Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default We're smart because we're constantly sniffing gears

I mean -- that is what cognoscenti means, yes?

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 26/02/2014 2:01 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
I mean -- that is what cognoscenti means, yes?

Sounds like a description of one of our current Western Australian
Government ministers;

http://www.news.com.au/national/chair-sniffer-was-in-mock-sexual-ecstasy/story-e6frfkp9-1111116260465
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
I mean -- that is what cognoscenti means, yes?

--
Tim Wescott

It's cog-NO-scenti, they don't understand without a written
explanation.
http://www.houseofthud.com/cartech/torsen1.gif

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 08:50:57 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
I mean -- that is what cognoscenti means, yes?

--
Tim Wescott

It's cog-NO-scenti, they don't understand without a written
explanation.
http://www.houseofthud.com/cartech/torsen1.gif

_Ooh_, in looking at the pic, that's just _wrong_!

Those small wormies are going the wrong direction. Rotate the left
hypoid 90 degrees CC and you'll see what I mean. It also appears to
have an interference fit between the straight-cut gears on the side
and the main shaft hypoid gear. The small hypoids are inset from the
straight-cuts too much and they're not wide enough to provide
clearance from the diameter of the large hypoid. And that's not to
mention the lack of support for all the little gearsets. Maybe they
got one of the artists who draw those liberal anti-gun ads to do this
toon. (They never pay attention to detail, either.)

--
Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before
which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
It's cog-NO-scenti, they don't understand without a written
explanation.
http://www.houseofthud.com/cartech/torsen1.gif

_Ooh_, in looking at the pic, that's just _wrong_!

Those small wormies are going the wrong direction. Rotate the left
hypoid 90 degrees CC and you'll see what I mean. It also appears to
have an interference fit between the straight-cut gears on the side
and the main shaft hypoid gear. The small hypoids are inset from
the
straight-cuts too much and they're not wide enough to provide
clearance from the diameter of the large hypoid. And that's not to
mention the lack of support for all the little gearsets. Maybe they
got one of the artists who draw those liberal anti-gun ads to do
this
toon. (They never pay attention to detail, either.)

Remember that the wormies' teeth tilt in the opposite direction on the
back side, matching the center pinion teeth.

I seriously doubt that the artist drew that from memory, without a
demonstration model. Try drawing a simple knot in twisted rope
correctly.

The first time I saw the Torsen in Popular Science, as a kid, I
couldn't wrap my brain around it. The second time, about 15 years ago
while sorting old boxes, the forces driving the gears popped into
place in my mental animation almost immediately.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I'm still at the stage where I just _know_ that it's a ball with a shaft
going in, two shafts coming out, and magic happening inside.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 10:31:39 -0500, Jim Wilkins wrote:

The first time I saw the Torsen in Popular Science, as a kid, I
couldn't
wrap my brain around it. The second time, about 15 years ago while
sorting old boxes, the forces driving the gears popped into place
in my
mental animation almost immediately.

I'm still at the stage where I just _know_ that it's a ball with a
shaft
going in, two shafts coming out, and magic happening inside.
Tim Wescott

I've known professors who could write the formulas and solve all the
forces on a bridge, but could NOT just look at it and see which
members were in tension or compression as I can.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

.. .
wrote:
[...]

Yabbut, look at the left vs the front left little hypoids. They're
reversed while on the same plane.

I seriously doubt that the artist drew that from memory, without a
demonstration model. Try drawing a simple knot in twisted rope
correctly.

No, not at all easy.

The first time I saw the Torsen in Popular Science, as a kid, I
couldn't wrap my brain around it. The second time, about 15 years ago
while sorting old boxes, the forces driving the gears popped into
place in my mental animation almost immediately.

Rats on a wheel run the little hypoid, right?