DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sourcing a Part L compliant part glazed stable door (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/104106-sourcing-part-l-compliant-part-glazed-stable-door.html)

Val April 24th 05 10:52 AM

Sourcing a Part L compliant part glazed stable door

Hi

We are doing an extension and need to source a Part L compliant stable
door. We are in a conservation area so it has to be a particular design
; it has to have a solid wood bottom half and a nine glazed panels wood
top half.

We have been to the sheds (Wickes, Homebase, Focus & B&Q) who all have
such a design of door (it seems to be the exactly same one in each
shed), but their information on it says it is not Part L compliant :(

Does anyone have experience of sourcing such a door ? Can anyone point
us in the right direction of where to get one from ?

Many thanks in advance if anyone can help

Val
--
news

Rick April 24th 05 03:29 PM

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 10:52:44 +0100, Val
wrote:

Hi

We are doing an extension and need to source a Part L compliant stable
door. We are in a conservation area so it has to be a particular design
; it has to have a solid wood bottom half and a nine glazed panels wood
top half.

We have been to the sheds (Wickes, Homebase, Focus & B&Q) who all have
such a design of door (it seems to be the exactly same one in each
shed), but their information on it says it is not Part L compliant :(

Does anyone have experience of sourcing such a door ? Can anyone point
us in the right direction of where to get one from ?

Many thanks in advance if anyone can help

Val

You need a "door shop", they exist with literally thousands of doors
to choose from.

Alternativly there are plenty of people about who will make you a door
- I make my own.

The problem is to acheive both looks and "part L" one possible
solution is to buy two doors, a cheep "part L" door, which you use to
pass building regs, and a nice door to replace the cheep door once you
have final sign off.

Rick

Biff April 24th 05 08:49 PM

Val wrote in message ...
Hi

We are doing an extension and need to source a Part L compliant stable
door. We are in a conservation area so it has to be a particular design
; it has to have a solid wood bottom half and a nine glazed panels wood
top half.

We have been to the sheds (Wickes, Homebase, Focus & B&Q) who all have
such a design of door (it seems to be the exactly same one in each
shed), but their information on it says it is not Part L compliant :(

Does anyone have experience of sourcing such a door ? Can anyone point
us in the right direction of where to get one from ?

Many thanks in advance if anyone can help

Val

You may need to go to a joiner who will make a one off for you. I've
made doors that are easily compliant but you'll have to expect to pay
a good deal more than from your favourite sheds.

Hugo Nebula April 26th 05 09:50 PM

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 10:52:44 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named Val
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

We are doing an extension and need to source a Part L compliant stable
door. We are in a conservation area so it has to be a particular design
; it has to have a solid wood bottom half and a nine glazed panels wood
top half.

It's the _extension_ that needs to comply with Part L. The openings
should have an _average_ U-value of 2.0W/m²K, so if you need to, the
glazing to the windows could have a lower U-value, enabling the door
to be 3.3W/m²K.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"