Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 'll be old enough

I have an 1936 vintage Kitchenaid stand mixer. This mixer is a real
workhorse and gets lots of use. Back in 2000 the grease needed to be
replaced. Upon opening the gearbox I could see that the old white
grease had dried out quite a bit. Anyway, I replaced the grease with
more white grease. Now, 14 years later the white grease I put in has
lost a lot of the oil and has turned into glue. The stuff won't even
wash out with solvents that usually work on grease. Anyway, I want to
grease this mixer just one more time and have it last at least twice
as long as the last greasing. If it does I'll be so old I won't care
if the grease dries up because I probably won't be grinding meat and
making bread. So, which grease is best for this application?
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 12:56:31 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Food grade grease is required as the mixers do loose a little down into
the bowl over time.

Vaseline perhaps? Once had the misfortune of working in a rubber shop
(baby bottle nipples...) the food grade grease for presses came in 20
gallon drums and was labeled "white petrolatum". Which is what Vaseline
is.
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

====================

http://www.amazon.com/Whirlpool-Kitc...AGF7S9978 JJ9

http://www.harborfreight.com/85-gram...dge-93744.html

http://www.belray.com/no-tox-food-grade-grease-ptfe

http://www.amazon.com/Grease-Food-Gr.../dp/B000E27D9K

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Why are people stuck on food-grade grease? How much does the thing spew
into the cookie dough?

I guess you haven't got both state and federal food inspectors
stopping by your place. One comes after the Dept. of Ag inspector
leaves. The other shows up right after the OSHA inspector fines me
again. At least I didn't get fined when the labor inspector who
showed up with the new worker protection standard. He only made me
train 14 year old strawberry pickers how to apply pesticides. But, my
favorite is still the water quality inspector. He has authority over
my privy - that's all - and spends three hours a year here checking it
out.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/23/2014 6:45 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:

Why are people stuck on food-grade grease? How much does the thing spew
into the cookie dough?

I guess you haven't got both state and federal food inspectors
stopping by your place. One comes after the Dept. of Ag inspector
leaves. The other shows up right after the OSHA inspector fines me
again. At least I didn't get fined when the labor inspector who
showed up with the new worker protection standard. He only made me
train 14 year old strawberry pickers how to apply pesticides. But, my
favorite is still the water quality inspector. He has authority over
my privy - that's all - and spends three hours a year here checking it
out.

Karl

Most people don't have to deal with the goberment every time they
fire-up the cookie dough machine. You're just blessed! OSHA fined me
for a non-industrial power strip that had a radio plugged into
it...belonged to the same guy that was rejected by one of the girls here
so he called OSHA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 21:12:06 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 10:31:00 -0700, wrote:

I have an 1936 vintage Kitchenaid stand mixer. This mixer is a real
workhorse and gets lots of use. Back in 2000 the grease needed to be
replaced. Upon opening the gearbox I could see that the old white
grease had dried out quite a bit. Anyway, I replaced the grease with
more white grease. Now, 14 years later the white grease I put in has
lost a lot of the oil and has turned into glue. The stuff won't even
wash out with solvents that usually work on grease. Anyway, I want to
grease this mixer just one more time and have it last at least twice
as long as the last greasing. If it does I'll be so old I won't care
if the grease dries up because I probably won't be grinding meat and
making bread. So, which grease is best for this application?

Which food-grade grease did Kitchenaid suggest you use when you called
them?

How about this? (no, I've never tried it)
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...-grade-grease/

I want a grease that will last as long as the first charge, which as
near as I can tell was 65 years. Kitchenaid is no help. They just say
to pull the machine apart to ckeck the grease. I did email Amsoil to
find out how long their grease will last. I also spoke with my local
Mobil grease supplier about this. So far nobody is willing to say how
long the grease will probably last. This is why I posted here.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 03:52:03 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 4/23/2014 12:12 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.
-- Carlos A. Urbizo

Why are people stuck on food-grade grease? How much does the thing spew
into the cookie dough?

