DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How do I seal flaking emulsion on ceiling? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/105182-how-do-i-seal-flaking-emulsion-ceiling.html)

Keith \(Dorset\) May 4th 05 02:26 PM

How do I seal flaking emulsion on ceiling?

Hi all,

A very basic DIY query!

We have patches of old emulsion paint peeling from a ceiling which I now
need to redecorate.

How can I best 'seal' the flakes, after scarping off the loose stuff, before
overpainting?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Keith

Chris Bacon May 4th 05 02:37 PM

Keith (Dorset) wrote:
We have patches of old emulsion paint peeling from a ceiling which I now
need to redecorate.

How can I best 'seal' the flakes, after scarping off the loose stuff, before
overpainting?

Paint it all with wallpaper paste. Then, get some lining paper, paste
that too, let it "soak" for 20 minutes, and put it up, brushing out any
bubbles, and butting the edges *just* up together. When it's dry, paint
the lot for a lovely blemish-free ceiling.

[news] May 4th 05 02:45 PM

Keith (Dorset) wrote:
Hi all,

A very basic DIY query!

We have patches of old emulsion paint peeling from a ceiling which I now
need to redecorate.

How can I best 'seal' the flakes, after scarping off the loose stuff, before
overpainting?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Keith

is it emulsion ? if it is I can't see why it would be flaking. if it's dry and chalky then
it's not emulsion, it's distemper and the only way to ensure adhesion of anything,
paint or paper, is to spray it with water to losen it up and scrape it all off.

RT

Chris Bacon May 4th 05 02:49 PM

[news] wrote:
is it emulsion ? if it is I can't see why it would be flaking.

Grease.

Poor quality paint.

Ceiling excessively polished during plastering.

Keith \(Dorset\) May 5th 05 07:34 AM

Thanks guys...

It could be a thin layer of emulsion over distemper as it's an old house
(c`1840) and, thinking about it I most quickly likely it painted over when
we stripped the place out 14 years ago. In those days I used cheap paint - a
false economy as I know now!.

regards,

Keith

Chris Bacon May 5th 05 12:46 PM

Keith (Dorset) wrote:
It could be a thin layer of emulsion over distemper as it's an old house
(c`1840)

Oh, messy. A cheap flat pan scourer (not too abrasive), with warm
water and a bit of sugar soap (or washing-up liquid). In a day or
two you will have a nice clean ceiling. Anyone know a better way
to wash off distemper?