Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bogus MSC survey -- beware

Many of us purchase from MSC.

I just got an e-mail purporting to be from MSC, and asking me to
take part in a survey.

Some things about it made me suspicious, so I checked the
headers, and discovered that it had come via the Netherlands (.nl),
*and* that the URL was sending me to a site there as well.

More examination of the URL showed that one of the components of
it was name.dll (Windows "Dynamic Link Library") -- in other words,
something which could become a part of the OS -- likely either opening a
backdoor to allow external logins, or to download and install a virus -
or both.

It was offering $25.00 for taking the time to fill out the
survey, sent either to the charity of my choice, or to me personally.

I called the normal ordering number, and told the order taker
about this. She did not know anything other than that MSC did sometimes
send out surveys, and agreed with me that this did sound suspicious, so
she talked to her supervisor, and came back with the request that, if
possible, I should send a copy to an address which she gave me.

It is now in their hands (including fully intact headers), but
probably won't be opened until tomorrow's workforce arrives. I doubt
that they will be able to trace down and shut down the originators of
this.

However, I suspect that they may start issuing warnings when you
call to place an order -- or adding them to their web-based order forms.

Anyway -- *beware*.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/29/2012 8:14 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:
[...]

Golly, DoN, I think I saw that one, or one like it, two years ago.