DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Light switch wiring (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/105611-light-switch-wiring.html)

[email protected] May 8th 05 08:25 AM

Light switch wiring

Looking at a nearly completed extension the other day, I noticed that
there were two separate cables awaiting connection in each light switch
patress, one being a live feed and the other going to the light
fitting.
I know how lighting is wired in the style where one cable carries a
live feed through the switch back to the junction box then to the lamp,
but how is this style wired up?
Thinking about it, there seems to be one connection point short using a
conventional light switch.

The Natural Philosopher May 8th 05 10:26 AM

wrote:

Looking at a nearly completed extension the other day, I noticed that
there were two separate cables awaiting connection in each light switch
patress, one being a live feed and the other going to the light
fitting.
I know how lighting is wired in the style where one cable carries a
live feed through the switch back to the junction box then to the lamp,
but how is this style wired up?
Thinking about it, there seems to be one connection point short using a
conventional light switch.

There is.

Common the neutrals using a connector block, and maybe the earths as
well, but take a 'tail' from that to earth to the switch metal, and use
L1 and common for the two reds (or whatever colour they are these days)

[email protected] May 8th 05 11:09 AM

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Thanks. So one has to put a connector block in the back box?
How is this better than using junction boxes in the ceiling void, or am
I missing something?

dave stanton May 8th 05 11:33 AM

Thanks. So one has to put a connector block in the back box?
How is this better than using junction boxes in the ceiling void, or am
I missing something?

Because the joint is accesible much more easily than under floorboards.

Dave

Lobster May 8th 05 03:27 PM

wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

wrote: There is.

Common the neutrals using a connector block, and maybe the earths
as well, but take a 'tail' from that to earth to the switch metal,
and use L1 and common for the two reds (or whatever colour they are
these days)

Thanks. So one has to put a connector block in the back box? How is
this better than using junction boxes in the ceiling void, or am I
missing something?

I think just when specific circumstances dictate; eg I'm shortly going
to be fitting an outside light; the switch will be almost directly on
the other side of the wall from the light's location, and it will be
under the stairs which will make it a sod to get cables to. Using
junction boxes above the ceiling I'd need to run two cables (would be
about 4-5m long); one running to the switch, the other to the light
fitting. Far easier to have a single cable running down to the switch,
and then another short one through the wall to the light fitting,
handling the switching wiring using a connector block behind the light
switch.

David

johnty May 8th 05 04:01 PM

OK, I see. Thanks, all.

The Natural Philosopher May 8th 05 09:12 PM

wrote:

[...]

Easier to get at when they fall to pieces?