DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Grouting Travertine Tiles? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/105117-grouting-travertine-tiles.html)

mark b May 3rd 05 08:45 PM

Grouting Travertine Tiles?

So far:

Kitchen is done out with 4" natural stone tiles. Tiles are sealed.
I've avoided grouting them for too long as they cost a lot and took me ages
and I'm scared of messing them up!
The tile surface is pitted which is part of the look.

When I grout, ( 'ivory') should I do it in the conventional swishing across
the lot and filling the holes or somehow point up the joints?
What do others do?

Thank you

mark b

The Natural Philosopher May 3rd 05 10:03 PM

mark b wrote:

So far:

Kitchen is done out with 4" natural stone tiles. Tiles are sealed.
I've avoided grouting them for too long as they cost a lot and took me ages
and I'm scared of messing them up!
The tile surface is pitted which is part of the look.

When I grout, ( 'ivory') should I do it in the conventional swishing across
the lot and filling the holes or somehow point up the joints?
What do others do?

I sealed. swished the lot, and spent the next hour washing carefully
with a damp sponge, rinsed EVERY wipe.

Do not do to big an area at a time.

That gets 99% off te tiles, though the cracks in it are always a problem.

A mild descaler gets the rest of the white 'film' off, and more wiping,
and a coat of color intensifier restores most of the quality of color.

Thank you

mark b

Jeff May 3rd 05 10:25 PM

"mark b" wrote in message

So far:

Kitchen is done out with 4" natural stone tiles. Tiles are sealed.
I've avoided grouting them for too long as they cost a lot and took me

ages
and I'm scared of messing them up!
The tile surface is pitted which is part of the look.

When I grout, ( 'ivory') should I do it in the conventional swishing

across
the lot and filling the holes or somehow point up the joints?
What do others do?

I tend to grout with my finger, pushing it into the gap, takes ages, is
cleaner, you know the grout has 'gone in' rather than just sat on the
surface, and effectively removes your fingerprint and makes said finger sore
as .....

Regards Jeff

andrewpreece May 4th 05 12:25 AM

"Jeff" wrote in message
.. .

"mark b" wrote in message

So far:

Kitchen is done out with 4" natural stone tiles. Tiles are sealed.
I've avoided grouting them for too long as they cost a lot and took me

ages
and I'm scared of messing them up!
The tile surface is pitted which is part of the look.

When I grout, ( 'ivory') should I do it in the conventional swishing

across
the lot and filling the holes or somehow point up the joints?
What do others do?

I tend to grout with my finger, pushing it into the gap, takes ages, is
cleaner, you know the grout has 'gone in' rather than just sat on the
surface, and effectively removes your fingerprint and makes said finger

sore
as .....

Regards Jeff

Ditto what Jeff says, use a finger but for heaven's sake use a glove
otherwise
you will have bleeding fingertips eventually.

Andy

The Natural Philosopher May 4th 05 01:41 PM

Huge wrote:

"andrewpreece" writes:

"Jeff" wrote in message

"mark b" wrote in message

[14 lines snipped]

I tend to grout with my finger, pushing it into the gap, takes ages, is
cleaner, you know the grout has 'gone in' rather than just sat on the
surface, and effectively removes your fingerprint and makes said finger

sore

as .....

Regards Jeff

Ditto what Jeff says, use a finger but for heaven's sake use a glove
otherwise
you will have bleeding fingertips eventually.

I used to do this until I bought a "squidgy" grouting float (from
Screwfix). They're brilliant... Forces the grout into the gaps really
well, and if you dip it in water, cleans the excess off the surface
well, too. All that for £4.95, too.

Think that's roughly what I used as well.

When decorating in any guise, there is no subsitute for patience and
attention to detail though.

A *perfect* finish takes *infinite* time and patience. Whatever tools
you use.

It's up to the individual what level of imperfection they are content with.

housemartin May 4th 05 02:02 PM

Buy a special protective sealer from BAL(Norcross adhesives Ltd)and
apply it first, then after grouting, the sealer washes off taking the
excess grout with it.

Rob Morley May 4th 05 10:36 PM

In article .com,
"housemartin" says...
Buy a special protective sealer from BAL(Norcross adhesives Ltd)and
apply it first, then after grouting, the sealer washes off taking the
excess grout with it.

And presumably stops the grout from sticking where you want it, too.

Housemartin May 5th 05 01:35 PM

Only if you paint it in the grout lines!