DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Gloss paint problem (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/102596-gloss-paint-problem.html)

Broadback April 13th 05 08:46 AM

Gloss paint problem

For the first time I have a problem with gloss paint. Also for the
first time I had a door dipped. I then filled where necessary, knotted,
primed, undercoated and then glossed, looked good. Now however a few
weeks later the panels in the door (it is a 1930 ish door) have
developed a fine craze in the gloss finish, any ideas of the cause?
Also more importantly the cure?
TIA

Rob April 13th 05 10:18 AM

Hi

Did you wash down the door with a mixture of water and vinegar to neutralise
it?

rob

s--p--o--n--i--x April 13th 05 11:01 AM

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 08:46:44 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

For the first time I have a problem with gloss paint. Also for the
first time I had a door dipped. I then filled where necessary, knotted,
primed, undercoated and then glossed, looked good. Now however a few
weeks later the panels in the door (it is a 1930 ish door) have
developed a fine craze in the gloss finish, any ideas of the cause?
Also more importantly the cure?

Sounds like the surface of the wood absorbed some of the paint
stripper which is now finding its way out again.

Stuart Noble April 14th 05 11:45 AM

wrote:

For the first time I have a problem with gloss paint. Also for the
first time I had a door dipped. I then filled where necessary, knotted,
primed, undercoated and then glossed, looked good. Now however a few
weeks later the panels in the door (it is a 1930 ish door) have
developed a fine craze in the gloss finish, any ideas of the cause?
Also more importantly the cure?

Sounds like the surface of the wood absorbed some of the paint
stripper which is now finding its way out again.

Depends on the type of stripping. With Dip 'n Strip type chemicals the
volatile part of the stripper evaporates too quickly for that to happen
but
some of them have a wax/starch element that needs to be washed off with
water.
If it was caustic dipped, they normally pressure wash to get rid of any
alkaline residue.
Either way the surface should be more, rather than less, receptive to
paint.
The door was completely dry I assume. Caustic stripped doors can take
several days to dry out.