Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 1986 Catalina Capri 18 Sailboat - $4100 (Hudson)

1986 Catalina Capri 18 Sailboat - $4100 (Hudson)

This is a well cared for capri with original working sails with
covers, 6 hp evinrude ob with spare ob for parts, hand held vhf, and
heavy duty single axle shoreline galv. trailer.
Cabin has original cushions, port-poddy, ice chest and cabin lighting,
but no battery. There is a plethora of odds and ends all boaters need.
The boat has a fresh coat of bottom paint, loaded on the trailer and
ready to go. Clear title and current trailer registration.
$4100.00 obo no low ballers or tire kickers. payment in cash
preferred, Personal checks or bank money orders will be accepted, but
must clear my bank before pickup.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/boa/4335763983.html

--
"A "Liberal Paradise" would be a place where everybody has
guaranteed employment,free comprehensive healthcare,

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 09:59:25 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

1986 Catalina Capri 18 Sailboat - $4100 (Hudson)

Na, can't catch fish worth a dang with that. here's my dream:
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...Open-101832966

Of course SWMBO won't give me a pass for that much $.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

1986 Catalina Capri 18 Sailboat - $4100 (Hudson)

This is a well cared for capri with original working sails with
covers, 6 hp evinrude ob with spare ob for parts, hand held vhf, and
heavy duty single axle shoreline galv. trailer.
Cabin has original cushions, port-poddy, ice chest and cabin lighting,
but no battery. There is a plethora of odds and ends all boaters need.
The boat has a fresh coat of bottom paint, loaded on the trailer and
ready to go. Clear title and current trailer registration.
$4100.00 obo no low ballers or tire kickers. payment in cash
preferred, Personal checks or bank money orders will be accepted, but
must clear my bank before pickup.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/boa/4335763983.html

Gee Gunner, sounds like a real bargain.

Lets see... 2014 - 1986... "Original Sails" means 28 year old sails,
and possibly an equally old outboard, which even with another broken
motor to salvage parts from is not a bargain and antique cushions, ice
chest and lighting, doesn't sound like a bargain either.

(but I suppose that "No Battery" means one could put a 16 VDC setup in
it and than take it all out when it didn't work :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

1986 Catalina Capri 18 Sailboat - $4100 (Hudson)

Na, can't catch fish worth a dang with that. here's my dream:
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...Open-101832966

Of course SWMBO won't give me a pass for that much $.

How could they possibly ask that much for a rowboat like that?

A friend (recently deceased, darnit) bought a C-Dory for less ($37k
new, with lots of extras) and loved the hell out of it. It's only a
few feet shorter but gives you a lot more boat for the price, IMHO.
http://www.c-dory.com/boats/classic/cruiser-25/ specs
http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?ID=931 review

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

1986 Catalina Capri 18 Sailboat - $4100 (Hudson)

Na, can't catch fish worth a dang with that. here's my dream:
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...Open-101832966

Of course SWMBO won't give me a pass for that much $.

How could they possibly ask that much for a rowboat like that?

A friend (recently deceased, darnit) bought a C-Dory for less ($37k
new, with lots of extras) and loved the hell out of it. It's only a
few feet shorter but gives you a lot more boat for the price, IMHO.
http://www.c-dory.com/boats/classic/cruiser-25/ specs
http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?ID=931 review

Nope, I suppose we all get picky for our nice toys. I want an inboard
for FAR more stability at anchor in bumpy water and no motors to fish
around. Want the center console for plenty of room to fish four on a
27' boat.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

How so Inboard = more stability at anchor?
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

1986 Catalina Capri 18 Sailboat - $4100 (Hudson)

Na, can't catch fish worth a dang with that. here's my dream:
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...Open-101832966

Of course SWMBO won't give me a pass for that much $.

How could they possibly ask that much for a rowboat like that?

