Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Ben Jackson

Default Kink in 4x6 bandsaw blade

When I run my 4x6 bandsaw there is a distinct moment on each rotation
of the blade where there's a "whump" sound and the saw bounces slightly.
On the face of a thin cut (where the saw is moving through the stock
fast enough) you can see these points as gashes in the face of the metal.

The blade doesn't look any different as it passes over the stock at that
point (there's no weld, and it's not missing teeth). The only difference
I see is that if I watch the blade before it enters the guides I see a
slight inward twist that seems to correspond to the whump. The twist
seems to be removed by the guides. I have the tension as tight as I can
get it by hand.

Was this caused by leaving the bandsaw tensioned between uses? Can I
fix that kink? Should I just toss the blade (hate to, since it's
relatively unused).

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/