Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Changing Coolant

I am getting ready to change from Kool Mist 77 to SC520 on one of my mills,
and I was wondering how critical is cleaning in between. I've vacuumed out
the coolant tank, and vacuumed up the enclosure. I am wondering now if a
wipe down with clean rags is good enough or if I need to soap and water
clean out the Kool Mist residue that is probably still on everything.

Bob La Londe
The Security Consultant

Licenses
ROC103044 & ROC103047

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

I am getting ready to change from Kool Mist 77 to SC520 on one of my
mills,
and I was wondering how critical is cleaning in between. I've vacuumed
out
the coolant tank, and vacuumed up the enclosure. I am wondering now if a
wipe down with clean rags is good enough or if I need to soap and water
clean out the Kool Mist residue that is probably still on everything.

Umm, we're not talking about open heart surgery here. This is coolant
and chips, contaminated with some way oil, too.

If the sump is REALLY nasty, you do want to scrub that out, or it
may cause stuff to grow in the new coolant. Otherwise, I would
highly doubt any small residue of the old coolant would spoil
the properties of the new coolant.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:

I am getting ready to change from Kool Mist 77 to SC520 on one of my
mills,
and I was wondering how critical is cleaning in between. I've vacuumed
out
the coolant tank, and vacuumed up the enclosure. I am wondering now if a
wipe down with clean rags is good enough or if I need to soap and water
clean out the Kool Mist residue that is probably still on everything.

Umm, we're not talking about open heart surgery here. This is coolant
and chips, contaminated with some way oil, too.

If the sump is REALLY nasty, you do want to scrub that out, or it
may cause stuff to grow in the new coolant. Otherwise, I would
highly doubt any small residue of the old coolant would spoil
the properties of the new coolant.

Jon

The sump had a lot of oil, but other wise was fine. I wiped it out with
paper shop towels and filled it up with 12 gallons of fresh distilled water.
Now to figure out what mixture I want to start with and stir it in.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I ran short on my coolant last winter. So, i mixed it 50:50 with some
old cool mist to get me by. Wasn't as much lubricity, but way better
than waiting five days for the next five gallon bucket.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 17:47:13 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote:

I am getting ready to change from Kool Mist 77 to SC520 on one of my
mills,
and I was wondering how critical is cleaning in between. I've vacuumed
out
the coolant tank, and vacuumed up the enclosure. I am wondering now if a
wipe down with clean rags is good enough or if I need to soap and water
clean out the Kool Mist residue that is probably still on everything.

Umm, we're not talking about open heart surgery here. This is coolant
and chips, contaminated with some way oil, too.

If the sump is REALLY nasty, you do want to scrub that out, or it
may cause stuff to grow in the new coolant. Otherwise, I would
highly doubt any small residue of the old coolant would spoil
the properties of the new coolant.

Jon

I agree.

Many of my clients change coolants with some regularity and they use
this proceedure

1. Drian sump
1A. Clean out chips,,,, or not.
2, Fill with new coolant