Jim Adney

Default How to ID electronic components?

On a regular basis I hear people mentioning a number they get off the
back of some electronic device that apparently identifies the actual
maker of that device. Usually this is spoken of as if it is something
that everyone knows about, but I'm gonna just plead ignorance and ask
the stupid questions:

What is this number called?

Which number is it?

Where do I find the cross reference that tells me which manufacturer
goes with which number?

When was this ID system first used?

thanks,

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
Asimov

"Jim Adney" bravely wrote to "All" (22 Aug 04 21:33:25)
--- on the heady topic of "How to ID electronic components?"

JA From: Jim Adney

JA On a regular basis I hear people mentioning a number they get off the
JA back of some electronic device that apparently identifies the actual
JA maker of that device. Usually this is spoken of as if it is something
JA that everyone knows about, but I'm gonna just plead ignorance and ask
JA the stupid questions:

JA What is this number called?

JA Which number is it?

JA Where do I find the cross reference that tells me which manufacturer
JA goes with which number?

JA When was this ID system first used?

JA thanks,

There is no name for this number other than "Manufacturer's ID #" or
"Part #". It often takes the form of a unique symbol or logo,
identifying the manufacturer, and accompanied by a series of numbers.
Sometimes this number information is published in a Manufacturer's
manual or parts catalog and sometimes it is a private number assigned
by the customer. This is the case for example with old Zenith or IBM
parts which are labled with their own or "House numbers". It may in
fact be a standard part # but it is often relatively difficult to find
out. Sometimes one can consult the parts list to cross reference the
"house #" with the manufacturer's part #.

Some part numbers are standardized by manufacturing associations such
as JEDEC, EIA, etc, i.e. 2SC, 1N, 2N, BC, BF, prefixes. In addition to
the part # one will often find a date code. This often has a form
YYWW, year/week, for example a code 9711 would indicate the device was
made in the year 1997 in the 11'th week. Similarly one will find a lot
number which identifies a batch made that week. There may be other
codes but are often related to internal quality sorting and testing or
totally meaningless except to the maker.

BTW, Jim, why the trolling? ;-)

A+s+i+m+o+v

.... 'Keep the smoke inside.' -- 1st Rule of Electronics.

Isildur's Bane

Damn you better start googling!

-IB

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 21:33:25 -0500, Jim Adney
wrote:

On a regular basis I hear people mentioning a number they get off the
back of some electronic device that apparently identifies the actual
maker of that device. Usually this is spoken of as if it is something
that everyone knows about, but I'm gonna just plead ignorance and ask
the stupid questions:

What is this number called?

Which number is it?

Where do I find the cross reference that tells me which manufacturer
goes with which number?

When was this ID system first used?

thanks,

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA

Dave

wrote:

On a regular basis I hear people mentioning a number they get off the
back of some electronic device that apparently identifies the actual
maker of that device. Usually this is spoken of as if it is something
that everyone knows about, but I'm gonna just plead ignorance and ask
the stupid questions:

What is this number called?

Which number is it?

Where do I find the cross reference that tells me which manufacturer
goes with which number?

When was this ID system first used?

thanks,

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA

Are you refering to the FCC ID (Federal Communications Comission)
found on the back of some electronic products? The first three
characters of the FCC ID identify the manufacture of the equipment.
The number, if one exists, is clearly labeled FCC ID.

For example, on the bottom of my cordless mouse there is a label FCC
ID DZL201385, The back of my computer monitor has a label FCC ID
AK8GDM400PS.

Two Televisions, a digital camera, a cable modem, a USB hub and an
oscilloscope I have nearby have no FCC ID labels. I'm not sure of the
requirements for having an FCC ID on a product.

If you have an FCC ID number you can find some very basic information
about the equipment, including who manufactured it, he

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/c...ericSearch.cfm

Dave