DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Detergents and cleaners FAQ (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/104349-detergents-cleaners-faq.html)

Phil Addison June 8th 05 05:38 PM

On 8 Jun 2005 06:36:54 -0700, in uk.d-i-y wrote:

its sold for use on vitreous toilets, (tesco limescale removing toilet
cleaner) and leaves them looking pretty good, so I think it would be
ok. Whether it can be used on plastic baths I dont know.

I would check before advising it for enamel though. Many years ago I
used a proprietary limescale remover on a Colston dishwasher, which in
those days had an enamelled steel innards. I can't recall the make but
it left the white enamel with dark patches which felt less smooth than
the surrounding area. I have no idea what was in the descaler.

Is an enamel coating essentially different from ceramic ware?

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me

[email protected] June 8th 05 08:47 PM

Phil Addison wrote:
On 8 Jun 2005 06:36:54 -0700, in uk.d-i-y wrote:

its sold for use on vitreous toilets, (tesco limescale removing toilet
cleaner) and leaves them looking pretty good, so I think it would be
ok. Whether it can be used on plastic baths I dont know.

I would check before advising it for enamel though. Many years ago I
used a proprietary limescale remover on a Colston dishwasher, which in
those days had an enamelled steel innards. I can't recall the make but
it left the white enamel with dark patches which felt less smooth than
the surrounding area. I have no idea what was in the descaler.

Is an enamel coating essentially different from ceramic ware?

Phil

yes, very. Its always advised not to use the usual bog and bath
cleaners on enamel, they wreck the finish. only to use ones known to be
safe with enamel. I'll add that to the faq then.

cheers, NT

[email protected] June 21st 05 07:23 PM

Most of the glass cleaners you buy at stores are water. I've found its
best to buy glass cleaner through janitorial distributors. They are
almost always super purified formulas made for people who use them
everyday, not suzy homemaker. The best that I've found is a product
called VISTA CLEER, it is the best...awesome. No ammonia, no alcohol.
A compnay called Chase Products makes this glass cleaner. I found out
that the company has been around for like 80 years and the formula is
what most janitors ask for. You will have to call different janitorial
distributors and dealers to find it, call around and ask for it. Its
worth it.

[email protected] June 22nd 05 12:20 AM

wrote:
Most of the glass cleaners you buy at stores are water. I've found its
best to buy glass cleaner through janitorial distributors. They are
almost always super purified formulas made for people who use them
everyday, not suzy homemaker. The best that I've found is a product
called VISTA CLEER, it is the best...awesome. No ammonia, no alcohol.
A compnay called Chase Products makes this glass cleaner. I found out
that the company has been around for like 80 years and the formula is
what most janitors ask for. You will have to call different janitorial
distributors and dealers to find it, call around and ask for it. Its
worth it.

Not done anything on this one for a bit, but it still has some work yet
to go. Just too busy at the mo...

However I did find one more trick today. Having tried all the usual
suspects to clean tea coloured stains off glassware, finally used
toilet cleaner containing HCl. It all wiped off instantly, very
impressed.

NT

Phil Addison June 29th 05 11:37 PM

On 21 Jun 2005 16:20:56 -0700, in uk.d-i-y wrote:

Not done anything on this one for a bit, but it still has some work yet
to go. Just too busy at the mo...

No problem.

However I did find one more trick today. Having tried all the usual
suspects to clean tea coloured stains off glassware, finally used
toilet cleaner containing HCl. It all wiped off instantly, very
impressed.

I'll try that. Our dishwasher has packed up and we are washing up by
hand - didn't realise just how valuable a d/w is!!! However, getting the
tea stains off china mugs is really difficult by hand. Best method so
far is to fill the mug with water, add a bit of Persil and boil up in
the microwave. The stain then wipes off with a hot dishcloth.

[email protected] June 30th 05 10:46 AM

Phil Addison wrote:
On 21 Jun 2005 16:20:56 -0700, in uk.d-i-y wrote:

Not done anything on this one for a bit, but it still has some work yet
to go. Just too busy at the mo...

No problem.

However I did find one more trick today. Having tried all the usual
suspects to clean tea coloured stains off glassware, finally used
toilet cleaner containing HCl. It all wiped off instantly, very
impressed.

I'll try that. Our dishwasher has packed up and we are washing up by
hand - didn't realise just how valuable a d/w is!!! However, getting the
tea stains off china mugs is really difficult by hand. Best method so
far is to fill the mug with water, add a bit of Persil and boil up in
the microwave. The stain then wipes off with a hot dishcloth.

