DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Car aerial problem (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/102397-car-aerial-problem.html)

GPG April 11th 05 05:23 PM

Car aerial problem

Oh bother. Recently, after a car wash, I pulled my telescopic aerial right
out - it was pretty corroded and unwilling to extend.

So, I pushed it back in. Well, it is clealy not as far back-in as it was,
because I can see that about 1cm of unweathered metal has not vanished into
the hole. Oddly, the radio still works with it in this state.

The question is this - will it go right in if I push hard enough? As a
secondary issue, would I be able to buy a new, uncorrodede, aerial, and push
that right in? Or am I just kidding myself? I suspect that I am.

--
GPG

Ian Stirling April 11th 05 06:29 PM

GPG wrote:
Oh bother. Recently, after a car wash, I pulled my telescopic aerial right
out - it was pretty corroded and unwilling to extend.

So, I pushed it back in. Well, it is clealy not as far back-in as it was,
because I can see that about 1cm of unweathered metal has not vanished into
the hole. Oddly, the radio still works with it in this state.

It's the bit that should prevent the thing from extending too much jamming
in the bottom of the hole, likely.

The question is this - will it go right in if I push hard enough? As a
secondary issue, would I be able to buy a new, uncorrodede, aerial, and push
that right in? Or am I just kidding myself? I suspect that I am.

No, you can't, you need to replace it from the underside.

Dave Plowman (News) April 11th 05 06:40 PM

In article ,
GPG wrote:
The question is this - will it go right in if I push hard enough? As a
secondary issue, would I be able to buy a new, uncorrodede, aerial, and
push that right in? Or am I just kidding myself? I suspect that I am.

You'd normally have to buy the complete item. If identical, you *may* be
able to swap bits around to avoid having to use the new downlead. But in
any eventuality, you'll need access to under the wing or wherever.

In future, give the aerial a wipe with a tissue etc before closing it.
They're normally stainless steel so don't corrode. It's the muck that jams
them.

--

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

The Natural Philosopher April 12th 05 07:44 PM

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
GPG wrote:

The question is this - will it go right in if I push hard enough? As a
secondary issue, would I be able to buy a new, uncorrodede, aerial, and
push that right in? Or am I just kidding myself? I suspect that I am.

You'd normally have to buy the complete item. If identical, you *may* be
able to swap bits around to avoid having to use the new downlead. But in
any eventuality, you'll need access to under the wing or wherever.

In future, give the aerial a wipe with a tissue etc before closing it.
They're normally stainless steel so don't corrode. It's the muck that jams
them.

Or the supercooled ice as I discovered driving along an auotopbahn in
freezing foggy weather.

Came out with about 1/4" of ice on it.