DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Security Torx (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/102990-security-torx.html)

[email protected] April 16th 05 11:42 PM

Security Torx

Hi

Is there a quick way to remove the central nipple from these, or will I
have to wait a few days for tools to arrive?

I would just use a dangle grinder on them and replace, but dont want to
damage the equipment. Its a microwave.

thanks
NT

Frank Erskine April 16th 05 11:50 PM

On 16 Apr 2005 15:42:18 -0700, wrote:

Hi

Is there a quick way to remove the central nipple from these, or will I
have to wait a few days for tools to arrive?

I've mangled the nipple occasionally with a "sixpenny" (5000V)
screwdriver, but it's a lot easier to have the proper thingie. Machine
Mart do cheapish sets of drivers.

--
Frank Erskine

James Salisbury April 16th 05 11:55 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

Is there a quick way to remove the central nipple from these, or will I
have to wait a few days for tools to arrive?

I would just use a dangle grinder on them and replace, but dont want to
damage the equipment. Its a microwave.

thanks
NT

Try www.farnell.com Why do you want to get the lid off the microwave? The
power supply is considered leathal!!

Andrew Gabriel April 16th 05 11:56 PM

In article .com,
writes:
Hi

Is there a quick way to remove the central nipple from these, or will I
have to wait a few days for tools to arrive?

Stick a small flat bladed screwdriver in the hole and twist
it against the nipple. Blink as you do it, unless you want
the nipple in your eye.

--
Andrew Gabriel

raden April 17th 05 01:02 AM

In message .com,
writes
Hi

Is there a quick way to remove the central nipple from these, or will I
have to wait a few days for tools to arrive?

I would just use a dangle grinder on them and replace, but dont want to
damage the equipment. Its a microwave.

Just wait for the set to arrive

or ... if you have some std torx you could try drilling one out

wait for the set to arruive

--
geoff

Andy Dingley April 17th 05 01:10 AM

On 16 Apr 2005 15:42:18 -0700, wrote:

Is there a quick way to remove the central nipple from these,

Depends. If they're carbon steel, then levering will usually snap it
off. If they're stainless though, they're soft enough for this just
to bend. Then you need to dremel the damn thing out without damaging
the splines too much.

raden April 17th 05 01:12 AM

In message , James
Salisbury writes

wrote in message
roups.com...
Hi

Is there a quick way to remove the central nipple from these, or will I
have to wait a few days for tools to arrive?

I would just use a dangle grinder on them and replace, but dont want to
damage the equipment. Its a microwave.

thanks
NT

Try www.farnell.com Why do you want to get the lid off the microwave? The
power supply is considered leathal!!

CPC are prolly the cheapest

A lethal power supply might cure an ability to spell, but I'm sure NT is
not that stupid, he does have a clue

--
geoff

raden April 17th 05 01:12 AM

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article .com,
writes:
Hi

Is there a quick way to remove the central nipple from these, or will I
have to wait a few days for tools to arrive?

Stick a small flat bladed screwdriver in the hole and twist
it against the nipple. Blink as you do it, unless you want
the nipple in your eye.

Now there's a thought

--
geoff

[email protected] April 17th 05 12:18 PM

James Salisbury wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com.

Is there a quick way to remove the central nipple from these, or

will I
have to wait a few days for tools to arrive?

I would just use a dangle grinder on them and replace, but dont

want to
damage the equipment. Its a microwave.

Try www.farnell.com Why do you want to get the lid off the

microwave?

Cos I cant quite get my head inside, its a bit too small. Need to
enlarge it. Want to dry my hair quicker.

The
power supply is considered leathal!!

Indeed, I used to repair them. No longer generally worth doing though.

Thanks to everyone, I shall attempt snappage. If that doesnt work, I'll
attempt rebendage and waitage, and if all else fails, I'll dangle grind
em off.

OK, youre curious... the food caught fire and the muck spread, courtsey
of the forced ventilation, to places a wash cloth wont reach. So it
just needs a clean.

NT

Harry Bloomfield April 17th 05 02:29 PM

expressed precisely :
Hi

Is there a quick way to remove the central nipple from these, or will I
have to wait a few days for tools to arrive?

I would just use a dangle grinder on them and replace, but dont want to
damage the equipment. Its a microwave.

thanks
NT

I just push a screwdriver blade alongside the nipple and prise it. The
break away quite easily.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Owain April 17th 05 03:04 PM

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
... Blink as you do it, unless you want
the nipple in your eye.

Buying three properties in the Welsh Valleys on a credit card is a very
risky way to start as developers, says Sarah Beeny. Tues 19/5 8pm C4

Owain

Seri April 18th 05 03:29 PM

Your security torx may be tougher than the ones i encountered, but when
my MP3 player died on me I needed to get the drive out of it to recover
my music. Took a standard torx driver and a rubber mallet then just
squished the pin down. The driver didn't sit as low in the screw head
as it should have done, but it was good enough to cleanly remove the
screws without damaging the case or drive inside.

Seri

[email protected] April 18th 05 05:10 PM

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 16 Apr 2005 15:42:18 -0700, wrote:

Is there a quick way to remove the central nipple from these,

Depends. If they're carbon steel, then levering will usually snap it
off. If they're stainless though, they're soft enough for this just
to bend. Then you need to dremel the damn thing out without damaging
the splines too much.

Tried to snap the bits off, but they were surprisingly resilient, and
the case was bending rather than the lil post. Wanted it done quickly,
so I just ground me nipples off with a dangle grinder.

thanks to all. If I dont post for a bit you'll know theyve gone septic
:)

NT