GTO69RA4

Default Making a small, thick top for some lathe legs?

I spent this afternoon talking with an old machinist fellow I know. Not only
did this produce a mosty-complete set of changegears (so I can cut metric on my
QC Atlas), but also two very, very (oof, must be close to 100 pounds each)
heavy cast iron lathe legs. Apparently from an FE Reed 10-12" model from the
'20s or '30s. All free, too. Looks like just the trick for replacing the
scrapwood bench my baby came with.

Anyway, these new legs are about 5" too short and maybe twice as wide as the
Atlas bed. So I need to make some kind of strong, rigid benchtop. Off the top
of my head, I'm thinking of laminating four 2x12s and through-bolting them
together. Then Mr. Atlas bolts on top.

Any other plans you folks might use? Mammoth slabs of steel, I-beams, and maybe
12" box tube are out for a variety of reasons.

Hmm, anyone want to swap some Atlas legs for big Reeds?

GTO(John)
RoyJ

I've made several bench tops and machine bases out of laminated 2x4's
Trim off one edge in the table saw to get sharp corners. Drill some 1/2"
holes every 12" to 18" in the wide face. Lots of yellow carpenter glue
and some 3/8" threaded rod to clamp it all togehter. Use a sanding disk
or belt sander to flatten the top after the glue dries. The resulting 3"
thick slab is fairly inexpensive, stable, rock solid, and lasts forever.
Make it any size you want.

GTO69RA4 wrote:
[...]

Grant Erwin

Scrounge some glue-lam in the size you want, cut it, lag bolt it down. If
it were me I'd add a layer of aluminum sheet or at least varnished masonite
above that. I like a setup where the lathe's headstock and tailstock are
up on little platforms so that you can then slide a big baking pan under
to catch chips, oil, etc.

Grant

GTO69RA4 wrote:
[...]

jim rozen

In article , GTO69RA4 says...

Any other plans you folks might use?

My first lathe (a 9" atlas) used two by (tens, I think) laid down
flat as the bench. They were tied together by a couple of
2x4s running front to back, underneath. The legs were inexpensive
sheet steel workbench legs lagged into place.

That was actually quite a reasonable bench for the machine. If
you have cast iron legs the thing would be a rock.

Jim

please reply to:
GTO69RA4

No, you don't.
The Altas bed is all you need. with riser blocks on each end.
FM

Given the size of the Atlas, I wouldn't feel very comfortable bolting on legs
that weigh almost as much as it does. Even the original iron legs Atlas sold in
their catalogs used a heavy maple board across the top.

GTO(John)
GTO69RA4

Thanks for the tips, guys. Seeing as how the wood top won't be supporting any
weight that isn't backed up, I'm going with a lighter approach. Plans so far
have a 2x12 on the bottom, two thicknesses of 2x12 on either end as spacers
(left hand spacers will extend out the back to support the countershaft), and a
2x12 on top. Everything through-bolted and glued, and bolted to the massive
legs. Maybe drawers to pull out from between the boards.

I know it won't be too pretty, but considering the weight of the lathe and
legs, should be plenty stable.

GTO(John)