DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   earth bonding (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/10283-earth-bonding.html)

bill July 24th 04 07:52 PM

earth bonding

I have just installed a cloackroom sink and loo. I know the sink has to be
fitted with earth bonding, but don't know what size the cable should be.
Also, as I can't run a return to the consumer unit very easily, is there any
other way of ensuring an acceptable earth?
Many thanks.

Christian McArdle July 24th 04 11:33 PM

earth bonding

I have just installed a cloackroom sink and loo. I know the sink has to be
fitted with earth bonding, but don't know what size the cable should be.

You do not need to install supplementary bonding in a room containing only a
sink and toilet. There is no need for any electrical work whatsoever in such
a room beyond a light fitting, which requires no special consideration.

Christian.

Christian McArdle July 25th 04 11:13 AM

earth bonding

Thanks for that. What about if I were to add a shower at some point?

Then it will need supplementary bonding when that happens.

Christian.

John Smith July 25th 04 02:32 PM

earth bonding

Christian McArdle wrote:

Thanks for that. What about if I were to add a shower at some point?

Then it will need supplementary bonding when that happens.

Christian.

That is very interesting Christian, I thought my bathroom needed
supplementary bonding and was surprised when I moved in that it had
none. But I have a shower supplied from a multi-piont water heater, i.e.
non-electric. No other electrics in the bathroom apart from the lights.

So I don't need any supplementary bonding? Correct?

This NG is great! So many knowledgeable people!

John

Christian McArdle July 25th 04 11:12 PM

earth bonding

But I have a shower supplied from a multi-piont water heater, i.e.
non-electric. No other electrics in the bathroom apart from the lights.

So I don't need any supplementary bonding? Correct?

Yes you would need it. It isn't about being an electric shower, it is about
the room having any shower or bath installed, as it means the user of the
room is likely to be naked and wet.

The only reason you wouldn't need it is because you have entirely plastic
pipework in the room.

Christian.