Greg Dermer

Default Glassblowing torch design?

I'm interested in experimenting a bit with "scientific glassblowing". The
glass in question is Pyrex. I've made a start with an oxyacetylene torch
equipped with a heating tip and the whole clamped in a vise. It works, but
it would be fun to have a "real" burner with independent controls for inner
and outer flames, surface mixing and other bells & whistles. What would
*not* be fun would be parting with the money to buy one. A Bethlehem Great
White, for example, goes for something over $2000 new.

Anyone tried making a glassworker's bench burner?

-- Greg

Randy Replogle

"Greg Dermer" wrote in message
I'm interested in experimenting a bit with "scientific glassblowing". The
glass in question is Pyrex. I've made a start with an oxyacetylene torch
equipped with a heating tip and the whole clamped in a vise. It works,
but
it would be fun to have a "real" burner with independent controls for
inner
and outer flames, surface mixing and other bells & whistles. What would
*not* be fun would be parting with the money to buy one. A Bethlehem
Great
White, for example, goes for something over $2000 new.

Anyone tried making a glassworker's bench burner?

-- Greg

I can't remember for sure but I think glassblowers use propane with oxygen
or just plain air. It's definitely not acetylene. I think it's because
acetylene adds carbon and/or other impurities to the glass.
Randy

Dave Garnett

"Creative Glass blowing" by Hammesfahr and Stong is an interesting read.
They basically say 'buy it', which considering the Amateur Scientist
background is a pretty strong hint.

"Greg Dermer" wrote in message
I'm interested in experimenting a bit with "scientific glassblowing". The
glass in question is Pyrex. I've made a start with an oxyacetylene torch
equipped with a heating tip and the whole clamped in a vise. It works,
but
it would be fun to have a "real" burner with independent controls for
inner
and outer flames, surface mixing and other bells & whistles. What would
*not* be fun would be parting with the money to buy one. A Bethlehem
Great
White, for example, goes for something over $2000 new.

Anyone tried making a glassworker's bench burner?

-- Greg

Posted Via Nuthinbutnews.Com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
http://www.nuthinbutnews.com
Glenn Ashmore

You need Propane/Oxygen for glass work. Just starting out you can get a new
Nortel Major for about $400 that will be 90% of what you need but glass
fires come up regularly on eBay. . There is a Major on eBay right now for
$150 and a really nice Sargent Welch for $230.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Greg Dermer" wrote in message
I'm interested in experimenting a bit with "scientific glassblowing". The
glass in question is Pyrex. I've made a start with an oxyacetylene torch
equipped with a heating tip and the whole clamped in a vise. It works,

but
it would be fun to have a "real" burner with independent controls for

inner
and outer flames, surface mixing and other bells & whistles. What would
*not* be fun would be parting with the money to buy one. A Bethlehem

Great
White, for example, goes for something over $2000 new.

Anyone tried making a glassworker's bench burner?

-- Greg

JAMES RISER

Greg;
Use propane with oxygen for pyrex or kimax glasses. The professional
burners are made with a brass (or stainless steel) outer shell. Inside this
shell is a number of stainless steel heavy walled tubes silver soldered
around a central burner. The central burner is used for most work. The
outer flame (combined with the inner flame) is good for large items,
bending, or flame annealing. There is a safety factor involved here - a big
one. I would suggest buying a used torch. A National #3 handtorch or a
Carlisle handtorch will work for most items. I have an antique torch that I
am planning to put on ebay in a week or so. You may see it at:
http://www.JamesRiser.com/EbayImages/glasstorch.JPG

I am not longer blowing glass and have been selling off most of my
glassworking tools. This antique is the last torch I'm selling. The others
were all rather big and expensive newer styles like a CC, Sargent, and
unusual Cenco. I was talking with a friend a couple weeks ago and he told
me a friend of his had developed a new style of torch; but I'm not certain
if he is mass marketing them.
Jim

--
James P. Riser
Http://www.JamesRiser.com
"Greg Dermer" wrote in message
I'm interested in experimenting a bit with "scientific glassblowing". The
glass in question is Pyrex. I've made a start with an oxyacetylene torch
equipped with a heating tip and the whole clamped in a vise. It works,
but
it would be fun to have a "real" burner with independent controls for
inner
and outer flames, surface mixing and other bells & whistles. What would
*not* be fun would be parting with the money to buy one. A Bethlehem
Great
White, for example, goes for something over $2000 new.

Anyone tried making a glassworker's bench burner?

-- Greg

hmHAT

There are some excellent glass people on rec.crafts.glass.. One of them, at
least, is a published author on hot glass works, so you might get some
valuable advice there.

good luck

Eddie Munster

Mayne Island Glass Foundry sells a video on the
construction of homemade burners. I can't vouch for
the content but it looks like it might be just
the ticket...

http://www.mayneislandglass.com/torchvideo.htm
- - -

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 17:55:36 -0800, "Greg Dermer"
wrote:

I'm interested in experimenting a bit with "scientific glassblowing". The
glass in question is Pyrex. I've made a start with an oxyacetylene torch
equipped with a heating tip and the whole clamped in a vise. It works, but
it would be fun to have a "real" burner with independent controls for inner
and outer flames, surface mixing and other bells & whistles. What would
*not* be fun would be parting with the money to buy one. A Bethlehem Great
White, for example, goes for something over $2000 new.

Anyone tried making a glassworker's bench burner?

-- Greg

Bugs

Many years ago I built a 6 burner glass torch from stock burner heads
and brass pipe. It worked great. Somewhere I have a good book on
scientific glass blowing, If I can find it I'll give you the title.
Bugs

Joe

I have the book, "Creative Glassblowing" (IIRC) by James Hammesfahr &
Clair Stong. It has been out of print for a few years, and was mainly
about scientific glassblowing (which is why I kinda doubt my recollection
of the title). It did include details of building burners using small
gears and metal tubing. However, I don't think it gave details of
building a 6-burner torch, unless it was a crossfire.

Sure is easier to buy the burners already made. Unless you just like the
challenge.

Joe