A friend (recently deceased, darnit) bought a C-Dory for less ($37k
new, with lots of extras) and loved the hell out of it. It's only a
few feet shorter but gives you a lot more boat for the price, IMHO.
http://www.c-dory.com/boats/classic/cruiser-25/ specs
http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?ID=931 review

Nope, I suppose we all get picky for our nice toys. I want an inboard
for FAR more stability at anchor in bumpy water and no motors to fish
around. Want the center console for plenty of room to fish four on a
27' boat.

I take it that it's a good-weather day-boat only?

--
Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I am armed.)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/19/2014 2:02 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:

How could they possibly ask that much for a rowboat like that?

A friend (recently deceased, darnit) bought a C-Dory for less ($37k
new, with lots of extras) and loved the hell out of it. It's only a
few feet shorter but gives you a lot more boat for the price, IMHO.
http://www.c-dory.com/boats/classic/cruiser-25/ specs
http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?ID=931 review

Nope, I suppose we all get picky for our nice toys. I want an inboard
for FAR more stability at anchor in bumpy water and no motors to fish
around. Want the center console for plenty of room to fish four on a
27' boat.

Karl

Well now, SOME of us do. Others not so much.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Oh yes. Those sails would be in about the same condition as a motor
that hasn't has the oil changes for 28 years...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nope, I suppose we all get picky for our nice toys. I want an inboard
for FAR more stability at anchor in bumpy water and no motors to fish
around. Want the center console for plenty of room to fish four on a
27' boat.

Karl

How so Inboard = more stability at anchor?

Lower center of gravity and farther forward. 1500 Lb. of engine in
bottom center of boat instead high behind it. means the boat doesn't
roll as much when hit by a wave.

Milady suffers from sea sickness. it is the difference between heading
in and staying out.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I take it that it's a good-weather day-boat only?

You're in for a wet ride home if the wind kicks up to 20. One of the
trade offs to be made. Alll boats have different strong features.

I'm buying a lottery ticket today. If my ship comes in, I'll be
getting a 40' twin diesel catamaran, 14' beam and pay a guy to keep it
ready to fish.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 11:19:44 -0600, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I take it that it's a good-weather day-boat only?

You're in for a wet ride home if the wind kicks up to 20. One of the
trade offs to be made. Alll boats have different strong features.

I'm buying a lottery ticket today. If my ship comes in, I'll be
getting a 40' twin diesel catamaran, 14' beam and pay a guy to keep it
ready to fish.

Karl

There are several free ones available

And a couple under $3k

"A "Liberal Paradise" would be a place where everybody has
guaranteed employment,free comprehensive healthcare,
free education, free food, free housing, free clothing,
free utilities, and only Law Enforcement has guns.
And believe it or not, such a place does indeed exist . . . It's called PRISON.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Odd that Ive just taken in a second (1974 )Ensenada 20 with original
sails that are in PERFECT condition. The hull looks like ****..but
only because it was parked under a tree for 35 yrs and never sailed

As for Real Bargains John...know a lot about sailboats eh? Can you
give us a short history of your sailboat ownership and usage?

And then can you give us a price history of the Catalina Capris?
Please do. They only made about 1500 of them..so your research will
prove beneficial.

Id love to see a pro;s experience on this subject.

While you are at it..can you give us the background on this particular
boat? Number of hours under sail, number of hours under power, etc
etc. Id love to see some data on this hull.

Gunner
Owned:
Thistle
Pearson Triton
Chryster Mutieneer
Thistle
Various power boats from 12' Sears Game Fisher through Boston Whaler
18

Currently owns
FJ
FJ
Force 5
Hobi 16
Venture 224
Ensenada 20
Ensenada 20

Power Squadron trained 1970, 1978, 1986
Active in Hobi 16 racing through the 1980s
Active in PHRF racing through the 1990s

--
"A "Liberal Paradise" would be a place where everybody has
guaranteed employment,free comprehensive healthcare,
free education, free food, free housing, free clothing,
free utilities, and only Law Enforcement has guns.
And believe it or not, such a place does indeed exist . . . It's called PRISON.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I take it that it's a good-weather day-boat only?

