Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default wieght of Mazak M4

I need to know how much a Mazak M4 weighs:
http://www.usedmachineryauctions.com...achinery32/152

Anyway to know for sure? Or iggy, what do you think?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message ...
I need to know how much a Mazak M4 weighs:
http://www.usedmachineryauctions.com...achinery32/152

Anyway to know for sure? Or iggy, what do you think?

1) Engage brain

2) Call Mazak
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-03-10, Karl Townsend wrote:
I need to know how much a Mazak M4 weighs:
http://www.usedmachineryauctions.com...achinery32/152

Anyway to know for sure? Or iggy, what do you think?

Karl

i would say 11,500 lbs
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 16:09:26 -0500, Ignoramus25433

On 2014-03-10, Karl Townsend wrote:
I need to know how much a Mazak M4 weighs:
http://www.usedmachineryauctions.com...achinery32/152

Anyway to know for sure? Or iggy, what do you think?

Karl

i would say 11,500 lbs

I like your answer, not BQ340s. We have a 12,000 fork truck to unload.

I already own this lathe. My guess is we can get this broke one for
$1. But looks like $1500 to deliver. My son and I discussed it and
decided not to use my 24,000 lb. rated trailer. The truck weighs 8,
the trailer 5, the lathe 12 = 25,000. The wheels would take it and I'd
do it for a short haul. But this is a six plus hour run IF you went
60. More likely I'd do 35 on the way back. And be FUBAR if something
went wrong.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-03-10, Karl Townsend wrote:
I need to know how much a Mazak M4 weighs:
http://www.usedmachineryauctions.com...achinery32/152

Anyway to know for sure? Or iggy, what do you think?

Karl

i would say 11,500 lbs

I like your answer, not BQ340s. We have a 12,000 fork truck to unload.

I already own this lathe. My guess is we can get this broke one for
$1. But looks like $1500 to deliver. My son and I discussed it and
decided not to use my 24,000 lb. rated trailer. The truck weighs 8,
the trailer 5, the lathe 12 = 25,000. The wheels would take it and I'd
do it for a short haul. But this is a six plus hour run IF you went
60. More likely I'd do 35 on the way back. And be FUBAR if something
went wrong.

Karl

Remember to take into account the CG rating of the forklift. I believe
most are rated for CG 24" out on the forks and most big machines will
have the CG well past that even if they meet the total weight rating.
This is of course a tipping hazard unless you can hang more
counterweight on the back of the forklift.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-03-10, Karl Townsend wrote:
I need to know how much a Mazak M4 weighs:
http://www.usedmachineryauctions.com...achinery32/152

Anyway to know for sure? Or iggy, what do you think?

Karl

i would say 11,500 lbs

I like your answer, not BQ340s. We have a 12,000 fork truck to unload.

Add a counterweight to your fork truck if necessary.

I already own this lathe. My guess is we can get this broke one for
$1.

It has a $1,600 minimum scrap value. I guess it can easily go for
$400, considering loading fee and value of Fanuc boards and such.

But looks like $1500 to deliver. My son and I discussed it and
decided not to use my 24,000 lb. rated trailer. The truck weighs 8,
the trailer 5, the lathe 12 = 25,000. The wheels would take it and I'd
do it for a short haul. But this is a six plus hour run IF you went
60. More likely I'd do 35 on the way back. And be FUBAR if something
went wrong.

What truck do you have? If a 3/4 pickup, with trans cooler, you can probably go 45.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2014-03-10, Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

Tipping is not a big deal if you are smart about it. Just keep the
load close to the ground.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-03-10, Karl Townsend wrote:
I need to know how much a Mazak M4 weighs:
http://www.usedmachineryauctions.com...achinery32/152

Anyway to know for sure? Or iggy, what do you think?

i would say 11,500 lbs

I like your answer, not BQ340s. We have a 12,000 fork truck to unload.

In the arithmetic below, by "truck" do you mean a 12000-pound-capacity
fork lift, which you are going to take along on the trip for loading and
unloading? If that's the case, it might be better to rent a fork lift
at the other end, probably under $100 for a half-day rental. Renting
would get rid of the trailer capacity problem. Gas cost savings might
be noticeable too.

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 11:57:33 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I need to know how much a Mazak M4 weighs:
http://www.usedmachineryauctions.com...achinery32/152

Anyway to know for sure? Or iggy, what do you think?

https://www.mazakusa.com/

"M4" and "M4 weight" come up empty in the search, so you might call
and ask them, Karl.

Mazak Corporation Headquarters

8025 Production Drive
P.O. Box 970
Florence, KY 41042

Phone: (859) 342-1700

--
Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before
which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What truck do you have? If a 3/4 pickup, with trans cooler, you can probably
go 45.

One ton, Ford 350, with manual tranny. 460 gas. Passes everything but a gas
station.

I've had TROUBLE with huge loads. Going to pass on this one. its just too
far.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2014-03-10, Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

Another trick that helps if its right on the edge is to JUST use the lift
for lifting. Pull the trailer out from underneath, and lower the load after
the trailer is out of the way. Still if its not where you want it you have
to go from there. I've loaded and unloaded scissor lifts with dead
batteries that way.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-03-11, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Ignoramus25433" wrote in message
Remember to take into account the CG rating of the forklift. I believe
most are rated for CG 24" out on the forks and most big machines will
have the CG well past that even if they meet the total weight rating.
This is of course a tipping hazard unless you can hang more
counterweight on the back of the forklift.

Tipping is not a big deal if you are smart about it. Just keep the
load close to the ground.

Another trick that helps if its right on the edge is to JUST use the
lift for lifting. Pull the trailer out from underneath, and lower
the load after the trailer is out of the way. Still if its not
where you want it you have to go from there. I've loaded and
unloaded scissor lifts with dead batteries that way.

Yes, exactly. Tipping is a big danger mostly if you pull stuff out of
holes.

Plus you can have a spotter person looking at the rear of the forklift
to see if it starts to "play".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/10/2014 12:57, Karl Townsend wrote:
I need to know how much a Mazak M4 weighs:
http://www.usedmachineryauctions.com...achinery32/152

Anyway to know for sure? Or iggy, what do you think?

Karl

Gonna need two fork lifts. CG is going to be just to the right of the
chuck, and there are no lift points there, except the bed, which will
probably not hold the weight without severe stress.

--
Steve Walker
(remove brain when replying)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-03-11, Steve Walker wrote:
On 3/10/2014 12:57, Karl Townsend wrote:
I need to know how much a Mazak M4 weighs:
http://www.usedmachineryauctions.com...achinery32/152

Anyway to know for sure? Or iggy, what do you think?

Karl

Gonna need two fork lifts. CG is going to be just to the right of the
chuck, and there are no lift points there, except the bed, which will
probably not hold the weight without severe stress.

Lift it with chains, tied to chuck and a point on the bed.