VERY little - but rather safe than sorry - and the stuff is available,
at reasonable cost - and it works VERY well.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 11:04:46 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

fired this volley in
:

I want a grease that will last as long as the first charge, which as
near as I can tell was 65 years. Kitchenaid is no help. They just say
to pull the machine apart to ckeck the grease. I did email Amsoil to
find out how long their grease will last. I also spoke with my local
Mobil grease supplier about this. So far nobody is willing to say how
long the grease will probably last. This is why I posted here.
Eric

Sixty-five years ago, they probably didn't give a rat's ass about "food
grade" vs. regular petroleum/soap greases. Likely, they figured, "If
grease is leaking out onto your food, STOP USING IT, STUPID!"

(like they should now)

So they most likely selected the BEST grease, not the best 'food grade'
grease.

Lloyd

Or just the cheapest grease that would get it through warranty - - - -
..
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message ...
[...]

https://www.google.com/#q=nsf+grease
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Even though there is a drip ring around the planetary gear there is
another shaft that drips oil from the grease once in a while. I don't
want it in my food, it may make it taste bad. I'm pretty sure food
grade grease is made to be tasteless so that if it drips into the food
not only is there no safety issue there is no product rejected because
it tastes bad. When I go to all the trouble of making bread it should
taste excellent.
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 4:08:55 PM UTC-7, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
wrote in message ...

[...]

Please stop posting Google links to easy searches that invalidate these kind of moronic questions.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Even though there is a drip ring
around the planetary gear there
is another shaft that drips oil from
the grease once in a while.
Eric

Shouldn't there be a seal on this shaft?
I have worked on a similar heavy duty
mixer and it had a seal. Nothing came
through from the gearbox.
phil

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Gee, I dunno. Maybe something about it being specified by the company
and requarred by them revenuers. Of course, then there's the little
thing about it being a FOOD PROCESSOR, Tawm.

I'd rather my mixing bar wasn't made out of hexavalent chrome, too.
/stretch

Besides, toxic heavy metal additives in grease might not taste very
good, even in teensy quantities.

--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.
-- Carlos A. Urbizo
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 11:23:35 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

[...]

I hope he found a horse head in his bed soon thereafter.

--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.
-- Carlos A. Urbizo
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That's really strange. Maybe their farkin' lawyers are holding their
tongues. sigh

--
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/24/2014 12:04 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Forgive us our trespasses.... You live longer/better without
letting things bother you, besides karma's a bitch!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

[...]

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Please+stop+pos...+questions .+

In his defense, Eric lives in the middle of aerospace alley, been there done
that, probably just a spin of the dice that I happen to have kicked that
habit and have ended up doing a quite a bit of work in food-processing
arena, to spite a similar upbringing.

wink

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If any one has a good sharp linoleum knife...that can be arrainged.

--

"
I was once told by a “gun safety” advocate back in the Nineties

I began to give him a reasoned answer and he
cut me off with an abrupt, “Give me the short answer.”

I thought for a moment and said, “If you try to take our firearms we will kill you.”"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Food grade grease is required as the mixers do loose a little down
into the bowl over time.

Vaseline perhaps? Once had the misfortune of working in a rubber shop
(baby bottle nipples...) the food grade grease for presses came in 20
gallon drums and was labeled "white petrolatum". Which is what
Vaseline is.

You might be fascinated to learn that Amazon sells KY Jelly in 55 gallon
drums.

The user reviews are priceless.

http://www.amazon.com/Passion-Natura...cant+55+gallon

--

Reply in group, but if emailing, add a zero and remove the last word.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 11:25:50 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso" wrote:

William Bagwell wrote:
Vaseline perhaps? Once had the misfortune of working in a rubber shop
(baby bottle nipples...) the food grade grease for presses came in 20
gallon drums and was labeled "white petrolatum". Which is what
Vaseline is.

You might be fascinated to learn that Amazon sells KY Jelly in 55 gallon
drums.

The user reviews are priceless.

http://www.amazon.com/Passion-Natura...cant+55+gallon

LOL. "Why, by water pump gun, of course." is my favorite quote!
--
William