You're in for a wet ride home if the wind kicks up to 20. One of the
trade offs to be made. Alll boats have different strong features.

Or fewer strong features? Hot when sunny, windy all the time, cold
when overcast, wet when rainy, need I go on? Call me a wuss, but I
like a nice warm cabin to warm up in when I'm on the water and Mother
Nature isn't giving me perfect weather. Glad it's your boat.

I'm buying a lottery ticket today. If my ship comes in, I'll be
getting a 40' twin diesel catamaran, 14' beam and pay a guy to keep it
ready to fish.

There ya go!

--
Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I am armed.)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 11:15:49 -0600, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Nope, I suppose we all get picky for our nice toys. I want an inboard
for FAR more stability at anchor in bumpy water and no motors to fish
around. Want the center console for plenty of room to fish four on a
27' boat.

Karl

How so Inboard = more stability at anchor?

Lower center of gravity and farther forward. 1500 Lb. of engine in
bottom center of boat instead high behind it. means the boat doesn't
roll as much when hit by a wave.

Milady suffers from sea sickness. it is the difference between heading
in and staying out.

Whatever you do, -don't- show her my last missive to you a cabin.

--
Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I am armed.)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

When I sold the sail boat I included a set of sails that must have
been nearly that old. A set of orange "storm sails" that likely came
with the boat :-) Both the surveyor and the new owner noted them and
neither asked to unpack them for inspection.

Which, I thought, was some indication of the surveyor's competency :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Nope, I suppose we all get picky for our nice toys. I want an inboard
for FAR more stability at anchor in bumpy water and no motors to fish
around. Want the center console for plenty of room to fish four on a
27' boat.

Karl

How so Inboard = more stability at anchor?

Lower center of gravity and farther forward. 1500 Lb. of engine in
bottom center of boat instead high behind it. means the boat doesn't
roll as much when hit by a wave.

Milady suffers from sea sickness. it is the difference between heading
in and staying out.

Karl

Not to argue that in some cases more ballast is beneficial, I was
querying the "at anchor" as often times a sailboat with several tons
of ballast is quite "rolly" when anchored :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Sure, but just the highlights. I built my first boat, with
considerable some help from my father, in 1944. Sailed in Japan on a
friend's boat in the 1950's. Bought a 80 year old Friendship Sloop and
sailed the Maine coast... with no electrics and canvas sails, in the
1960's. In the 80's I was in Indonesia and sailed, again with a
friend, on a traditional sailing boat, than retired in the 1990's and
first bought a 36 ft. "cruiser racer" and than sold that and bought a
40 ft. sloop. Cruised Asia until 2005 and than sold that boat and
bought a twin engine "cruiser" which I own today.

And then can you give us a price history of the Catalina Capris?
Please do. They only made about 1500 of them..so your research will
prove beneficial.

The fact that Catalina made, and sold, a bunch of plastic toys to
people who knew very little about what they were buying is hardly
germane to the question.

[...]

Ever sail a boat out of sight of land?
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

O'Day 17 in Pensacola Bay.
It doesn't take long to lose the land from that close to the water!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That is certainly true.

Somewhere on the Web there is a picture of the Hungarian round the
world guy in his 6 M boat somewhere in the S. Pacific. Looks almost as
though he is sitting in the water.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I take it that it's a good-weather day-boat only?

You're in for a wet ride home if the wind kicks up to 20. One of the
trade offs to be made. Alll boats have different strong features.

Or fewer strong features? Hot when sunny, windy all the time, cold
when overcast, wet when rainy, need I go on? Call me a wuss, but I
like a nice warm cabin to warm up in when I'm on the water and Mother
Nature isn't giving me perfect weather. Glad it's your boat.

I'm buying a lottery ticket today. If my ship comes in, I'll be
getting a 40' twin diesel catamaran, 14' beam and pay a guy to keep it
ready to fish.

There ya go!