Phil

Just added that too.

I did think about using HCl on china, but thought that one surface
crack, as is fairly common, and it can get through and eat the china.
Also cups often have little bits of unglazed china somewhere. Maybe it
would be ok but Im not so sure.

The other thing is you dont really want to be regularly washing up with
HCl, its just a lil rougher than Fairy liquid on skin :)

NT

Phil Addison September 25th 05 11:56 AM

On 21 Jun 2005 16:20:56 -0700, in uk.d-i-y wrote:

Not done anything on this one for a bit, but it still has some work yet
to go. Just too busy at the mo...

NT

Hi NT,

Now that the Power Tools FAQ is done (it's just gone live) I have had
another look at your Detergents and Cleaners FAQ, and it's really not
bad as is, so I'll start an editing pass over it to format it for the
DIY FAQ. The latest I have seen is 28 May 2005 14:33:49 -0700, message
.

Is that OK, or do you have a later mark-up stashed away? Can you email
me a valid address in case queries arise?

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
e-mai1: editor (a t) diyfaq (stop) o r g (stop) uk = make obvious corrections

[email protected] September 25th 05 08:31 PM

Phil Addison wrote:

Hi NT,

Now that the Power Tools FAQ is done (it's just gone live) I have had
another look at your Detergents and Cleaners FAQ, and it's really not
bad as is, so I'll start an editing pass over it to format it for the
DIY FAQ. The latest I have seen is 28 May 2005 14:33:49 -0700, message
.

Is that OK, or do you have a later mark-up stashed away? Can you email
me a valid address in case queries arise?

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
e-mai1: editor (a t) diyfaq (stop) o r g (stop) uk = make obvious corrections

Hi

This one is in a funny position. Although it looks ok, theres still
quite a bit of work needed to it. Various new material, corrctions, and
so on. And I became too busy to get on and do it. My feeling is its
best to either leave it till I get time to rework it, or else put it up
as a temporary faq, in the knowledge that it may be less than perfect
as is.

I'll drop you my email too

NT

Phil Addison September 25th 05 11:20 PM

On 25 Sep 2005 12:31:59 -0700, in uk.d-i-y wrote:

Phil Addison wrote:

Now that the Power Tools FAQ is done (it's just gone live) I have had
another look at your Detergents and Cleaners FAQ, and it's really not
bad as is, so I'll start an editing pass over it to format it for the
DIY FAQ. The latest I have seen is 28 May 2005 14:33:49 -0700, message
.

Is that OK, or do you have a later mark-up stashed away? Can you email
me a valid address in case queries arise?

This one is in a funny position. Although it looks ok, theres still
quite a bit of work needed to it. Various new material, corrctions, and
so on.

Yes, I realised that. I've imported it into a WP to make it easier to
read and re-format, and spotted a few things to query. Having read it
again, it does have a lot of useful info in it, but some of the
abbreviated notes need expanding a bit for easier reading - I'm happy to
do that and let you check it over. No need to spend more than 15 mins on
it, to just give me an 'ok you're happy to have your nom de plume on
it', or 'no its bollox'.

And I became too busy to get on and do it.

No problem - we all have to do busy things sometimes, and put fun things
like d-i-y aside for a while :-)

My feeling is its
best to either leave it till I get time to rework it, or else put it up
as a temporary faq, in the knowledge that it may be less than perfect
as is.

That's what I have in mind - to tidy it up, remove the obvious things
that look as if they might not be justifiable (or flag them in some
way), and put it up on the /www.diyfaq.org.uk/testing/ area for a while
for the 'team' to spot any errors.

I'll do that if you agree, no need for you to spend more time on it.
After that, yes, flag it as draft and put it in the main FAQ.

I'll drop you my email too

Got it thanks. Will be in touch.

Cheers,

Phil

raden September 25th 05 11:34 PM

In message , Phil Addison
writes
Yes, I realised that. I've imported it into a WP to make it easier to
read and re-format, and spotted a few things to query. Having read it
again, it does have a lot of useful info in it, but some of the
abbreviated notes need expanding a bit for easier reading - I'm happy to
do that and let you check it over. No need to spend more than 15 mins on
it, to just give me an 'ok you're happy to have your nom de plume on
it', or 'no its bollox'.

And I became too busy to get on and do it.

No problem - we all have to do busy things sometimes, and put fun things
like d-i-y aside for a while :-)

Aka - doing a Mary

--
geoff