Deke

Default Tascam DA-30

Has quit working. Acts like its recording normally, then on playback, no
audio, no meter movement.
Heads have been cleaned.
Suggestions?

Dennis

--
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
magic."

Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - ), "Technology and the Future"

Deke

First cleaned with Chemtronics head cleaner, didnt work, no audio. Dug out
the big guns, lighter fluid and chamois swabs, gave it a good scrub, than
Chemtronics again to remove residue, and audio returned. On further
investigation, there is some sort of sensor error that occurs occasionally
that allows the machine to remain in rewind mode at the end of the tape.
This allowed the heads to grind away on a non-moving tape, hence the clog.
Why it does this is unknown to me.

Dennis

"Deke" wrote in message
Has quit working. Acts like its recording normally, then on playback,

no
audio, no meter movement.
Heads have been cleaned.
Suggestions?

Dennis

--
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
magic."

Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - ), "Technology and the Future"

Gareth Magennis

Hi, unfortunately I don't have my service manual any more. There is indeed
an optical end of tape sensor and I think I'm right in saying there is a
preset that adjusts its operation. The service manual describes how to
perform the adjustment. It could be the preset visible just to the right of
the mechanism (if you are looking down with the front facing you). But I
could be thinking of a different model. Sorry, that's the best I can do.

Gareth.

"Deke" wrote in message
Has quit working. Acts like its recording normally, then on playback,

no
audio, no meter movement.
Heads have been cleaned.
Suggestions?

Dennis

--
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
magic."

Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - ), "Technology and the Future"

Mark D. Zacharias

"Deke" wrote in message
First cleaned with Chemtronics head cleaner, didnt work, no audio. Dug

out
the big guns, lighter fluid and chamois swabs, gave it a good scrub, than
Chemtronics again to remove residue, and audio returned. On further
investigation, there is some sort of sensor error that occurs
occasionally
that allows the machine to remain in rewind mode at the end of the tape.
This allowed the heads to grind away on a non-moving tape, hence the
clog.
Why it does this is unknown to me.

The DA-30 has a mode-switch buried in the underneath side of the mechanism.
Not for the faint-hearted.

Mark Z.

Deke

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message

(snip)

The DA-30 has a mode-switch buried in the underneath side of the

mechanism.
Not for the faint-hearted.

Mark Z.

When I first discovered the error, the mode switch was the first thing I
went looking for. Found it.
Evidently driven by its own motor, which gives me a headache just thinking
about it. May give it a squirt of Channel Master Shield and see what
happens. While its playing normally again, its totally unreliable at this
point due to the occasional error. My other option is to look for another
DAT recorder on ebay.
Anybody out there with a service manual they want to sell?

Dennis