom with un
isolated electrical equipment [1] and how often are you in a kitchen
naked with un isolated electrical equipment, I would suggest people
(as a whole) spend more time naked in the kitchen than in a bathroom
with such electrical equipment.

Anyway, what's wrong being naked in any room of a house....

[1] they any other part of the body other than hands or possibly head
might come into contact with.

Mary Fisher May 17th 05 10:34 AM

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Andy Dingley wrote:

Why bond in bathrooms, but not kitchens ?

How often are you naked in the kitchen?

Mind your own business!

Mary

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy Dingley May 17th 05 11:09 AM

On Tue, 17 May 2005 01:47:04 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Why bond in bathrooms, but not kitchens ?

How often are you naked in the kitchen?

How naked do I need to be ? Bare feet and wet hands is surely enough to
matter.

And if nakedness is the criterion, why not bond bedrooms too? What
happens if you have an iron bedstead with christmas lights dangling from
it ?

Owain May 17th 05 12:55 PM

John Rumm wrote:
raden wrote:
How often are you naked in the kitchen?

Aren't bedrooms the traditional place for naked bondage ?

But are you truly naked if wearing bondage gear?

Usually only the bondee is in bondage gear.

The bonder isn't.

I suppose it all gets a bit messy if you try unibond.

Owain

Mary Fisher May 17th 05 01:00 PM

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

And if nakedness is the criterion, why not bond bedrooms too? What
happens if you have an iron bedstead with christmas lights dangling from
it ?

Christmas lights on the bedstead? There's a thought ... no, don't fancy it.
Don't like Christmas or any other kind of dangly lights anywhere, even at
Christmas.

Can't beat beautiful candles for the best light :-)

Mary

Andy Dingley May 17th 05 01:33 PM

On Tue, 17 May 2005 13:00:45 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Christmas lights on the bedstead? There's a thought

I was thinking of this
http://codesmiths.com/shed/furniture/beds/andrea/

(not my bed, I just made it)

Mary Fisher May 17th 05 01:45 PM

wrote:

Christmas lights on the bedstead? There's a thought

I was thinking of this
http://codesmiths.com/shed/furniture/beds/andrea/

(not my bed, I just made it)

You know, that looks so much like a son's bed which he made for one of his
degrees ... but without the fairy lights and lizard! It's now in our loft in
bits, he doesn't want it. One day, when we need some steel it will find its
way down.

Such embellishments are spider motorways.

Mary

Mary Fisher May 17th 05 04:22 PM

"Owain" wrote in message

Usually only the bondee is in bondage gear.

The bonder isn't.

I suppose it all gets a bit messy if you try unibond.

Nice one!

Mary

Owain

raden May 17th 05 09:42 PM

In message ws.net,
":::Jerry::::" writes

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Andy Dingley wrote:

Why bond in bathrooms, but not kitchens ?

How often are you naked in the kitchen?

More to the point, how often are you naked in a bathroom with un
isolated electrical equipment [1] and how often are you in a kitchen
naked with un isolated electrical equipment, I would suggest people
(as a whole) spend more time naked in the kitchen than in a bathroom
with such electrical equipment.

Anyway, what's wrong being naked in any room of a house....

.... Waves (discreetly)

--
geoff

raden May 17th 05 09:42 PM

In message , Owain
writes
John Rumm wrote:
raden wrote:
How often are you naked in the kitchen?
Aren't bedrooms the traditional place for naked bondage ?

But are you truly naked if wearing bondage gear?

Usually only the bondee is in bondage gear.

The bonder isn't.

I suppose it all gets a bit messy if you try unibond.

Yeah ... bloody students

--
geoff

raden May 17th 05 09:42 PM

In message , John
Rumm writes
raden wrote:

How often are you naked in the kitchen?

Aren't bedrooms the traditional place for naked bondage ?

But are you truly naked if wearing bondage gear?

Yerra very very naughty boy ... lick these shoes

--
geoff

Owain May 17th 05 09:48 PM

raden wrote:
I suppose it all gets a bit messy if you try unibond.

Yeah ... bloody students

' Course, in my day there was a choice of unibond or polygrip

Owain