DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Stuck drain cock on DHW (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/10131-stuck-drain-cock-dhw.html)

mike ring July 18th 04 08:01 PM

Stuck drain cock on DHW

I just tentatively had a go at the drain cock, mainy to test my booster
pump in the inverted position - unpressurised water is hard to find in me
hovel - and found it's jammed fast, as far as I can see with a mirror the
suare bit is rounded, and I can't really get to it because it's 1/2" from a
side wall on about half a ton of brassware left over from the war.

That's a great start to the project.

My only thought is perhaps I can siphon out with a hose in the top after
I've drained the loft tank.

I don't want 114 litres of water over me floors, anyone help me on
minimising the flood?

mike

raden July 18th 04 09:44 PM

Stuck drain cock on DHW

In message 0, mike
ring writes
I just tentatively had a go at the drain cock, mainy to test my booster
pump in the inverted position - unpressurised water is hard to find in me
hovel - and found it's jammed fast, as far as I can see with a mirror the
suare bit is rounded, and I can't really get to it because it's 1/2" from a
side wall on about half a ton of brassware left over from the war.

That's a great start to the project.

My only thought is perhaps I can siphon out with a hose in the top after
I've drained the loft tank.

I don't want 114 litres of water over me floors, anyone help me on
minimising the flood?

The traditional DIY way of emptying your system is by accidentally
drilling through a pipe

can't you got some mole grips on it ?

--
geoff

mike ring July 18th 04 10:43 PM

Stuck drain cock on DHW

raden wrote in :

The traditional DIY way of emptying your system is by accidentally
drilling through a pipe

I'd rather empty it into the garden

can't you got some mole grips on it ?

I havent got any - I'll see if I can borrow some, but I've got some pretty
good force on it with a small wrench before it started slipping off and
it's _very_ tight

mike

IMM July 18th 04 11:01 PM

Stuck drain cock on DHW

"mike ring" wrote in message
52.50...
I just tentatively had a go at the drain cock, mainy to test my booster
pump in the inverted position - unpressurised water is hard to find in me
hovel - and found it's jammed fast, as far as I can see with a mirror the
suare bit is rounded, and I can't really get to it because it's 1/2" from

side wall on about half a ton of brassware left over from the war.

That's a great start to the project.

My only thought is perhaps I can siphon out with a hose in the top after
I've drained the loft tank.

I don't want 114 litres of water over me floors, anyone help me on
minimising the flood?

Unscrew the hor draw-off pipe at the top of the cylinder. Insert a 15mm
copper pipe that reaches the bottom. Have a hose pipe clipped to the copper
pipe. Now suck and siphon the water out.

Christian McArdle July 19th 04 12:11 AM

Stuck drain cock on DHW

I havent got any - I'll see if I can borrow some, but I've got some pretty
good force on it with a small wrench before it started slipping off and
it's _very_ tight

If you are that desperate, try one of those washing machine taps with the
punch hole style fittings. You can attach a long hose to those with the
right bits.

Christian.

raden July 19th 04 01:50 AM

Stuck drain cock on DHW

In message , mike
ring writes
raden wrote in :

The traditional DIY way of emptying your system is by accidentally
drilling through a pipe

I'd rather empty it into the garden

can't you got some mole grips on it ?

I havent got any - I'll see if I can borrow some, but I've got some pretty
good force on it with a small wrench before it started slipping off and
it's _very_ tight

You could try applying some heat to it too - the bottom line is, like
England being 2-1 down with 2 minutes to play, you have nothing to lose,
although you might be successful

--
geoff

IMM July 19th 04 02:20 PM

Stuck drain cock on DHW

"raden" wrote in message
In message , mike
ring writes
raden wrote in :

The traditional DIY way of emptying your system is by accidentally
drilling through a pipe

I'd rather empty it into the garden

can't you got some mole grips on it ?

I havent got any - I'll see if I can borrow some, but I've got some

pretty
good force on it with a small wrench before it started slipping off and
it's _very_ tight

You could try applying some heat to it too - the bottom line is, like
England being 2-1 down with 2 minutes to play, you have nothing to lose,
although you might be successful

--
geoff

Maxie, it is nice to see you back. Did you have a great time getting your
rocks off? Fabulous.

mike ring July 19th 04 10:40 PM

Stuck drain cock on DHW

"Christian McArdle" wrote in
:

If you are that desperate, try one of those washing machine taps with
the punch hole style fittings. You can attach a long hose to those
with the right bits.

Do you mean the sort that clamp on to pipes? trouble is the only pipe is
22mm, and I think the pipe ines are 15mm.

Or is there a sort that will cut int the tank itself.

(I hope to siphon it out, but just in case I can't move the other
connections, though I guess I can cut the outlet pipe and stuff a hose
in... I need to cover all me bases)

mike

mike ring July 20th 04 07:41 PM

Stuck drain cock on DHW

mike ring wrote in
52.50:

Thanks to all contributors - I never managed to unscrew it, but got the H/W
pipe off and siphoned it out through the hole.

When I got the tank out I found the drain cock had the squarw bit buried
about halfway int the body, and the bit left poking out well rounded, so I
was never in with much of a chance.

Bit of easy C/H pipework improving to do, then more queries as I put the
new cylinder in....

mike