John Keiser

Default Perplexing CD Player Problem

I have a 14 year old Technics SL-PG100 which has given good service. Just
lately, when I try to play a CD the player notes the number of tracks and
but is unable to start on track 1. Usually it will start if I skip to a
later track. It then plays fine and will cycle through track 1 on repeat.
These home-made CDs played fine a month ago. Bought CDs seem more relaible.

I opened the case and everything "looked" fine. No dust. Lens shiney. I
manually cleaned the lens [with a photo camera lens kit] but problems
persists.

Diode power fading? Other guess?

Is there a likely "simple" tweak that might fix this?

Thank you.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Mark D. Zacharias

I find lots of these types of problems are solved with routine maintenance -
cleaning, lubing the parts involved, etc. Specifically, I would lube the
shaft of the spindle motor, and clean and relube the sliding surfaces or
wormscrew. If it uses a wormscrew there may be a belt that needs changing -
but these haven't been used in about 15 years or so. Don't mess with any
adjustments - this would most likely compensate (poorly) for whatever is
really wrong. The only exception would be the focus offset adjustment, and
only then if you have a 'scope to observe the waveform.

Mark Z.

"John Keiser" wrote in message
I have a 14 year old Technics SL-PG100 which has given good service. Just
lately, when I try to play a CD the player notes the number of tracks and
but is unable to start on track 1. Usually it will start if I skip to a
later track. It then plays fine and will cycle through track 1 on repeat.
These home-made CDs played fine a month ago. Bought CDs seem more
relaible.

I opened the case and everything "looked" fine. No dust. Lens shiney. I
manually cleaned the lens [with a photo camera lens kit] but problems
persists.

Diode power fading? Other guess?

Is there a likely "simple" tweak that might fix this?

Thank you.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

John Keiser

Thanks. I don't have a 'scope but I'll try a conservative bit of lube and
see if it clears things.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Peter Lehmann

John Keiser wrote:
Thanks. I don't have a 'scope but I'll try a conservative bit of lube and
see if it clears things.

Hi John,
as far as I know Matsu****a/Technics uses Philips CD-drives.
At that time that were drives with a tonearm guide for the optical unit.
So, there ist nothing to lube. And bad news, the tonearm drives are not
longer available for spare parts :-(

73
Peter
True american Zero

Try a bought CD ! See what it tells !

Cheers

William R. Walsh

Hi!

Try reseating all the cables in the unit. I have a Technics SL-P101 which I
assume to be similar to your unit. It was exhibiting the same exact problem
until I pulled and then reseated all the cables going to the "drive"
assembly.

The player has been rock solid ever since.

William