DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Deoderising microwave oven (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/10315-deoderising-microwave-oven.html)

slifkin July 26th 04 10:41 AM

Deoderising microwave oven

Any suggestions on how to deoderise my microwave oven ? I was doing
popcorn and it burnt, leaving a terrible smell.

Pet July 26th 04 01:55 PM

slifkin wrote:
Any suggestions on how to deoderise my microwave oven ? I was doing
popcorn and it burnt, leaving a terrible smell.

Microwave a whole lemon ?
Just a guess.

--
http://gymratz.co.uk - UK's best bodybuilding supplements,gym equipment.
http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam!

S Viemeister July 26th 04 02:58 PM

Pet wrote:

slifkin wrote:
Any suggestions on how to deoderise my microwave oven ? I was doing
popcorn and it burnt, leaving a terrible smell.

Microwave a whole lemon ?
Just a guess.

Before trying the lemon, wipe out the inside with baking soda paste, and
leave the door open overnight, to let it air out.

Sheila

David July 26th 04 05:31 PM

Deoderising microwave oven

"slifkin" wrote in message
om...
Any suggestions on how to deoderise my microwave oven ? I was doing
popcorn and it burnt, leaving a terrible smell.

zapping a bowl with a some baking soda and water in there seems to ring a
bell , and apparently small cloth bags with baking soda are meant to be good
at deodourising footwear, although they made no discenable differnce to my
climbing shoes but these are pretty extreme.

in fact a quick google throws up this which would tend to agree with the
baking soda idea.
http://www.menlo.com/folks/adamm/coo...microwave.html
http://tips.tipking.com/kitchen/tip_251.shtml

these are the first two results from google... you could put a little bit of
effort in before asking you know.

cheers

David

N. Thornton July 26th 04 08:38 PM

S Viemeister wrote in message ...
Pet wrote:

slifkin wrote:
Any suggestions on how to deoderise my microwave oven ? I was doing
popcorn and it burnt, leaving a terrible smell.

Microwave a whole lemon ?
Just a guess.

Before trying the lemon, wipe out the inside with baking soda paste, and
leave the door open overnight, to let it air out.

Sheila

Just clean it thoroughly, and leave open.

Jo July 26th 04 10:32 PM

Deoderising microwave oven

Half a lemon in a small bowl of water usually works.

Jo

Andrew Gabriel July 26th 04 11:00 PM

Deoderising microwave oven

In article ,
(slifkin) writes:
Any suggestions on how to deoderise my microwave oven ? I was doing
popcorn and it burnt, leaving a terrible smell.

I made the mistake late one evening on ariving home hungry of
searching the freezer for something, and finding a packet of microwave
chips. These were left over from when I'd ripped the kitchen out ~4
years ago and only had a microwave for a month. All right, they were
4 years past their date, but what can happen to microwave chips?
Well, I'll tell you what happens -- they completely freeze dry, leaving
potato powder and oil. When you put that mixture in the microwave for
3 minutes, after about 20 seconds it explodes into flames, which made
the most revolting smell. It took several weeks, but eventually the
smell has gone from the microwave.

The product label should probably be more explicit about not using that
product past its best before date;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel