DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Securing externally beaded double glazed windows (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/102960-securing-externally-beaded-double-glazed-windows.html)

[email protected] April 16th 05 02:19 PM

Securing externally beaded double glazed windows

How can I secure externally beaded double glazed windows so the beading
can't be removed and the window removed by burglars. Thanks for all
replies.

Andrew Gabriel April 16th 05 03:00 PM

In article .com,
writes:
How can I secure externally beaded double glazed windows so the beading
can't be removed and the window removed by burglars. Thanks for all
replies.

Using window tape, which replaces the thin plastic/rubber strips
on the inside of externally beaded windows. It doesn't stop you
taking the external beading off, but you can't get any further
without smashing the glass as it's stuck into the frame. I don't
know if it can be retrofitted into older frames, and I could
imagine some potential problems such as it being a different
thickness and the outside seals not working as well, but that's
what new frames use nowadays. You can probably buy it from a
glazing shop (who might give some more advice on retrofitting),
and I've seen it in Wickes to go with their windows.

--
Andrew Gabriel

EricP April 16th 05 03:27 PM

On 16 Apr 2005 06:19:55 -0700, babbled like a
waterfall and said:

How can I secure externally beaded double glazed windows so the beading
can't be removed and the window removed by burglars. Thanks for all
replies.

Superglue is the only option.

Ziggur April 16th 05 05:15 PM

In article ,
says...

Superglue is the only option.

Rubbish.

Glazing tape works well. It can be retro-fitted but the point that Andrew
makes about thickness is valid. Using tape will decrease the space
available for the sealed unit and so it might be necessary to use new
glazing beads as well. A friendly local window fabricator will supply and
advise.

--
Ziggur

"S'ils te mordent, mords-les"

Lobster April 18th 05 11:38 PM

Ziggur wrote:
In article ,
says...

Superglue is the only option.

Rubbish.

Glazing tape works well. It can be retro-fitted but the point that
Andrew makes about thickness is valid. Using tape will decrease the
space available for the sealed unit and so it might be necessary to
use new glazing beads as well. A friendly local window fabricator
will supply and advise.

Well, for a start the OP never advised whether he's talking about
timber DG windows, which typically have wooden beading nailed around the
outside - very easily removed by a tealeaf, and well-suited to the
glazing tape solution - or uPVC stuff. If the latter, then the uPVC
beading profile is highly dependent on the brand of the window, and if
the local chappie doesn'ty do that brand the OP will be stuffed. I once
had to try to source replacement uPVC beading for some relatively new
Rehau windows but drew a total blank after the profile design had been
changed.

David