John Ings

Default Whatever happened to cosmolene?

Reading the thread 'Wax as rust protector' got me wondering whatever
happened to cosmolene? It was THE thing during WW2 and afterward for
protecting weapons, aircraft parts etc for shipment and for long term
storage. I tried looking for it on the web and the closest thing I
found was a concoction made up by gun enthusiasts to replace it
because you apparently can't buy it anymore.
http://www.yarchive.net/gun/long_term_storage.html

Amsol sells a Heavy Duty Metal Protector
http://www.lubes-n-filters.com/synth...protector.html
That it advertises as being a modern replacement.

But I can remember a form of cosmolene in which parts to be put in
long term storage were dipped in a molten bath of stuff that formed a
1/2 inch thick plastic-like coating over them. It was about the color
and appearance of beeswax but not as soft. The stuff had a waxy, oily
feel to it and you could cut it open with a knife and peel it cleanly
off without having to wash the part in a solvent afterward. But maybe
that was only immediately after it had been put on? Did it tend to dry
out into something less easy to get off over time?

Any comments?

Machineman

LPS # 3 is also very similar. Maybe not quite as heavy as cosmoline but
good for keeping the rust off of clean parts or as a guard during the
damp seasons.

--
James P Crombie
Slemon Park, PEI

http://www.jamescrombie.com

Machineman

The strippable coatings is still used for protecting tools and machined
parts, I have used it for coating reground endmills etc.
See the following url http://www.dipseal.com/

John Ings wrote:

[...]

Charles A. Sherwood

Reading the thread 'Wax as rust protector' got me wondering whatever
happened to cosmolene?

I have bought spray cans of it from MSC.
It completely drys unlike LPS3.

Don Bruder

http://www.lubes-n-filters.com/synth...metal-protecto
r.html
That it advertises as being a modern replacement.

But I can remember a form of cosmolene in which parts to be put in
long term storage were dipped in a molten bath of stuff that formed a
1/2 inch thick plastic-like coating over them. It was about the color
and appearance of beeswax but not as soft. The stuff had a waxy, oily
feel to it and you could cut it open with a knife and peel it cleanly
off without having to wash the part in a solvent afterward. But maybe
that was only immediately after it had been put on? Did it tend to dry
out into something less easy to get off over time?

Any comments?

More likely, some "expert" found that it causes cancer in mice when
crammed up their backsides half a pound at a time.

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.

Greg

John Ings wrote:

Reading the thread 'Wax as rust protector' got me wondering whatever
happened to cosmolene?

It's still around....

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...il.aspx?p=1134

-G

Bill Marrs

"John Ings" wrote in message
Reading the thread 'Wax as rust protector' got me wondering whatever
happened to cosmolene? \

Cosmoline. Brownell's. 083-033-016 1 lb., 083-033-032 4 lb.

I've also used a product called "Fluid Film". Similar to Cosmoline. Comes
in a couple of viscosities,
depending on whether you want to spray or brush it on.

Bill

Richard J Kinch

John Ings writes:

Reading the thread 'Wax as rust protector' got me wondering whatever
happened to cosmolene?

There was a thread on this not too long ago, establishing that while the
term is used widely and imprecisely, the original military stuff was simply
petroleum grease.

Certainly the new tools you buy today often come wrapped in greasy paper.
Steve Steven

Cosmolene is still made, Brownells sells it. There are many many
versions of it, I have the government specification for it and there
are several varieties listed. I have three 5gallon cans of it in the
garage I bought Gov't surplus cheap, I was going to sell them to a guy
in California but UPS wouldn't ship them because it considered them
"hazardus material", I had to get a hazardus shipper to do it and he
wanted $120 each can, so the deal fell thru. I still have them, if
anyone wants them they are VERY cheap (read "FREE") if you want to
come to Virginia to get them!
Steve

(Charles A. Sherwood) wrote in message ...
Reading the thread 'Wax as rust protector' got me wondering whatever
happened to cosmolene?

I have bought spray cans of it from MSC.
It completely drys unlike LPS3.

Rich McCarty

For the traditionalists in the crowd, beeswax dissolved in turpentine
makes as excellent rust protectant. Apply with a brush and then give it a
day or two to dry.

http://www.lubes-n-filters.com/synth...y-metal-protec