He's talking about Florida. Too much junk on a small boat gets in the
way of fishing. Although I'm not going offshore. I don't get sick,
never have, but my gal heaves mightily. Our probably last ever
offshore trip was at Coffs Harbor, Australia, on a big diesel
catamaran. It was a little rough, and about half the folks were
chumming for the rest of us.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I used to call my Tasar the sailing submarine. Wet ride hiked out,
but a lot of fun for a young guy.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John B." wrote in message

Ever sail a boat out of sight of land?

John B.

Does fog count?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Nope, I suppose we all get picky for our nice toys. I want an inboard
for FAR more stability at anchor in bumpy water and no motors to fish
around. Want the center console for plenty of room to fish four on a
27' boat.

Karl

How so Inboard = more stability at anchor?

Lower center of gravity and farther forward. 1500 Lb. of engine in
bottom center of boat instead high behind it. means the boat doesn't
roll as much when hit by a wave.

Milady suffers from sea sickness. it is the difference between heading
in and staying out.

Karl

Not to argue that in some cases more ballast is beneficial, I was
querying the "at anchor" as often times a sailboat with several tons
of ballast is quite "rolly" when anchored :-)

For sure there's more to it. We did the acid test, paid a charter
captain to take us out for a day. he didn't know it but the reason for
the charter was so milady could spend a day on the boat I want.

Next day we went out with friends on a typical outboard.
She was impressed with the difference.

The shamy is a fishing machine, every other criteria takes a secondary
consideration.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 07:40:57 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"John B." wrote in message
.. .

Ever sail a boat out of sight of land?

John B.

Does fog count?

I'm not sure, but I don't think it should. Otherwise one might be out
of sight of land in one's driveway :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"John wrote in message

Ever sail a boat out of sight of land?

John B.

Does fog count?

I'm not sure, but I don't think it should. Otherwise one might be out
of sight of land in one's driveway :-)

It counts in Galveston Bay.
The big guys are in the channel.
But where is the channel???
Nothing like floating blind and suddenly hearing a massive fog horn.

Truth be told, though, I dislike Galveston Bay.
There is so much oil equipment everywhere that you have to keep a
sharp eye on your position just to avoid a well head or something
else terribly hard.

As an aside...
In the 1950s the average depth of Galveston Bay was 4 feet.
Now it's 12 feet.
That's how much oil has been pumped out from under it...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"John wrote in message

Ever sail a boat out of sight of land?

John B.

Does fog count?

I'm not sure, but I don't think it should. Otherwise one might be out
of sight of land in one's driveway :-)

It counts in Galveston Bay.
The big guys are in the channel.
But where is the channel???
Nothing like floating blind and suddenly hearing a massive fog horn.

But that isn't a unique experience. A great many places have congested
navigation.

Truth be told, though, I dislike Galveston Bay.
There is so much oil equipment everywhere that you have to keep a
sharp eye on your position just to avoid a well head or something
else terribly hard.

As an aside...
In the 1950s the average depth of Galveston Bay was 4 feet.
Now it's 12 feet.
That's how much oil has been pumped out from under it...

That seems like a lot of subsidence. In central Bangkok ground
subsistence from pumping artesian wells is about 3 feet in some 30
years, or so.

But maybe if we stop all this depleting of our own natural resources
and instead import oil from some of the less salubrious parts of the
world :-)

Think what a help it will be for our less developed neighbors... all
that oil money flooding into the economy :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You's purty smart fer an apple fahmah.

The shamy is a fishing machine, every other criteria takes a secondary
consideration.

Whatever you do, don't compare the price of fish with the cost of the
boat around her. The ROI would be in the decades, if not centuries.

--
Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I am armed.)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Pearson Triton on Lake Superior
Same with half the other power boats in the Owned catagory.

Mess with Superior...and you are likely to never be found.

--
"A "Liberal Paradise" would be a place where everybody has
guaranteed employment,free comprehensive healthcare,
free education, free food, free housing, free clothing,
free utilities, and only Law Enforcement has guns.
And believe it or not, such a place does indeed exist . . . It's called PRISON.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You still own it? Tasars are a blast!!