Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What are these self tapping screws called that form "real" threads?

I'm looking for some screws for use in production work.

*Sick of tapping lots of M4 and M4 holes.
*Used for attaching small brackets and DIN rail etc.
*Fixing to to mild steel 3mm thick or to 1.6mm thick Zinc Anneal sheet.

I've seen screws like in the links below but am having trouble finding
them. When I look for self tapping screws I find the coarse thread type
rather than the defined M4x0.7 or M5x0.8 threads.

Is there a proper name for these screws:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92240200/Tapping%20Screw%20(1).JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92240200/Tapping%20Screw%20(2).JPG

Thanks.