someone

Default NIC problem, cat 5 cable solution?

We have a Dell laptop Inspirion 1150 ~ 6 months old. Dell provided a
warranty replacement of the NIC last week as a cat 5 cable would no longer
make
a consistent connection (troubleshooting to verify the problem removed
here).

I have been searching for a cat 5 cable perhaps 6" in length to connect the
laptop to the network. By using the cable hopefully the wear would
be on a disposable cable and not on the NIC of the laptop.

Wireless is not a solution as the work location for the laptop is on a wired
network.

Dell suggested a $90 PCMIA solution.

I know I could buy a crimper and make the cable myself, but I suspect the
cable should be available to order. (but so far I have not found a
supplier).

Is this type of cable available? URL for a supplier appreciated.

NSM

"someone" wrote in message
| We have a Dell laptop Inspirion 1150 ~ 6 months old. Dell provided a
| warranty replacement of the NIC last week as a cat 5 cable would no longer
| make
| a consistent connection (troubleshooting to verify the problem removed
| here).
|
| I have been searching for a cat 5 cable perhaps 6" in length to connect
the
| laptop to the network. By using the cable hopefully the wear would
| be on a disposable cable and not on the NIC of the laptop.
|
| Wireless is not a solution as the work location for the laptop is on a
wired
| network.
|
| Dell suggested a $90 PCMIA solution.
|
| I know I could buy a crimper and make the cable myself, but I suspect the
| cable should be available to order. (but so far I have not found a
| supplier).
|
| Is this type of cable available? URL for a supplier appreciated.

Many small dealers can make up whatever you want. Make sure the whole cable
is at least 6 feet long overall, as this is minimum for the network to work
AFAIK: "There is a minimum length defined only for 100BaseT Ethernet
networks (which is 2.5 meters)".

CJT

someone wrote:
[...]

FWIW, I've bought short cables like that at Altex.

I deal with them locally, but they have a web site -- www.altex.com

BOB URZ

someone wrote:

[...]

Try a usb external NIC. Then the only wear point is the USB jack.

Bob

William R. Walsh

Hi!

Cables Unlimited carries these very short cables. I use them to connect
switches to one another.

Their website is at http://www.cablesun.com/, but if memory serves you need
to find someone who deals in their products.

William

someone

"CJT" wrote in message
someone wrote:
[...]

They have the cable we require. Thank you.

John Keiser

$1.35 he

http://www.compgeeks.com/products.as...twork%20Cables

But shipping is more than the cable. You should be able to find locally.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Allodoxaphobia

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 19:28:43 GMT, NSM wrote:

Many small dealers can make up whatever you want. Make sure the whole cable
is at least 6 feet long overall, as this is minimum for the network to work
AFAIK: "There is a minimum length defined only for 100BaseT Ethernet
networks (which is 2.5 meters)".

Interesting.... Since most xDSL modem/router/switch/hub kits come with
at least one chintzy 2-footer, in my experience. And, even at 100MBS,
they seem to work "OK" -- for most definitions of "OK".

Interesting.
Dinna kno dat.

Jonesy
--
| Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
| Gunnison, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | OS/2 __
| 7,703' -- 2,345m | config.com | DM68mn SK
NSM

"John Keiser" wrote in message
| $1.35 he
|
| http://www.compgeeks.com/products.as...twork%20Cables
|
| But shipping is more than the cable. You should be able to find locally.

I bought 6 at the local dollar store. There's another Dollar Plus store here
that has various lengths for small prices.