Old April 26th 05, 01:24 PM
Jerry

Default Buying Council Land ...

Hi.
Can anyone guide me on how to go about buying council land.
Is it simply it can't be done or are there laws that any one knows
about that may help me.
I am interested in a piece of land in Cramlington, Northumberland which
is attached to my house.
Thanks.

Old April 26th 05, 01:40 PM
Peter Crosland

The first thing to do is contact the Council. If they are willing to sell
they have to get it valued by the District Valuer's office (Part of the
Inland Revenue) and this will be the open market value. In most
circumstances the Council cannot sell for less but there may be exceptional
circumstances.

Peter Crosland

Old April 26th 05, 01:40 PM
Dave Jones

"Jerry" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi.
Can anyone guide me on how to go about buying council land.
Is it simply it can't be done or are there laws that any one knows
about that may help me.
I am interested in a piece of land in Cramlington, Northumberland which
is attached to my house.
Thanks.

contact the council, providing its not common land and its not intended for
access for future development it should be pretty easy.

Old April 26th 05, 01:49 PM
mrcheerful

"Jerry" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi.
Can anyone guide me on how to go about buying council land.
Is it simply it can't be done or are there laws that any one knows
about that may help me.
I am interested in a piece of land in Cramlington, Northumberland which
is attached to my house.
Thanks.

you may find the council has to put it out to tender with at least three
places in order to effect the best price, certainly that is how my local
council would do it.

mrcheerful

Old April 30th 05, 01:43 PM
Mike Clarke

In article .com,
Jerry wrote:

Can anyone guide me on how to go about buying council land. Is it
simply it can't be done or are there laws that any one knows about that
may help me. I am interested in a piece of land in Cramlington,
Northumberland which
is attached to my house.

Depending on the land's use you might have problems. Some years ago a
group of us approached Blyth Valley council in an attempt to acquire
some of the land behind our houses in order to get better sized back
gardens, and save the council the cost of mowing it. We were turned down
because it had been designated in the development plan as an open green
space.

--
Mike Clarke

Old May 1st 05, 07:31 PM
Carolyn

Mike Clarke
wrote:
In article .com,
Jerry wrote:

Can anyone guide me on how to go about buying council land. Is it
simply it can't be done or are there laws that any one knows about
that may help me. I am interested in a piece of land in Cramlington,
Northumberland which
is attached to my house.

Depending on the land's use you might have problems. Some years ago a
group of us approached Blyth Valley council in an attempt to acquire
some of the land behind our houses in order to get better sized back
gardens, and save the council the cost of mowing it. We were turned
down because it had been designated in the development plan as an
open green space.

I did exactly the same thing a couple of years ago. Applied for a piece
of the green playing area at the back of the alleyway that runs behind our
row of terraced houses, which made an `indent` into the alleyway wall..
This was so I could then `accquire` the section of my alleyway and extend
my small yard into it, thus making it more square firstly, and also large enough to
accommodate my motorbike.

I kept the council fully aware of what I intended to use this purchase for, and
as long as I agreed it would not be built upon (its far too small anyway, only
about 10x10feet square in total now, if that), they were okay with it. I guess it
depends on what they have the land earmarked for and what you intend to use it for.

--
Carolyn
CBR400RR Red/White/Purple

DIY conveyancing-plot of land R P McMurphey UK diy 10 February 18th 05 09:18 PM
Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
A challenge for old house lovers Mike Mitchell UK diy 322 September 30th 04 12:29 AM
New Electrical Regulations Tony Bryer UK diy 278 September 25th 03 08:53 PM