Default switched spur for whirlpool bath.

I had always believed that it was not possible to install any kind of
switch in a bathroom unless it was a pull-cord switch, however I have
read recently that switches are banned within 0.6m of any part of a
bath or shower basin unless it is a pull cord switch.

This implies that I can install a switch providing it is more than 0.6m
away. I hope to get to the library to check for myself but in the
meantime can anyone confirm that my understanding is correct and this
is actually backed up by the wiring regulations.

My requirement is to install a switched spur for a whirlpool bath with
an integral pump. I don't want to use a pull cord but would prefer to
keep this switch within the bathroom if this were possible. I believe
I could mount the switch so that it was over 0.6m from both the bath
and the shower.

BigWallop

wrote in message
oups.com...
I had always believed that it was not possible to install any kind of
switch in a bathroom unless it was a pull-cord switch, however I have
read recently that switches are banned within 0.6m of any part of a
bath or shower basin unless it is a pull cord switch.

This implies that I can install a switch providing it is more than 0.6m
away. I hope to get to the library to check for myself but in the
meantime can anyone confirm that my understanding is correct and this
is actually backed up by the wiring regulations.

My requirement is to install a switched spur for a whirlpool bath with
an integral pump. I don't want to use a pull cord but would prefer to
keep this switch within the bathroom if this were possible. I believe
I could mount the switch so that it was over 0.6m from both the bath
and the shower.

Condensed water droplets always run downward on a surface. I think Isaac
Newton was the cause of that, the bugger. And just make sure your hands and
feet are perfectly dry when you switch it on or off as well. :-)

Martin Angove

In message ,
Stefek Zaba wrote:

wrote:
I had always believed that it was not possible to install any kind of
switch in a bathroom unless it was a pull-cord switch, however I have
read recently that switches are banned within 0.6m of any part of a
bath or shower basin unless it is a pull cord switch.

This implies that I can install a switch providing it is more than 0.6m
away. I hope to get to the library to check for myself but in the
meantime can anyone confirm that my understanding is correct and this
is actually backed up by the wiring regulations.

Yes, the UK regs changed - in 2001? - to introduce the idea of Zones in
the bathroom, with increasingly stringent requirements the closer you
get to the bath/shower. The piccies are all over the On-Site Guide, and
are reproduced at many places on t'superinterwebhypeway, e.g. at
http://www.greenwood.co.uk/data/Bath...20Ed_Jan03.pdf

Your switched-fused-connection-unit or 20A-double-pole-switch will be OK
in Zone 3, meaning 0.6m or more away from the nearest edge of bath or
shower (but see the piccie and accompanying commentary for more details).

Probably obvious but worth pointing out; that is 0.6m horizontally :-)
If you want to go vertical you're looking at 3m or more above floor
level. If you can't make 0.6m horizontally but don't need it directly
over the bath you'll get away with it if you can make 2.25m or higher.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... Stealing is illegal: our government hates the competition!

Thanks for the advice guys, always informative. Yes I had realised
that the horizontal and vertical distances were different, I even had a
vague awareness of the zone concept but I haven't done any electrical
work in the bathroom recently and for some reason I assumed that this
only applied to light fittings. The switch will actually be located
near the door just above skirting level and in all honesty I suspect
will normally be left in the on position unless I need to do some kind
of maintenance on the pump.

Thanks again.

dennis@home

"Tim Mitchell" wrote in message

Also wouldn't Part P apply to this, being in a bathroom?

(still trying to work out what it does and doesn't apply to)

It doesn't apply to factories, offices, shops, etc.

Or to anything done in the old colours that you say was done last year.

Or to anything plugged into a socket.
So you can expect fatalities caused by trailing 4 way extensions in the
kitchen all because the IEE wants to make some more cash.

Shower bath mixer tap woes Andy UK diy 8 August 22nd 05 03:43 PM
Refitting a bathroom Dave UK diy 7 November 22nd 04 11:11 AM
Bath advice Martin Wilson UK diy 2 November 13th 04 06:44 AM
Sealant around bath not setting! BraileTrail UK diy 14 January 14th 04 08:49 PM
Rubber strip for front edge of bath David W.E. Roberts UK diy 9 October 14th 03 11:50 AM